Maserati Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From Automotive News.

Maserati to launch convertible GranTurismo:

"Maserati will launch a convertible version of its four-seat GranTurismo coupe next year. Maserati needs a third product to reach its 12,000-car sales target by 2011."

·
Registered
695 Posts
Rumours keep saying a folding hardtop.

As an owner of a BMW E93 four-seat hardtop convertible and seeing the complexity of the mechanisms involved as the top splits and stacks in the trunk...well an Italian version scares me. :)

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
i have better confidence as chances are pininfarina will do a great job at it.
most likely it will have to be a 2 seater to do that...
but then again, even the M3 is getting its HT convertible soon... for 1/2 the price...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Here is the text of the full article. It looks like it will be a soft top for the GT.

DETROIT -- Maserati will launch a convertible version of its four-seat GranTurismo coupe next year.

Maserati needs a third product to reach its 12,000-car sales target by 2011.

" The convertible will go on sale in March 2009, but we have not decided yet at which show we will unveil it," a company source told Automotive News Europe at the auto show here.

Maserati's 2007 volume was 7,353 units, up from 5,714 units in 2006, according to preliminary sales figures. The company will announce its official sales results January 24.

Maserati's lineup includes the Quattroporte upper-premium sedan and GranTurismo hardtop coupe. Last year, Maserati sold 5,300 Quattroportes and 1,300 units of the GranTurismo. The remaining sales came from the previous-generation Coupe and Spyder, which are no longer in production.

The GranTurismo convertible will feature a canvas softtop, a feature also offered by rivals such as the BMW 6 series and the Mercedes-Benz CLK class.

For 2007, Maserati expects to report its first full-year operating profit since it joined the Fiat family 17 years ago.

In the first nine months of 2007, Maserati's revenues grew 29.3 percent to 485 million euros. During the same period, the company reported an operating profit of 6 million euros, up from a loss of 32 million euros during the same period in 2006.

With the addition of the GranTurismo convertible, Maserati expects to surpass 10,000 sales in 2009, up from about 9,000 units anticipated this year.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Wow, a canvas top! I was thinking my next car would have a folding or fixed metal roof, canvas is sort of back to my teenage years. Of course canvas is lighter but it's nice to have the choice of a quiet interior with the top up.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
wow, a canvas top!
now if they are comparing it to 6er and CLK, which are both 4 seaters, would the GT convertible be a 4 seater as well?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts