Discussion Starter #1
Colleagues, may I present you the Coupe successor..... the all new
Maserati GranTurismo....

cheers
iwan

·
Registered
173 Posts
um...I like the back but the front is somewhat strange IMO. Wheels look really agressive...I like it. There are 2 cup holders now:). I want it but what is the price going to be? I will wait at least two years to get it. By that time, the manufacturer should already fix the new car bugs and the price is friendly to my pocket:D

pganmol

·
Registered
203 Posts
It's very attractive, stunning even, in an agressive way, but I'm sorry to see the Coupe lose the somewhat retro "classic" look of the former model, particularly inside. The sensuous if somewhat understated curves of the former model are lost in favor of a more modern approach, with sharper angles and creases. I doesn't look like a future classic in the way the former Coupe or former XK8 does (IMHO), but it is very exciting and sporty in a right-here-right-now kind of way. The grille is outstanding. The hood and front bumper cover recalls the MC12. The light treatment, though, looks Japanese and out of place, to my eyes at least, and overly technical. Anyway, just my two cents. Sensational find! I hope it helps bring Maserati to profitability. I think I will continue to worship what I have, however. This car looks harder to fall in love with than the former model. Ours looks more organic, a more wholistically integrated design, more feminine. This one looks like a collection of really cool styling cues with some Maserati thrown in. I think I'm most disappointed with the interior. It doesn't look like the interior of a sports car or grand tourer. It's lovely in the way the Quattroporte is lovely, but again, there's something classic in the former model's simplicity and elegance and more fitting for the interior of a grand tourer. OK, I'm done now!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Don't lose faith. The average stock picture of the present coupe looks underwhelming. I always remember being intrigued by the 2002 coupe when it was introduced, and basing that opinion mostly on the pictures that looked good, but never really blew me away. Then I saw my first Maserati coupe in person. Suffice to say, I never looked back. My best guess is that when we actually see the new coupe in person, we'll wet our pants.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
As I said on the other thread.... AUTOMATIC (option). It's a 2-door QP (those QP side vents look like a Buick Lucerne)!!!!! I'm not impressed. Maybe when I see it in person. Just the fact that you can buy a coupe with an auto is just WRONG.

I'm sorry.. What was the question????? :D :D :D :D

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
BeeYouZeeZee said:
As I said on the other thread.... AUTOMATIC (option). It's a 2-door QP (those QP side vents look like a Buick Lucerne)!!!!! I'm not impressed. Maybe when I see it in person. Just the fact that you can buy a coupe with an auto is just WRONG.

I'm sorry.. What was the question????? :D :D :D :D

THhats EXACTLY what I thought when I saw them...

A maserati should NOT be confused with a buick...

·
Registered
517 Posts
BeeYouZeeZee said:
It's a 2-door QP (those QP side vents look like a Buick Lucerne)!!!!!

Ok, the first thing we need to do is brush up on our Maserati History.
http://homepages.tesco.net/~enrico/image/home05.htm

The side vents are not from a Buick, but from the A6 1500 Coupe built from 1946 to 1950.

The way the fender lines curve over the wheel arch and taper into the nose is from the Fantuzzi bodied A6GCS/53 Series 2 cars and the 200S.

The concaved grill is from the Pinin Farina bodied A6GCS Coupe.

Come to the Maserati Owners National Meet June 22 - 25 and you see a wide variety of Historic Maseratis

http://www.italiancarsatpocono.com/0... Revised.pdf

Joe
Ghibli SS # 2110
Khamsin # 1226 (Car & Driver Test Car)
Mistral # 1216 ('67 NY Auto Show Car)
Bora # 1046 (Next to Last Production Car)
Lamborghini Islero # 6243
Lamborghini Jarama # 10102
Iso Rivolta Lele Marlboro # 184 (Geneva Show Car)
Ferrari Mondial Cab # 49713
Laforza # 159

·
Registered
203 Posts
Press Kit indicates automatic transmission

It's interesting that the press kit for the launch in Geneva indicates the car is equipped with an automatic transmission. No mention of CambioCorsa or DuoSelect is made. I guess they know their market, but the choice to launch with the more luxurious, less sporty iteration, may be somewhat telling as to what the future holds. Hopefully, there will be an enthusiast's model in the wings.

·
Registered
134 Posts
new coupe - clarification

Hi Guys,
Need a clarification..is this model a replacement for the regular coupe? or does it replace the Gransport as well. would this cost more/less than a Gransport?

-MG

·
Registered
635 Posts
I really like it. That slope to the front hood really reminds me of the MC-12.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Thanks for the A6 link, Joe. I thought the A6 had the portholes, but I couldn't google up any darn pictures.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Looks sweet but way less sexy. I spoke to Boardwalk here in Dallas about it last week when I was drooling over my next car (grey 430 hardtop:cool:) and I mentioned a 130K sticker price for the new coupe and they agreed.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Well, they got a lot right. IMO, it is much better looking than the current coupe. Edgier and more aggressive.
However...
- at 405hp it is underpowered, similar to the Aston Martin.
- no mention of a F1 style transmission
- no mention of a spyder
I really want my next car to be another Maserati, but it has to be a Spyder, with F1 tranmission, and ~>450hp preferred. The only marques that seem to fit that bill are the AM (but also underpowered), the Ferrari F430 (but priced in the stratosphere if you can't get one at MSRP), and the Lamborghini Gallardo (awesome machine, but attracts attention like a spaceship just landed, and has less than zero storage - you get to take either a passenger or a set of golf clubs...)
Mike

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have to say that, after 3 years of waiting, the coupe is a a disappointment. Both the inside and exterior seem to have a strange Lexus like stiffness to it. The portholes (which I like on the quattroporte) and the separated fog lights look like cheap tack ons. The seats, with the deep cut bolster at the shoulder blades will likely to be miserable for anyone above 5' 10". And no CC?? Nice grill though and the wheels can be sold to some Hummer owner on ebay but where is the sublime sensuality of the 2002/2003 coupe/spyder or the cohesive elegance of the quattroporte?

I think that Alfa got our Maserati with the 8C.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I don't think I like it. All looks a bit cheap japanese to me...and I've been looking forward to this for a while. Interior looks ordinary too. What am I going to replace my 2004 coupe with now?

...but the Italians don't get style wrong and here's hoping it looks better in reality than it does in these pics.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts