Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
0 to 100km/hr is 5.2 sec and top speed of 285km/hr

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Glenn Wallace said:
That steering wheel cover needs to go. :)
WOW! (underwhelmed)... 5 second numbers puts it in a class with 100 other cars. If that's what MNA wants... What's exotic about this car again??? The name? DON'T TRASH IT AGAIN! It took 20 years to get it back to America because of the last screw up!

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Buzz,

I agree... This sucks... Like I said, next one is a lambo... waiting till after my next launch... maserati just shot itself in the foot...

Im being SUPER cereal!

·
Premium Member
901 Posts
Buzz, I don't think they are screwing up, just broadening their product mix. I am sure a faster coupe is on its way just like the GS.

Personally I think the car looks awesome.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Car looks great but a half second retreat in 0-100 kph times after FIVE years of development?

Also why do Ferrari and Alfa get a 4.7 L displacement and 450 HP while Maserati stays with status quo.

Sadly, Maserati's lost the thread.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Hmm, maybe I have to see this in person, Im trying to be optimistic, but....:confused:

I was expecting more of ahhh, everything...

·
Registered
279 Posts

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
good updates.
the preliminary configurator is alright. black on red is good.
the short video clips are interesting. i guess the GT's design does have some mc12 and birdcage hints.

does anyone notice:
the Maserati Journey Programme....
could it be an european delivery program?...

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I agree the power performance is lacklustre ...but it certainly looks great!

Attachments

·
Registered
34 Posts
4136 pounds! Holy Crap! Is it made of lead?

I agree, 5+ seconds? Ummm, SUV's are quicker than that, by a long shot.

LOL a Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 is ~430hp 0-60 in 4.6 sec.

I just don't understand a slow car at >$100,000!

Like the Aston Martin Vantage at 380 hp. What are these people thinking?

At that weight, this car's base should be close to 500hp.

grrrrrrrr can't anyone make a nice/fast car?

Porsche is so overdone, but damn, you're in some rare air in this price group and you have to always compare back to the 997TT. I know, I know, exclusivity, style, yada yada yada. It's a Sports CAR! Meant to be Driven, it is not a suit.

Sorry for the rant.

·
Registered
114 Posts
looks great! the performance is a bit poor. the only thing i don't like are
the Ford Mondeo style taillights...

cheers iwan

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
the 7 spoke Y shape wheel imo looks better than the (birdcage) wheel.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Winding Road's Take (emphasis added)

Winding Road said:
As with all modern high-end sports cars from the Fiat Group, the GranTurismo’s interior is beautiful, expensive, and well built. It’s a shame to see that automatic gearbox, though, isn’t it?

We liked the car’s rear fenders the most, while the front end profile appears a little too much like a Honda S2000 for our tastes. Taken from the three-quarter view, however, we must say this is the most beautiful contemporary Maserati we’ve seen since the Merak or Khamsin. If this car is so beautiful, why haven’t they put in a larger engine (some have commented that the 4.2-liver V-8 isn’t enough)? Can Maserati ever be great as a Ferrari underling?

·
Registered
824 Posts
Still too much DB9 at the back and Z4 at the front.

Definitely don't like either tail or headlights.

Hey, just think when you see one of these babies on the road, you can blow them away with your old model! :)

·
Registered
517 Posts
BASTA! Enough.

You guys sound like a wife that has been married too long, complaining for the sake of complaining.

First it was about the styling, claiming it had port holes from a Buick till it was pointed out that these were from Pininfarina's 1st Maserati built in 1948.

Now it’s about the engine size, the transmission, the weight, etc. What's next that you don't like the valve stem caps?

The 1st thing you need to do is learn something about product cycling an automobile. A car must last anywhere between 5 to 10 years before its replacement.

When introduced a new car (and this goes for any manufacturer) will have a proven powertrain to ensure reliability. The fact that Maserati is only producing automatics at this time is a smart business move from the purchasing and production standpoint.

By building nothing but automatics in the GranTurismo and QP, they are able to buy a larger quantity from the supplier at probably a reduced price. This will also pay off in a streamlined production run.

After the initial run of automatics, probably by fall (Paris Auto Show perhaps).
You may see the intro of the CC trans & 4.7 engine (BTW Ferrari does not have a 4.7 V8 only Alfa and that isn't in prodcution yet). That should carry the car through at least the 3rd year of its production cycle. Then you will see another new variant of the car to carry it through a couple of more years. From there you will get a minor facelift, good for a couple of more years as plans take shape for the cars replacement in a few more years. And the whole cycle starts over again. Every manufacturer does it this way.

I've owned 11 Maseratis over 20+ years and have known many people in senior management of the company over the years. I can tell everyone flat out that the current management is the best that Maserati has ever had since it was incorporated in 1914. So relax and enjoy your Maserati, and be grateful that the Maserati name will live on for long time.

Joe
Ghibli SS # 2110
Khamsin # 1226 (Car & Driver Test car)
Mistral # 1216 (NY Auto Show car)
Bora # 1046 (Next to last production car)
Lamborghini Islero # 6243
Lamborghini Jarama # 10102
Iso Rivolta Lele Marlboro # 184 (Geneva Show car)
Ferrari Mondial Cab # 49713
Laforza # 159

·
Registered
246 Posts
Joe
I will admit that I am a newly converted Maserati devotee. I have been extremely happy with my 2003 Spyder. I never had a doubt when I bought it - nice styling, solid performance, cool F1 tranny - at a very competitive price point. Couldn't get a similar package on any other marque.
Their new model just doesn't resonate the same way, however. While your points are well taken, my evaluation is that Maserati has taken your lifecycle and gone way too conservative. Doing only a body upgrade on an existing powertrain is risky. Certainly the folks on this board, who are used to this drivetrain and performance on their existing cars are disappointed. The feedback on the new body style is mixed, but I, for one, like it. It is more aggressive than the current models.
So, back to performance. When the next generation comes out at 5+ seconds for 0-60, and the previous generation, at a lower price, had a sub 5 second performance, I think Maserati will have a problem. At least they will with many/most of their current customers.
Ferrari was able to upgrade both the powertrain (based on the same 4200 block), including a greatly improved F1 tranny, along with a completely new body style with the F430. Lamborghini did the same with the Gallardo. Why can't Maserati be a bit more aggressive? Even their sister company, Alpha, did the same with their new car.
So, as I replied to you in an earlier note, I personally think Maserati has taken a proven business model and erred on the too little/too late side. We won't know how successful their approach will be until they begin shipping and the market decides, but I for one, won't be buying another Maserati until they decide to come out with a Spyder model, with an F1 tranny and performance that is at least a little better than my current Maser. If they don't do that within a year to 18 months they will have lost one customer that they pulled back into the fold, and that is not good for them as an indicator.
Mike

italiancars said:
BASTA! Enough.

You guys sound like a wife that has been married too long, complaining for the sake of complaining.

First it was about the styling, claiming it had port holes from a Buick till it was pointed out that these were from Pininfarina's 1st Maserati built in 1948.

Now it’s about the engine size, the transmission, the weight, etc. What's next that you don't like the valve stem caps?

The 1st thing you need to do is learn something about product cycling an automobile. A car must last anywhere between 5 to 10 years before its replacement.

When introduced a new car (and this goes for any manufacturer) will have a proven powertrain to ensure reliability. The fact that Maserati is only producing automatics at this time is a smart business move from the purchasing and production standpoint.

By building nothing but automatics in the GranTurismo and QP, they are able to buy a larger quantity from the supplier at probably a reduced price. This will also pay off in a streamlined production run.

After the initial run of automatics, probably by fall (Paris Auto Show perhaps).
You may see the intro of the CC trans & 4.7 engine (BTW Ferrari does not have a 4.7 V8 only Alfa and that isn't in prodcution yet). That should carry the car through at least the 3rd year of its production cycle. Then you will see another new variant of the car to carry it through a couple of more years. From there you will get a minor facelift, good for a couple of more years as plans take shape for the cars replacement in a few more years. And the whole cycle starts over again. Every manufacturer does it this way.

I've owned 11 Maseratis over 20+ years and have known many people in senior management of the company over the years. I can tell everyone flat out that the current management is the best that Maserati has ever had since it was incorporated in 1914. So relax and enjoy your Maserati, and be grateful that the Maserati name will live on for long time.

Joe
Ghibli SS # 2110
Khamsin # 1226 (Car & Driver Test car)
Mistral # 1216 (NY Auto Show car)
Bora # 1046 (Next to last production car)
Lamborghini Islero # 6243
Lamborghini Jarama # 10102
Iso Rivolta Lele Marlboro # 184 (Geneva Show car)
Ferrari Mondial Cab # 49713
Laforza # 159

1 - 20 of 73 Posts