Maserati Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone recommend an insurance company the covers Maserati in NJ? We've had Liberty Mutual for many years, but tried to add a Maserati to the policy today and they don't insure them -- Ferraris are fine, Maseratis are not covered. We just bought the Maserati and are scheduled to pick up the car tomorrow but have no insurance. Any recommendations?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Can anyone recommend an insurance company the covers Maserati in NJ? We've had Liberty Mutual for many years, but tried to add a Maserati to the policy today and they don't insure them -- Ferraris are fine, Maseratis are not covered. We just bought the Maserati and are scheduled to pick up the car tomorrow but have no insurance. Any recommendations?
I have Nationwide and have all my insurance with them. They intially declined me as well. A lot of times a car is rejected due to the ignorance of the underwriter about the brand. My suggestion would be to ask that your agent have a senior underwriter review your request. Give them some comparison cars in the category, fax them a few pictures and possibly how much you plan to drive the car etc. (if it works to your advantage). Get creative - you are making a sales pitch to the underwriter. Someone up the chain of command has the right to make the exception and it makes no sense to decline the Mazz if they will insure a higher risk car (Ferrari). Don't forget to mention all the other business they already have of yours and use it as leverage for going somewhere else with all of your policies....

·
Registered
528 Posts
I have NJ Mfg ins.
A similar deal, in that it took them a few days to be able to quote on the policy. ( What's a Maserati? )

In the end, they came through, for just a few hundred more than my BMW 325 was costing me.

·
Premium Member
726 Posts
I live in PA and use State Farm, if that helps. There were no issues getting coverage.

·
Registered
742 Posts
NJM ALL the Way

I second NJ Manufacturers Insurance Co.

Excellent customer service and great rates. I have them for my home, and autos.

It took a few days to get a quote on my Maz but in the end, it was not a problem and cost a few hundred more than my CLK 430.

Good luck.

CM

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Leland West and Haggerty...

Those are the two that I have used here in Colorado....

·
Registered
49 Posts
ins

here in Calif, I use state farm as well. No issues, good rates. a little more
than my bee-mer. And they knew what a Maserati was.

·
Registered
286 Posts
well at least they told you up front. i have a 2000 corvette and had Ga farm Bureau insurance. 2 months into the policy i got a cancellation notice stating they do not insure fiberglass cars.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks everyone for the feedback. Going back to Liberty Mutual did work -- I didn't try to escalate through the rep we were working with, but took the Russian Roulette approach of calling the general number again and working with whoever got assigned. Fortunately it was a different rep and she just took the info and added it to the policy. I will be dealing with this rep going forward.

We just picked up the car and it's the first time I got the chance to drive it at length. These cars are amazing to drive and (to me) unbelievably fast when you put your foot into it. My wife just drove if for first time and she absolutely loves it. Now, if we can only figure out how to park it on a hill without it rolling down -- takes a very strong pull on parking brake to hold.

Thanks again for the advice!

·
Registered
5 Posts
New Jersey Manufacturers insured mine without any problem... Only cost a little more than my (replaced) Jaguar XK8. They obviously didn't get too MANY Maseratis... :)

·
Registered
31 Posts
NJ Insurance Law

I see you've been taken care of by your existing company, Liberty Mutual. That said however, maybe this can help for "next time" or for any other reader here from NJ. I went through incredible hoops the day I was to pick up my '04 CC several years ago and ultimately discovered that there is a law in NJ that prohibits insurance companies from denying an existing customer coverage for a car being added to the policy. So for anyone else out there in this situation, don't get sucked into any discussion about the "why's" and "wherefore's" as to whether the company provides coverage when you can now know going into it, that they absolutely MUST provide the coverage and start limiting the discussion to the matter of rates and types of coverage.

Hope that helps.
Carl

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I see you've been taken care of by your existing company, Liberty Mutual. That said however, maybe this can help for "next time" or for any other reader here from NJ. I went through incredible hoops the day I was to pick up my '04 CC several years ago and ultimately discovered that there is a law in NJ that prohibits insurance companies from denying an existing customer coverage for a car being added to the policy. So for anyone else out there in this situation, don't get sucked into any discussion about the "why's" and "wherefore's" as to whether the company provides coverage when you can now know going into it, that they absolutely MUST provide the coverage and start limiting the discussion to the matter of rates and types of coverage.

Hope that helps.
Carl
This is great info -- did not know there was a law and it would have helped had I not found a workaround. Hopefully someone else will benefit from your note. Thanks Carl.

Regards,
Peter

1 - 15 of 15 Posts