Maserati Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think it was the worst idea that maserati let people pick/choose the color combos on their interiors, I have seen some hideous and horrendous interior color combinations, and I think this has something to do with the screwed up resale values of our cars. Its gotta be. I always notice the cheaper the car, the worse the color combo. I had to fly halfway accross the country to find a color combo that looked normal when I got my Gransport.

What were people thinking? Its like one of the most tasteless things I have seen when looking at some of the colors that some owners ordered from the factory. Totally disgusting! Anybody else feel the same?

·
Registered
524 Posts
Yup - seen some dooozies!

I was happy to find my Coupe in Silver with plain black interior. Just a single piping on the dash of grey ties in and ext.

I don't know if these cars drive the market lower for the ones with good looking interior colors.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Frankly this was a second reason why I got a coupe and not a GS. That slick shiny silk suit look of the interior on many GS cars was a turn off.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Try looking at Gallardos. Almost all of the ones on autotrader <$100k are yellow. Fortunately, I like yellow, but not everyone does. I saw a metallic lime green one a while ago. I guess no such thing as a subtle Lambo.

I love my "boring" coupe, silver with tan and a 3rd pedal.

·
5,887 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Color As Price Variable

Travis pointed out color as a missing variable in my price model:

http://www.maseratilife.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8713

I thought about that but because there are so many colors I feel that it is not viable to include price as a variable in a linear model.

However it may well be that color explains a good part of the 40% of price variability not accounted for by age and mileage.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Travis pointed out color as a missing variable in my price model:

http://www.maseratilife.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8713

I thought about that but because there are so many colors I feel that it is not viable to include price as a variable in a linear model.

However it may well be that color explains a good part of the 40% of price variability not accounted for by age and mileage.
You could add a consideration for a Tasteful Color factor in your price model. A bit subjective but if the user of the model thinks it is tasteful then it is worth a + and if the user thinks it is not-tasteful a - on price.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I think...

I think it was the worst idea that maserati let people pick/choose the color combos on their interiors, I have seen some hideous and horrendous interior color combinations, and I think this has something to do with the screwed up resale values of our cars. Its gotta be. I always notice the cheaper the car, the worse the color combo. I had to fly halfway accross the country to find a color combo that looked normal when I got my Gransport.

What were people thinking? Its like one of the most tasteless things I have seen when looking at some of the colors that some owners ordered from the factory. Totally disgusting! Anybody else feel the same?
... a strange (some would say unique) exterior/interior color combination will negatively impact the resale value of that particular car, but not the entire class of cars.

Undoubtedly, however, Maserati intends these cars to be far up the luxury scale and the ability for the purchaser to customize his/her automobile to his/her liking is an important part of the Maserati experience.

Unfortunately, that ability to personalize a vehicle allows for some truly awful color combinations. Taste is in the eye of the beholder, I am afraid, and there is no accounting for it. Of course, when a purchaser is designing "his" vehicle I don't really think that the issue of resale value is ever considered. It's akin to buying a bespoke suit.

For my tastes, I generally prefer the more understated color combinations and styling look that Maserati has traditionally followed.

Your larger point that the more "classic" color combinations typically fetch higher resale values is definitely true.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts