Maserati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am buying a car soon, and I narrowed it down to 3 cars, maserati GS, Porsche turbo s, and bmw m6. I just have question about maserati. People say that maseratis are heavy, and have bad throttle responses. i guess it is the slowest of the three, but is there an aftermarket upgrading company like RUF in porsche?

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
pslee said:
I am buying a car soon, and I narrowed it down to 3 cars, maserati GS, Porsche turbo s, and bmw m6. I just have question about maserati. People say that maseratis are heavy, and have bad throttle responses. i guess it is the slowest of the three, but is there an aftermarket upgrading company like RUF in porsche?
RUF is a registered manufacturing company who can supply their own VIN to their fully tuned vehicles, much like the newer 9ff; or Alpina for BMW. I don't think there is such an equivalent for Maserati.

Have you driven the GS, 996 Turbo S, or the M5? (i don't think M6's are here yet.)

·
Registered
390 Posts
The Maserati is certainly lighter than the M5 or 650 by a good few hundred pounds. It sure doesn't feel heavy.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Apples and Oranges

Porsche and BMW are, in comparison to Maserati, mass market cars.

In the first half of 2005, BMW sold 145,000 cars (including Minis) in the US, Porsche sold 16,000. In ALL of 2005 Maserati sold 2100 cars of all types here. Worldwide sales were only 5600.

If I take a drive of any length around the Bay Area, I'll see at least 100 BMWs, probably a dozen Porsches (including the occasional Carrera GT) and frequently a Ferrari, Bentley or Aston Martin. I've only encountered another Maserati on two occasions.

In addition, it's hard to distinguish an M Series from a regular BMW (or IMHO a Saab, Volvo, Lexus, insert other boxy sedan here).

Porsche, although I love them dearly, aren't much better stylistically. Ever since the 993 they've been moving more towards the amorphous blobby styles of Nissan, Toyota and Mitsubishi.

On the other hand, Maserati retains the classic long hood, short deck of the classic sports car (think Ferrari GTO) It's far prettier than either the Porsche or BMW.

Finally there's this exchange from "Gone in 60 Seconds"

[in a Ferrari dealership]

Memphis: Roger, I have a problem...

Roger the Car Salesman: Yes?

Memphis: I've been in L.A. for three months now. I have money, I have taste. But I'm not on anybody's "A" list, and Saturday night is the loneliest night for the week for me.

Roger the Car Salesman: Well, a Ferrari would certainly change that.

Memphis: Perhaps, Mmmm. But, you know, this is the one. Yes, yes yes... I saw three of these parked outside the local Starbucks this morning, which tells me only one thing. There's too many self-Indulgent wieners in this city with too much bloody money! Now, if I was driving a 1967 275 GTB four-cam...

Roger the Car Salesman: You would not be a self-indulgent wiener, sir... You'd be a connoisseur.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Steeldream Quoted:

"If I take a drive of any length around the Bay Area, I'll see at least 100 BMWs, probably a dozen Porsches (including the occasional Carrera GT) and frequently a Ferrari, Bentley or Aston Martin. I've only encountered another Maserati on two occasions."

the funny thing is that I too live in the BayArea and couldn't agree more....However, the 4 times I have seen another Maserati driver next to me and waved and gave a light honk, none of them responded!!! Whats up with that??!!!!

·
Registered
530 Posts
Couldn't say Demoe, once I was on foot in the City and there was a blue Coupe waiting for a light as I crossed the intersection. Gave the guy a thumbs up and got a wave back. Today the QP I saw was parked and empty.

I'm tempted to say it's the self-indugent wiener syndrome. There's a tradition among Porsche drivers to flash your lights when encountering a fellow Porschephile. Almost ALL the 356 drivers will give you a flash or a wave. 90% of the 911 drivers respond. 50% of 993 drivers respond, almost no 996 drivers respond, and Boxster/Cayenne owners start looking for a clean, well-lighted place to pull over and call the cops.

Interestingly I find other drivers bend over backward to be interested and complimentary. I'm always finding myself in conversations in parking lots and gas stations. I don't get that kind of reaction in the Porsche.

·
Premium Member
98 Posts
I took delivery of a 2006 GS about 4 months ago. I use it as a daily driver (although I only put about 400-500 miles per month on the car) and I have to tell you, I could not be happier. I also have to admit that I was blown off the road by a Turbo S on the Pacific Coast Hgwy...It was ugly. It is also a lot more expensive than a GS, but will make it up in the re-sale.

It is a tough choice and I am a GS owner on a Maserati forum. I love the fact that I never see another GS. Even in Los Angeles, I have only seen one other GS just once. It is loud and sensual and a unique driving experience.

I don't like the BMW's. they are not pretty cars and there are too many gadgets. it is more like driving a video game than a car.

good luck!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank for helping me out! Haven't really decided yet, i will take my time and test drive the cars that I have mentioned later on. I am looking at used car market (except BMW M6), and there is a porsche turbo s (996) going for 115k actually. I love the performance of porsches, but maserati definitely looks amazing. So, here i throw another question, what is the feature that you most like about your maserati?

·
Premium Member
98 Posts
GREAT QUESTION!

Features I like best.
1. GS is a truley unique exotic car.
2. The Sound is amazing (sport mode). I love a throaty exhaust.
3. The Exterior styling. It is spectacular.
4. The interior styling, the cockpit is much nice than the 360 Ferrari. I did the all leather inserts and all in black. it is very aggressive.
5. The carbon fiber steering wheel is the best steering wheel i have seen.
6. The reliability-yes, it's true. 4 months and never to the shop!
7. I have only found the same driving experience in a Ferrari or a Lambo, but neither of those could be used as daily drivers.

hope this helps

·
Registered
242 Posts
I love the V8 sound. It was one of the biggest selling features. IMHO, nothing short of a Mustang Saleen or a Ferrari 360 ala Tubi matches the Maser. roar at 4000rpm. Now throw on an aftermarket exhaust and lower it and it truly is sex on wheels.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Maserati...Very Italian

As long time BMW driver… 2 M5’s and 1 M3 I can tell you that I went though the same thing when looking for a new ride. I wanted something that was different as well as a thrill to drive. Had to have 4 seats…as per my wife….yes she was right, on many occasions I have needed the back seat for guests or kids.

I drove the 911 turbo and it goes and does all the tings you want a great sports car to do, but only when you stand on it. I found the 911turbo to be…well boring to drive unless you were just full on!

The GS I have is not the car the German cars are. I think the others are more car for the money. That’s what you get when you buy a mass produced car. But they all lack the passion and over all interest of the Maserati.

I drive mine everyday that it’s not snowing and everyday it gets my attention.
I instruct at the BMW track driving events for the Iowa chapter. I know how to drive a car hard. And I do drive my GS hard….it’s fun and exciting.

The looks. Wow… I think the GS is such a great looking car. Not in your face but so different. Not muscle bound…just buff. In a word beautiful.

I bought the GS for me, not to impress the neighbors but I can tell you that you get nothing but positive reactions. While it’s not number one on my list… it never hurts to have a car that other people think is very cool.

All cars you have mentioned are great cars. But the Maserati is a car with a strong personality. Its strong character either makes you want marry it or send it to the curb.
The best way to some up the Maserati is….it’s Very Italian.

Drive them all and you will know!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Maserati

I have driven the 2005 Coupe and the Porsche. I agree that the Maser is much more exciting to drive than the Porsche. I tend to buy things for me and I like the fact that the Maser does not stand out as much. I don't want to be seen as I am speeding up the pass on the I-15 in California at 100+.

·
Registered
455 Posts
I like the throttle response on the Maserati. Its unique instead of a to b.

The first time I test drove the car, I feathered the accelarator and the car didnt move but made a wonderful sound.

You should go drive all three. Id only drive the turbo and maserati. The bmw is not for me from a visual standpoint.

Regarding other maserati owners, I too have seen several. I gave a wave or a nodd and no response. Maybe
2 out of about 10 made some gesture back.

One woman in the passenger seat of a quatro didnt even know what the coupe was. Totally oblivious to what was sitting right next to her. she finally forced a smile from under the wrinkles, clueless to the fact I was driving a maserati as well. Both occupants had a audible/tubi and visual education as to what I was driving after I downshifted and left them.

Several of the quatroporte drivers I've seen didnt look like they were using the paddles. One barely could see over the steering wheel. I think that car will do much better for status concious folks when the fully automatic becomes available. Then it truly can be the nice, and in their words "practical" replacement to the S Class and 7 Series for these people.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
GregD said:
One woman in the passenger seat of a quatro didnt even know what the coupe was. Totally oblivious to what was sitting right next to her. she finally forced a smile from under the wrinkles, clueless to the fact I was driving a maserati as well. Both occupants had a audible/tubi and visual education as to what I was driving after I downshifted and left them.

Several of the quatroporte drivers I've seen didnt look like they were using the paddles. One barely could see over the steering wheel. I think that car will do much better for status concious folks when the fully automatic becomes available. Then it truly can be the nice, and in their words "practical" replacement to the S Class and 7 Series for these people.
why would you expect the female passenger to know anything about your coupe??? i doubt that she even cared about you or the car. just be nice to them. ;)

may be you like some education too. it's Quattroporte. not quatro.

happy motoring!

·
Registered
88 Posts
To All BAY AREA Maserati Owners

We all should get together and do some real driving, I am in the Bayarea. You know we could drive up the Highway 1 or something like that and just enjoy our cars.

Pick the Maser you will be in a league of ownership unlike anyother

·
Registered
455 Posts
M! said:
why would you expect the female passenger to know anything about your coupe??? i doubt that she even cared about you or the car. just be nice to them. ;)

may be you like some education too. it's Quattroporte. not quatro.

happy motoring!

I guess you had to be there to understand.

and I was abbreviating quattroporte.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
GregD said:
I guess you had to be there to understand.

and I was abbreviating quattroporte.
ok. but if any strangers in any car thumbs up'ing my ladies deserve a strange stare.

sorry. my apologies. i didn't know it was abbreviation (quattroporte -> quatroporte).

1 - 20 of 23 Posts