Maserati Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2007 Maserati Quattroporte (Automatic) with 138,xxx km's. For past a a few days, I am hearing this tic tic noise coming from my engine bay when I start the car in the mornings. It usually last 5-10 minutes and goes away as I start driving..

Last time, I had an oil change was at 123,xxx kms.

Any thoughts? Video link below.

Variators? Lifters?

https://drive.google.com/open?id=17GKOOn7fv4-Ec3UQx3a3VLTaI939Gr1q

·
Premium Member
1,464 Posts
Well it doesn't sound like the variator problem, what I hear sounds more like a frozen bearing on a pulley or something. Like maybe the alternator pulley? Or a timing chain roller?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This noise started to come after an Indy shop replaced the Power Steering Pump. Could it be they didn't set the tensioner correctly?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Shop is saying to replace both of the belts. Around $600 for parts / labour. Could this noise be coming from the belt(s)?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I believe there is a supertine belt and then there is a strechy belt which runs from the water pump to crankshaft.

I have ordered both of the belts for $95 including $25 shipping to Canada. They are set to arrive on Tuesday.

Is it something that I can replace myself without going to the dealer? I would really apperciate some pointers.

·
Premium Member
1,042 Posts
I believe there is a supertine belt and then there is a strechy belt which runs from the water pump to crankshaft.

I have ordered both of the belts for $95 including $25 shipping to Canada. They are set to arrive on Tuesday.

Is it something that I can replace myself without going to the dealer? I would really apperciate some pointers.
Yes, it is very easy. Best idea is to download a picture of the belt pattern (belt-side pic of any F136 engine), so you know how to snake the belt.

On the wet sump car, you first remove the small belt to the pump, then the serpentine, as the serpentine belt is behind it. There is a spring-loaded tensioner pulley just below and to the left of the fixed ilder pully. The idler pulley is the only pulley "bolted" on to the engine mounted above the AC compressor. Just turn the tensioner pulley (forgot which direction because I've done it from below and above the car, but you'll know when you turn it) to release the tension and slide the belt off of either the idler pulley or the alternator, whichever is in reach.

Then, just reverse the steps to reinstall.

You will notice that installation is a little more difficult than the removal because the belts are new and tight. Just be patient - you can do it!

TIP - use a large socket handle extension or breaker bar to turn the tensioner bolt when releasing the tension. This frees up your strength to remove / install the belt while giving you extra clearance above the cramped space in front of the engine. It isn't difficult to turn so don't force it - the extra bar length just gives you leverage.

TIP 2: Some cars have a cover that hides the belt by covering the pulleys and is bolted to the front of the engine via 1-2" standoffs. This cover, in my opinion, is a waste and contributes to the collection of debris and soot on the front of the engine. Mine never had one of these covers so I can easily reach down and clean the front of my engine when i feel it is necessary. If you have the cover, you can reinstall, or keep it off, depending on your taste.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts