Maserati Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am now the proud owner of my first Maserati (03 Cambiocorsa) so am inexperienced in some of the 'quirks' of my new toy. Specifically I dont know whether I am getting the prelude to a breakdown or part failure or whether this is normal behaviour for a Maserati.

Basically, I have noticed a 'clunk clunk' noise on gear change. It is most noticeable when the car changes itself down to first. There is only a single 'clunk' if you shift into neutral. It is quite a dull noise and not really loud or metallic (not a grinding sound) and it is not continuous. It is difficult to tell where it comes from but I would guess where the gear shift would be on a manual. I have read so much on this forum about clutches and F1 pumps so I wonder whether this is indicative of wear and imminent failure of one of these? The car has done 14,000 miles and I have no reason to believe it was driven particularly hard.

I have also noticed that when pulling away from standing the car starts accelerating off then there is a sudden surge of power (rather like turbo lag). Is this normal or another sign of clutch wear?

Of course I could just be being uber sensitive.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Sounds like my 03 Spyder. The clunking is the gear shifting. As you get more comfortable with the CC the clunks will get softer. Just like working a clutch, you have to learn how to modulate the throttle level and speed at which you shift. The one that remains pretty noticeable is the downshift into first at stop signs. Anyway, as long as it isn't a loud or grinding type of noise, it appears normal.
The other behavior is the MSP working. With MSP on, the car ensures that the wheels don't slip. You feel this most in two situations:
- When aggressively accelerating from a dead stop, as the MSP computer decides, after some delay, that it can begin transferring power to the wheels
- When coming out of an aggressive curve, where you might have been drifting a little bit. There will be a noticeable lag while the computer again waits until all the wheels are going the same speed, with no slip, before applying power.
Overall, I think what you are experiencing is probably normal.
Mike

·
Registered
114 Posts
I have the same exact "features" in a QP2004 with a gearbox replaced in late 2005. The clunk-clunk while automatic downshifting is most pronounced when the car is starting to warm up, i.e. not yet at a optimal temperature. Believe this to be normal, as long as its dull sound only you hear (not your girlfriend/wife. BTW, I find this a good way of know if its my head or the car playing up ;)).

The "turbolag" effect is even more surprising, only happens from standstill in first and I suspect is has something to do with MSP stopping the wheels from spinning. I haven't had chance to experiment with this, but it does cause problems for example when taking on a Carrera 4; fortunately once the full engine power is going to the wheels the Porkies are in the backmirror. Switch of the MSP (hold the button down for 2 sec), but watch out, the car is temperamental in this mode. The Ferrari within, comes out.

- Toffe

1 - 3 of 3 Posts