Maserati Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quick link to Maserati OBD-II codes
Maserati OBD-II Trouble Codes | AutoNation Maserati of Stevens Creek

Though my dealership service techs like to use terminology different than a code may describe ... No code ever mentions Engine Control Module (ECM) or Ignition Control Module (ICM) most of us commonly use ... is ECM and ICM the same or different in what each may actually control/monitor ..

4,129 Posts
I'm a little confused...Are you asking a question? That is how I understood it....You have an engine ECM that controls all fueling and ignition for the engine plus other stuff.... No such thing as ICM...It is all controlled by the engine ECM on most cars...Some cars had a powertrain modules that controlled the engine and the transmission, but that was more of an American car thing....Jason

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm a little confused...Are you asking a question? That is how I understood it....You have an engine ECM that controls all fueling and ignition for the engine plus other stuff.... No such thing as ICM...It is all controlled by the engine ECM on most cars...Some cars had a powertrain modules that controlled the engine and the transmission, but that was more of an American car thing....Jason
Jason .. Mostly just sharing info and that there is a lot of different terminology being used and most of us are acquainted with American made auto terminology ... But I certainly post the repair invoice where it’s states “Ignition Control Module” written by the Ferrari/Maserati Dealer Service Department where I live ... but I offered the Maserati OBD-II only because many people in the forum have been asking about them ... But there is different terminology being used that confuses some folks ... The link I offered has the OBD-II Codes and descriptions ... Not one code description mentions either ECM/ECU or ICM ... They use PCM TCM BECM
I also offer a “google” result excerpt ...
“The ECU is your car's main computer. The engine control unit (ECU), also commonly referred to as the engine control module (ECM) or powertrain control module (PCM), is one of the most important components found on virtually all modern vehicles.”
My Mazda Service people used the term ECU not ECM ...
And now the Italians use neither ... Just interesting ...

4,129 Posts
I'm not positive if you are trying to debate me on these things or what? I'm pretty familiar with all the terminology and I agree that certain people call different ECUs different names...Like I mentioned before...There is no ignition control module for a Maserati.....It is a combined unit that controls fueling and ignition formally known as Motronic by Bosch.. Been around since maybe the late 80s....Long before people starting using Google...Regard..Jason

1 - 4 of 4 Posts