Maserati Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to buy a used Maserati QP and use it as my daily driver. I currently have a two-seater american sports car. The winter storage and lack of 4 seats is making it too much of a hassle. Here in Calgary, the winters are very long and cold (and somewhat snowy). Last week it was -30 degrees (before wind chill). Obviously I would get a block heater installed, but am I just asking for trouble with a QP in this climate or can it be reliable in the cold?

Also, if anyone has a clue as to where I can get a Maserati serviced in this town I would be appreciative.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Calgary

I live in Calgary and I have an 04 Spyder. These cars do not like extremely cold weather. It takes at least 20 minuties to warm up and pretty rough throttle response up that point. Also, I run 20W50 Motul racing oil which is like tar in winter. If you want this as a daily driver for a Calgary winter I would recommend against it not only because of what I just noted but also due to the CC transmission and 20" wheels - not an ideal combo for starting on icy surfaces even with snow tires (I struggle with my 07 G35 RWD).

I have used ZR for service (very expensive) and checked out Alessandro (looks competent for OEM type work). I have also looked in to Autoleader (recommended by Tunerworks) - lots of passion but teh shop looks like hell.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Warm up time

I have an '04 Spyder as well here north of Detroit, and took it to work today since the outside temp eeked above 40F. I let it warm up for a couple of minutes, but perhaps that was not enough because as I started down the street in first, the engine would lose all power and RPM and sort of stutter - I had to slowly coax it up to speed. It went away a moment later, but has done that before when I first start driving it cold.

Is this typical? Do I need to let it warm up longer?

·
Registered
72 Posts
FlashGordon,

Check out Sheni's just off McLeod. He's a guy I had to bring my wife's old Audi to, and he was as honest as they come. I just bought my '03 Coupe, and haven't needed any work done as of today.... but that's going to change very quickly. I'll likely bring it to Sheni!

Dave

·
5,887 Posts
1 - 5 of 5 Posts