Maserati Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
These are 16" wheels, later Gt cars has 17"

ABS cars are closer mechanically to the GT than the early cars.
They have electronic ignition, upgraded hubs and brakes but still lack the significantly improved rear subframe and diff of the GT cars.

This appears to be a Japanese market car.
The headlights and door mirrors and vent hoods are the giveaway.
I prefer the look of the Euro spec cars.
can you tell me how much of an upgrade the subframe and diff are? The diff is from a 456 yes?

I’m not going to be racing it or anything on the track. It’s an automatic car. It’s just for enjoyment on some nice country roads in New Zealand.

At most I will put some bigger maybe BBS split rims and upgrade the ECU and put tubi style exhaust.

do you know if the lights can be painted to be like the GT?

·
Registered
19 Posts
The diff is from a 456, yes.
The diff is more robust and less noisy than the earlier versions.
However in my view it's the subframe which is the major improvement.
It's a significantly heftier affair which stiffens up the rear end making the car considerably more predictable on the road.

The lights of the Japanese cars are different to the Euro spec ones, so the comment regarding the paint does not apply.

·
Registered
13 Posts
It's a significantly heftier affair which stiffens up the rear end making the car considerably more predictable on the road.

The lights of the Japanese cars are different to the Euro spec ones, so the comment regarding the paint does not apply.

OK I will leave the lights alone, unless a pair of GT ones show up on eBay etc

Is it possible to retrofit strut bars to improve stiffness? Has anyone done this?

·
Registered
13 Posts
These are the euro spec GT headlights, notice they don't have the shrouds that Japanese cars do.
View attachment 135967
I see yes, well that is a matter of taste. The Shamal also has shrouds, although different. If the build quality of the MY94 is similar to the GT, just lacking the differential from the 456 and the rear sub-frame then it's not so bad a pick, although ofc a GT would be better. I'm not really gonna be pushing it hard, because it's an old car, so and an automatic so I think it will be fine.

This is the engine bay, looks pretty clean with new looking hoses etc

·
Registered
22 Posts
I guess it depends on price and if you are OK with the auto box. I originally bought mine because a GT was way out of my price range and only a few years old at the time. Having spent a fortune on it, a GT or Shamal would not see which way it goes now, which is fun and suits me and the track days I used to do, but not everyone.

You need to decide what you are after and if spending extra to get a later car, GT or whatever might be cheaper in the long run.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Also - get service records and make sure timing belts and oils have been changed on a regular basis.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Not much, but over the years I have gradually rebuilt and upgraded many things, including full custom designed adjustable Koni/King suspension, HD front sway bar and adjustable camber kit - replaces the troublesome electronic Koni standard system - set up is easy for road or track.

Wheels are 18 inch alloy with custom Maserati centres wearing Khumo track/street tyres - 245 front, 265 rear. The upgraded cooling system features a custom made alloy radiator, catch tank, remote oil cooler and filter with stainless braided lines.

Engine uses upgraded custom built Garrett ball-bearing turbo's, replacing the original crappy IHI factory turbo's. Also runs Bosch motorsport fuel pump, uprated fuel injectors, Turbosmart electronic boost controller and custom designed and built alloy intercoolers and pipes, blow off valves, air intakes etc. There is a large bore stainless exhaust system with hi-flow cats and recently added a HD clutch and uprated pressure plate.

Standard computers are fully re-mapped and set up for new turbo system. Car now produces 574Nm torque (same as V10 Lambo Gallado) . With the car weight about the same as a Golf , performance is respectable....

few pics here: USA via Australia

Reactions: Eriksen

·
Registered
13 Posts
Nice one man. That’s a biturbo though right? 222?

So yeah I’m thinking about this the main issue is the auto box. This is a car that deserves a manual.

Nice to know you can replace the turbos. What about swapping out the differential for the 456 one has that been done?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Good luck finding a diff. I blew a diff a while back. Happened when powering up on a wet track that had a dry section. When the track tires found grip it just hooked up and shattered the diff. Normal driving (not burnouts/drifting etc.) should be fine with standard power output. Mine won't brake traction off the line even if I try, so I don't hammer it until it's rolling. I toyed with the idea of fitting an IRS diff from a Falcon GT or Mustang a while back, but never went ahead. It's definitely a weakness with these cars if you don't know how to treat it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
They only made one 222 4V in 1994 - and this was the last of the model line out of only 130, with about 11 being RHD. Maserati lost most of the records in a fire or something, but typically, they used what ever bits they had lying around in the factory. So yes, it is pretty much a Ghibli in the older body style, which I prefer. Got the 5 speed getrag transmission and all the other goodies, as well as the windscreen spoiler like the Shamal. Quite a rare beast!

Reactions: DrGhibli

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi guys interesting discussion and reading!! The 222 4v. was produced from 1991-1992. Replaced by tHe Ghibli in 1993. I had a Japan delivered black/black 222 4v. That I imported from Germany in 2003. This is a car I really miss! Did 60.000 kms. in it in 3 summer seasons in Norway. Had lots of fun with it. There must be a misunderstanding that the later Ghiblis had a Ferrari 456 differential. The Ferrari 456/550/575/612 all have Graziano transaxle. So gearbox and differential in the same unit at the rear axle. I know because I have had both a 456 and now a 550 for the last 8 years. The Ghiblis had gradual improvements. Not all by their year model. The GT came in June 1995 as a 1996 model. It had bigger brakes than the 93/94/95 models. And some minor changes. Get a good condition Ghibli and you will be happy with it! I have had 5 Ghiblis and condition is everything. Especially the interior is important to be perfect. It ahould not be a re-upholstred interior!! The Ghiblis had a better ride on the 94 model when the tubular rear suspention was introduced. They fly at speed and are really stable. Much better than my later 3200 GT.
Good luck!
Here a picture of one 1998 Ghibli Primatist I sent to Japan!! We ran through France at night for an houre constantly not under 200 kph. That thing was a real joy! Now I have bought a 228i! Can’t get the need for s Biturbo out of my system. They are really cool cars!

Attachments

21 - 35 of 35 Posts