Maserati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm curious - I like the current lineup of Maseratis with their Coupes and Spiders - but I don't have a perfect sense of what they're like to drive and own. It seems Maserati/Ferrari/Fiat/Alfa is having trouble deciding whether or not to build Alfas 8C showcar, which uses the 4.2L engine although maybe in a slightly different set up.
It's this car and at Pebble Beach they showed the spider version of it - although it is less clear if that car might be built. Recently there were reports that Fiat/Alfa had decided to build 500 8C coupes.

Anyways I think the concept car is a lot more sporty than the Maserati Coupe with only 2 seats and a more aggressive character. It also seems like the replacement Maserati Coupe/Spider will be larger and maybe a bit more like a SL?
So my question is do you think an Alfa 8C would cannibalize sales of Maseratis?

·
Registered
530 Posts
A couple of weeks ago, 4Car reported Alfa had the go ahead to produce 500 units.

Today Leftlane reports Fiat's decided not to build it fearing it would cannibalize sales of the 4200.

I wish someone at Fiat would figure out what they want to do with Alfa and Maserati. The only clear strategy seems to be "build more QP".

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've seen both stories but I doubt the source of the second one that says production plans have been scrapped. All the leftlanenews, autoblog.it/.com stories come from fastdrive and that 'story' is undated and seems uncorroborated.
I realize almost every Fiat project plan is fluid - but I'm curious to know if Maserati owners would consider the 8C. I'm not even sure if its in the same price range, as I think the 8C might be $150+.

·
Registered
530 Posts
If they only build 500 you're probably correct to peg the price around $150,000. For me the engine would be the critical factor. If it's the Maserati V-8 or a new Alfa Six or turbo six then probably yes, if it's a rewarmed GM 6 then no.

It's a beautiful car. If Alfa doesn't build it, lose the Milanese coat-of-arms, give it the V-8, stick on a Trident et voila the new Spyder/Coupe

·
Registered
530 Posts
Latest news on the 8C

Alfa Romeo 8C Competizione
Further details of the brand's stunning 8C Competizione have emerged in the run-up to the Paris Motor Show

By Ross Pinnock
20th September 2006

Further details of the brand's stunning 8C Competizione have emerged in the run-up to the Paris Motor Show. The two-seater will feature advanced lightweight carbon body panels and an all-new 4.7-litre V8, developed in conjunction with Maserati. This powerplant produces 450bhp and 470Nm of torque which, combined with the lightweight construction, should ensure blistering performance. It will sound the part as well, thanks to electronically controlled valves in the exhaust system.

This powerplant produces 450bhp and 470Nm of torque which, combined with the lightweight construction, should ensure blistering performance

The new Alfa is fitted with a Ferrari-style semi-automatic transmission, so drivers can use paddles on the steering column to change up and down ratios. Meanwhile, the seats are made of carbon fibre, while double-wishbone suspension will ensure the Competizione has handling to match its looks.

Prices are set to start at £100,000, or about £20,000 less that the entry-level Ferrari F430. But with an annual production run of only 500, customers will be guaranteed exclusivity when the 8C arrives in showrooms next year.

·
Registered
114 Posts
as far as i know those 500 units are already 'gone' and since there is
no intention to extent the units it is going to be though to get one
of these beauty beasts..., they may produce another 2 - 500
spider versions......

more to come after the Paris car exhebition where the 8C 'officially'
gets announced as production car.

as for the performance, the 8C 'should' outperform current 4200
versions, target performance around 450 BhP.

cheers
iwan

·
Registered
196 Posts
As an alfista, and hopefully soon-ish to be maseratista, I would love to see that 8c alfa go into production. I would be sorely tempted if th e8c Alfa were in the same price bracket as the Maser coupe. However, the Maser coupe has been around and depreicated examples are plentiful. Also, I need the back seats. So I would go for a Maser Coupe at this time.

The Alfa may go the way of the "monstro" sz of the 1980s. I think they ended up making quite a few more than initially anticipated. Love that car.

·
Registered
530 Posts
That reference to 500 "annual production" certainly does seem to leave the door open to making more.

I'm kinda ticked that while development of the coupe/spyder has proceeded in fits and starts, Alfa has managed to take a car from concept to production using a Maserati engine larger and more powerful than any available in a Maserati!

It's a looker all right!

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm hopeful that the Maserati coupe replacement will be spectacular in it's own way. While I agree it's too bad the Alfa gets the new 4.7L version of the 8C first, I'm glad to see it's a great improvement over the old 4.2.

·
Premium Member
208 Posts
I do hope it goes into production but think it will be a poster child for steep depreciation. I am not sure how they are going to convince buyers at this price point not to spend a few extra $$$ to get the 430

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Boxer said:
I do hope it goes into production but think it will be a poster child for steep depreciation. I am not sure how they are going to convince buyers at this price point not to spend a few extra $$$ to get the 430
unless they make the 430 with CF body and limited production, i think the 8C is more intriguing.

·
Registered
909 Posts
Not to mention if you were going to get a 430 at sticker you're already in line for a year or four. If you're trying to bypass the line, it's gonna run you at least $250k, and probably more.

I thought I heard the 8c competicione would be 500 units in combined coupe and spider numbers worldwided, but the 8c as a model would continue past that?

·
Registered
530 Posts
I'd heard 500 of coupe and spyder each, but only a one year run. Guess we'll find out soon!

Guess I'm not sure how the Ferrari "waiting list" works. If there's a list, how do non customer cars get built for over sticker sales? FMSV has three 430s sitting on the showroom floor right now.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah it's too bad it seems like the Spider won't be built. Although maybe that's just their way of ensuring demand for the coupe.

I did a poll on another neutral forum of the 8C vs the Audi R8 and it was 2 to 1 in favor of the Alfa. I think it says a lot for the style of the Alfa in the face of the abundant technology of the Audi.

I suppose if people see the Alfa and find it's a bit out of reach (does that happen in this market segment?) they may opt for the Maserati next to it in the showroom.

·
Registered
114 Posts
if you go for the 8C, the question becomes obsolete, the 8C is - unfortunately
sold out.... 500 Units and within 15 days 1,000 orders received...

cheers
iwan

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
About this Discussion
21 Replies
9 Participants
Cmaser
Maserati Forum
We’re a forum to discuss the Maserati Coupé, Spyder, GranTurismo, Ghibli, Quattroporte and more!
Full Forum Listing