Maserati Forum banner

21 - 40 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
2013 GTC MC
596 Posts
Dang that’s crazy, I can’t see someone getting an MC20 over a 488GTB at that kind of price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Oh... there will always be those who will to be different and those who have enough money for both.

I mean, the regular GT and GC were stickered around $130-170k depending on year and trim and people bought them up so we can enjoy them at discount prices. For that money they could've easily bought any of the V8 or California models and chose the GT/GC.

·
Registered
2018 Maserati Granturismo Sport Convertible
1,582 Posts
Also, I think that there is a lot of pent-up demand for a Maserati supercar. Ever since the MC-12 came out with an Enzo engine, enthusiasts have been salivating for a modern replacement. The brand name still carries a lot of prestige as well as mystique to many people. Also, my guess is that most of the MC-20 buyers already have a Ferrari or a Lambo and this just adds to their collection.

·
Registered
2013 Maserati GranTurismo MC
201 Posts
My local rep told me last month that it will sticker around $250K base. Close to $300K or over with options.

1st allocation already sold out from what I was told.
$250K+ sounds steep...who are they aiming for? Ferrari and Lambo? If they want to get back in the game, it might be better to aim for the $200K group of R8, 911, etc. Unless Maserati sees themselves as better than those and in the same category as Ferrari, Lambo, etc. Let's see how this plays out.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
$250K+ sounds steep...who are they aiming for? Ferrari and Lambo? If they want to get back in the game, it might be better to aim for the $200K group of R8, 911, etc. Unless Maserati sees themselves as better than those and in the same category as Ferrari, Lambo, etc. Let's see how this plays out.
Well just on initial specs alone, the MC-20 looks to perform as well as any Ferrari or Lambo. Also, most people see Maserati as a brand on the same level as those other Italian rivals. So why not? If you can afford $200K, why not $250K? People buying cars at this level are not penny-pinchers.

·
Registered
2013 Maserati GranTurismo MC
201 Posts
Well just on initial specs alone, the MC-20 looks to perform as well as any Ferrari or Lambo. Also, most people see Maserati as a brand on the same level as those other Italian rivals. So why not? If you can afford $200K, why not $250K? People buying cars at this level are not penny-pinchers.
The specs maybe up to par but Maserati hasn't made a proper supercar in some time now....they need to make a case for themselves. I believe there are those that have FU money and can throw $300K towards a MC20 just to try out the new thing on the block. But those that are serious about buying a $250K+ car to enjoy for what they are may take a look at it but hard to say no to Ferrari's heritage at that price.

While Maserati is still considered an Italian exotic, flooding the market with Ghiblis and Levantes doesn't help to maintain exclusivity in the same way Ferrari, Lambo, Astons do. I really hope Maserati gets this right and the MC20 puts it back in the game.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I think the leaked renders will be close to the real reveal, but I have doubts that it's 100% legit.

We'll find out in a matter of hours anyways :sneaky:

·
Premium Member
794 Posts

At first look, I love it. Just what the brand needs. 630hp with a 3200lb weight. McLaren supercar looks. Please save the value of our cars from the sewer.
I dont think this car will do anything to save the value of our cars. They are two completely different animals.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Well, churning out cheap-lease badge-engineered Chrysler 300s isn't helping whatsoever.

I know they're completely different classes of cars, but for the many who can't afford an MC20, the GT will be the next best thing.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
I dont think this car will do anything to save the value of our cars. They are two completely different animals.
Yup, the MC-20 represents a new "halo" car for the Maserati. It finally gives them the street cred to go up against other high-priced exotics. It will be produced in very limited numbers and marketed to a totally different clientele.

·
Premium Member
2013 GTS Coupe
2,773 Posts
No official info / unveiling yet ?! WTH, it’s already mid-day in Europe !! ( presuming the reveal originates in Italy ) .

As for the pricing I think other cars in a comparable cost range will be of no interest to the MC20 buyer .. it’s a very targeted “I want this Maserati“ state of mind, none of the buyers are going to go comparison shopping .. perhaps not unlike the $ 200,000 Alfa Romeo 8 C . I’m sure there were plenty of more prestigious sports cars buyers could have had, but they wanted that Alfa at any cost ..for whatever their reasons maybe have been ; exclusivity, brand loyalty , etc. I think this wiIl be similar with the MC20. Unless of course they produce a s**tload of them .

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Such a shame they didn't go with a V8. I'm sure this was mainly due to stricter efficiency and environmental regulations in Europe, but even a turbo V8 sounds better than a turbo V6.

I guess it could've been worse.....it could be all-electric. (But maybe that is eventually coming anyways...Lol).

·
Premium Member
2013 GTS Coupe
2,773 Posts
It’s a shame they didn’t go with a V12 in a car this unique ! May be considered “old style“ by some, but Ferrari, Aston Martin, and a few others evidently disagree ; many new models being released and planned with V12s, some twin turbo V12s, flipping the bird to all those economy, technology, environmentally obsessed folks. IMHO, needed a 12, but at the very least an 8 . As for electric cars ...ugh, don’t even get me started . 😠🤮

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
It’s a shame they didn’t go with a V12 in a car this unique ! May be considered “old style“ by some, but Ferrari, Aston Martin, and a few others evidently disagree ; many new models being released and planned with V12s, some twin turbo V12s, flipping the bird to all those economy, technology, environmentally obsessed folks. IMHO, needed a 12, but at the very least an 8 . As for electric cars ...ugh, don’t even get me started . 😠🤮
V12 from who?! Now that Maserati no longer has a partnership with Ferrari, that is not even a consideration. Also, Maserati's pockets are not deep enough to invest the millions of R&D dollars necessary to build their own V12, let alone for such a limited production vehicle.

My guess is that they're using the same turbo V6 from the Ghibli/Levante but tuned it way up. A much cheaper way to go.

·
Premium Member
2013 GTS Coupe
2,773 Posts
That’s true , the cost may have been prohibitive, I didn‘t think of that aspect, assuming that FCA would support a venture like that , but I can see the lack of ROI would kill the idea in its tracks .

·
Registered
9 Posts
it was already revealed in July
"The MC20 will be powered by a 100% “made in Modena” 3.0-liter twin-turbo V6 called Nettuno, which is Neptune in Italian (Maserati, trident, Neptune, get it?). The new dual-injected, dual spark plug mill will make 621 hp and 538 planet-twisting lb-ft of torque."

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
What is more important for you guys, prestige or performance an agility? If performance and agility counts a lightweight V6 with a capacity of more than 200hp per liter is the right choice.

If you are looking for prestige go and buy an old heavy F12 or whatever, and best of all additionally with hat and walking aid...

21 - 40 of 62 Posts