Maserati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So for the first time I decided to hit up the local street scene in the Maserati on 12th street. It was pretty nice and I had a good time, towards the end of the night this guy in an older 4 door Integra wanted to run me, this local guy also wanted to run me in his Cadillac CTS-V.

Anyways we get on the high way, I pull up next to the Integra. We slow down to 40 and 3 honks and we go. 2nd gear I stayed with him and he only pulled 1/2 a length on me. 3rd gear he just started walking me and we shut it off around the end of 3rd and he had probably 2-3 lengths on me.

After that the CTS-V pulls up next to me and 3 honks and we go. I think I pulled a little early but regardless from 40-90ish I pulled a couple lengths on him. I think he had 3 people in the car I only had 1 (2 seater).

Right after that this T/A pulls up next to me and we run. He was pretty quick but he only pulled a length on me until the top of 4th gear, regardless I had a great time even though my ass got kicked.

The guy in the T/A recorded the races I believe so I'm waiting for him to get the vid and then I'll post it. Just thought I'd share.

·
Registered
835 Posts
those jdm's (rice burners) are sometimes hard to tell what they have under the hood. for all you know they may have new stroker kits turning their 280hp into 400. even stocks one, like WRX...argh...i would stay away from them. i have haven't really bunched the car but once, smoked a S55.... :lol:

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a Toyota Supra so I know how potential these cars are.

Regards,
Kevin

·
Premium Member
726 Posts
Not sure where your shift points were, but don't be afraid to wind your Maser out a bit. It took a while to not be nervous of near-redline shifts, but it made a huge difference. Thank goodness for rolling starts, though, 'cuz the Maser's "unique" 1st gear launch quirks would leave you way behind outta the gate...

·
Registered
824 Posts
I also own a Subaru Impreza STi and it is starting to feel slower than the Maser. Certainly quicker off the mark but once you get to about 60 the Maser really takes off.

Besides which, the Maser is a car for curvy mountain roads, not drag racing.

·
Premium Member
901 Posts
Glenn Wallace said:
Besides which, the Maser is a car for curvy mountain roads, not drag racing.
Exactly. The Integra wouldn't stand a snowballs chance of keeping up on the track or a road with some nice curves.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm just glad I beat the CTS-V we have the same power and the weight isn't to different. I was really curious about that race the other two were just for fun. I can respect the Integra was faster and I give that guy big props for what he did with that car, not everyone can afford a Maserati and it's nice to see people work with what they have.

Here are is the video.

http://media.putfile.com/Movie_00015524

·
Premium Member
726 Posts
My friend's WRX STI (with many, many mods) will school me. He's guessing about 400+ HP *at the wheels* on a really light car with superglue tires and 4 wheels pullin'. The only real complain about the Maser I have is that inability to get a nice hookup off the line. If someone finds a technique that works, let us all know!

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm about to see how much power I can get out of my spyder hopefully by winter time. Exhaust manifolds, chip, intake, exhaust, and test pipes should put me up there!

·
Registered
188 Posts
NAPerformance said:
I'm just glad I beat the CTS-V we have the same power and the weight isn't to different.
Actually I traded a CTS-V with about 4,000 miles for a GranSport... the CTS-V was a hope at my previous Z06 with 4 doors.

Didn't quite work out, same engine but the Z06 is raw fun, the CTS-V lost more than the weight differential and handling, they must have changed the programming quite a bit on it.

Without a doubt the GS feels loads faster than the V (wich incidentally sucks from a stop because of a huge rear wheel hop problem).

But as already mentioned the M needs to be pushed and the fun is up there, very different than pushing a big LS-6 engine. Different ways of delivering the fun.

As far as the Integras, I've been at track days with them and with the right mods those things can be amazing in the turns, really impressive. I'm just suprised that they could actually put enough usable straight line power to take your Spyder!

·
Registered
390 Posts
Dude! Put your foot down all the way!! What were you starting in 5th, or waiting for a kickdown or something? You totally should have schooled all of those dudes.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Squid-How the hell is a 400hp 38xxlb car going to school a 400hp+ Integra that's much lighter and on top of that is turbocharged.

I beat the CTS-V and the T/A was just fast.

·
Premium Member
726 Posts
Even more humbling when the ricer "hits the bottle" (NO2, that is!). All you can do is watch 'em pull away (and incinerate their pistons).

Be patient, and wait until the first sweeping left hander at about 135 MPH and see who gets all loose and hits the guardrail first...I bet it won't be the Maser!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Nice to see the maserati racing some other cars all in good fun.

What kinda of trans am was that, must of been a moded WS6 for sure, cuz they only got 340hp in stock form and their fat pigs as well? and if im not mistake wasnt it an auto?

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
dave_fonz_164 said:

What kinda of trans am was that, must of been a moded WS6 for sure, cuz they only got 340hp in stock form and their fat pigs as well? and if im not mistake wasnt it an auto?
It was a WS6 that was modded. I'm not sure how much HP it has but it should be above 400whp. I think it was auto but I'll ask the guy and get some more information from him.

Again I'm not an import hater. I have a Toyota Supra myself and I've owned a few imports in the past from Twin Turbo Supra to Honda S2000. They're very capable and a Toyota Supra will easily take 800-900hp on a stock block and hit 1200hp past that , I know tens if not hundreds of people doing it reliably. And if you can't respect that then you're not a true car enthusiast. American, Japanese, Italian, German, whatever it is if it's a fun car I'll drive it. I prefer Italian but give respect where it's due!

Regards,
Kevin

·
Registered
96 Posts
NAPerformance said:
dave_fonz_164 said:

It was a WS6 that was modded. I'm not sure how much HP it has but it should be above 400whp. I think it was auto but I'll ask the guy and get some more information from him.

Again I'm not an import hater. I have a Toyota Supra myself and I've owned a few imports in the past from Twin Turbo Supra to Honda S2000. They're very capable and a Toyota Supra will easily take 800-900hp on a stock block and hit 1200hp past that , I know tens if not hundreds of people doing it reliably. And if you can't respect that then you're not a true car enthusiast. American, Japanese, Italian, German, whatever it is if it's a fun car I'll drive it. I prefer Italian but give respect where it's due!

Regards,
Kevin

Very true indeed, car enthusiasts come in all shapes and forms, regardless of car nationality and some of those Japanese monster will put to shame cars 10 times their worth......

Having said that and being on a Maserati forum, very few cars can pull off a class act like an italian car.

Would be interesting to see the potential of later generation biturbo's such as the ghibli or qp, i wonder how much they can handle with some more boost

·
Registered
17 Posts
Jap cars do have their advantages and disadvantages. They are really good start/stop cars from one traffic light to the next. But where it makes a difference is on the highway.

Living in Singapore, i have the luxury of driving up to the F1 Sepang track in KL. It takes about 2.5hrs to get there.

I have driven alongside various tuned-up integras, WRX, EVOs and other jap exotics. Got to tell you that most of the time, the fast ones can keep up with you for a short distance, but once you go on to 230-260km/h continuously for half an hour or so, they can no longer keep up. Some jap cars are very nice - but i am definitely happy with my italian breed.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
cablesurge said:
Jap cars do have their advantages and disadvantages. They are really good start/stop cars from one traffic light to the next. But where it makes a difference is on the highway.

Living in Singapore, i have the luxury of driving up to the F1 Sepang track in KL. It takes about 2.5hrs to get there.

I have driven alongside various tuned-up integras, WRX, EVOs and other jap exotics. Got to tell you that most of the time, the fast ones can keep up with you for a short distance, but once you go on to 230-260km/h continuously for half an hour or so, they can no longer keep up. Some jap cars are very nice - but i am definitely happy with my italian breed.
Here's the thing you provided 3 examples. Integras, WRX's, and Evo's all of which have no good top end. A Supra with about $800 in modifications will pull on a Gransport on the highway all the way up to 175-180 and trust me they can go. Supras are worse from a stop usually though unless they have the proper tires and the condition is right. You can't really generalize every car from one country. You have to look at each car individually.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
About this Discussion
21 Replies
11 Participants
MVP
Maserati Forum
We’re a forum to discuss the Maserati Coupé, Spyder, GranTurismo, Ghibli, Quattroporte and more!
Full Forum Listing