Maserati Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
It depends a lot on what kind of use you have in mind. If it's a once in a while "spirit" driving the 348 might be better, but if you're thinking about something close to daily driving the Spyder is the way to go. The 348 seems to be a very problematic car and the maintenance is going to be way more expensive than the Spyder. It's a 10 year older car, no power steering, no "real" AC and less power. I personally would never buy a 348 because I heard way too many negative things about it on fchat.com, but I confess that I never drove one. I've driven the 328 and Mondial and was very disappointed with the power (or lack of it) and the lack of power steering.

I'm sure you can buy a 355 for about the same money, and that's a great car. But still, maintenance is going to be expensive.

·
5,887 Posts
Going through the UK classifieds recently, I noticed that 2002-2004 Maserati Spyders and 90-93 348 GTBs are now almost exactly the same price.

Which is the better buy ?
This really is like comparing apples and oranges. The Ferrari is a sports car and the Maserati is a grand tourer. Two different cars with two very different purposes. Here is a very recent discussion on the F355 vs. 4200...

http://www.maseratilife.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5009

I'm sure you can buy a 355 for about the same money, and that's a great car. But still, maintenance is going to be expensive.
There is still a healthly price spread between the 348 and 355 (if condition, miles, and service history between the two are equal). Sorted 348s are trading for around $45K-$55K (in the US) and sorted 355s are trading for around $65K-$85K (also in the US). At the low end for both cars, there is a 30% price spread. Of course, there are always crazy examples of a 348 that sold for $35K or a 355 that sold for $50K but those one-off sales don't represent the market.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
325 Posts
348 vs maserati spyder

Funny you should ask this question I sold my 348ts 1990 after 18 years of ownership with 18k miles and purchased a 2006 GS spyder . the current owner put only 100 miles on it in 6 months and wants something else and wants to sell the 348ts. I am thinking of purchasing it back, I am the original owner. THe difference between the 2 is nite and day the 348 is pure adrenaline rush and Ferrari feel nothing else compares. Mine had a new suspension springs and sway bar making it almost impossibe to lose the rear end, But for practicality the spyder wins easy to drive easy to own and no cam belt service every 5 years although the 348 engine were bullet proof compared to the 355's. I might just wait for an f430 in a few years with the F1.

2006 Qp sport
2006 GS spyder

·
Super Moderator
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That would be a mistake.

Stay with a 6 speed. No issues associated with F1.

I'd say look at a 360 first. It's better loloking!

Buy that 348 back. Was a mistake to have sold it.
Agree. I have a 360 6 speed and have no interest in trading it for a 430. The 360 has been highly reliable and it is more than quick enough.

·
Registered
325 Posts
348 Vs Maserati Spyder

Now that I'm hearing about a new F1 pump and relay, this makes the maserati seem like a bargain, If I don't buy the 348 back I will probably buy an almost new gran sport coupe.This way I"ll have all three. Am I crazy!

06 QP SPORT
06 GS SPYDER

·
5,887 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
I had a friend who owned a 91 Euro 348TB for over two years. Overall the car was a pleasure to drive and own. The car did require a bit of effort, the Maz will be the easier car to drive, thats for sure. Maintenance wise, its a pretty straitforward car, and the lack of gizmos makes it fairly simple.

Comparing it to the Maser Spyder i drove, i prefere the Ferraris handling and poise, but enjoyed the Masers effortless power and modern features.

It really depends on how often you intend to drive it.....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts