Maserati Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am changing the oil myself and wanted to know if there was an equivalent oil filter that can be used instead of the purflux filter I get at the dealership for $30 dollars. Is there anything that is used that can be picked up at autozone or something like that? Oh I have a 2002 Sypder Cambiocorsa

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Nope. I heard a horror story from my buddy about a maserati that used a Fram and had to get a new engine: The engine sucked up the oil filter's insides :O

·
Registered
98 Posts
Oil filter cross reference

Nope. I heard a horror story from my buddy about a maserati that used a Fram and had to get a new engine: The engine sucked up the oil filter's insides :O
If you have any more info about the Fram filter fiasco please post or email. It would be of interest to several of us here.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
It wasnt a cross reference... He coudlnt find a proper cross, so he chose one that "looked and fitted" right...

End result was a brand new engine.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
The filter is cheaper at

formuladynamics or Park Place Maserati in Dallas. Scott the parts guy will mail you the filter for 26.00, everything including the shipping.

·
Registered
793 Posts
---wanted to know if there was an equivalent oil filter that can be used instead of the purflux filter I get at the dealership for $30 dollars.
That's a small price to pay for peace of mind! Stay with the OEM.

When BMW introduced the 1600 and then 2002 series, oil filters were somewhat expensive for the period. So some folks tried alternatives which exploded from the high oil pressures.

Don't have to tell you what that does to an engine!

If you are saving a few $'s by changing the oil yourself, be pleased that you are able to do that but stay with the OEM purflux filters!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts