Maserati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Realizing hourly labor rates can vary significantly from shop to shop, whether it’s a dealer or an independent mechanic, and with much of that depending on location, I’m just curious what others here pay for their GTS service . My shop charges $ 220 / hr. but if they work only 15 or 30 minutes on something they’ll charge just that prorated amount, there is no such thing as minimum charge , and they won’t charge what “the book” suggests they should, which is what most dealers do .
So... what are you guys ( and gals ) seeing in terms of dealers if that’s where you take your car , and at top end IM shops ( needless to say the only kind of shop you’d trust with your Maserati... it’s not as if you take your GT to Pep Boys, or Sears for service :rolleyes::) ) in your area ?

·
Premium Member
2,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
No one...? :rolleyes:

( 137 views and everyone is a DIY-er ? :unsure: )

4,493 Posts
220.00 is expensive, but you live in a state that is dumpster fire so it what is...Just saying..J

4,493 Posts
There is a lot that goes into what a shop charges...Book time isn't my biggest concern in the least...A lot of repairs don't follow a "book" and I'm not taking a loss as a business person if the book says charge .5 of an hour and it took me one hour if it went smoothly.. Would you? We charge a fair amount for stuff and a lot goes into that formula....Do you have multiple cars we work on etc. or are you a military vet etc....J

·
Premium Member
2,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Totally understandable. And I had no intent / have no interest in asking how many hours anyone has been charged for a specific service ( those are the kind of things that could lead to rants by some ) just mere curiosity of what folks have experienced in terms of pure hourly rates ( if ) listed on their invoices, whether from a dealer or IM.
I’m sure there are probably material differences, just because of the variables that go into what any given shop charges, but I’d imagine dealers charges are much closer to each other even if one is located in a state or county or city with a reasonable cost of living, and the other in Beverly Hills or Silicon Valley , or Manhattan or Palm Beach, etc ..
Given the absurd cost of everything in this ridiculous area, to me $ 220 seems fair, and I’d be willing to bet luxury / exotic car dealers are significantly above that figure around these parts, but I could be wrong .. don’t really care, even if it’s a lot less ,my cars will never see a dealer service shop, unless it’s a recall and the work is free.

·
Registered
2012 GTC
74 Posts
$165/h in Edmonton at the Maserati dealer that's like $3.75/h in American dollars with current exchange, or close to it. :p

·
Registered
2013 GTC MC
467 Posts
I have a trusted mechanic that I take all my cars to for 2 decades and he charge what he needs to do a good job.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
There is a lot that goes into what a shop charges...Book time isn't my biggest concern in the least...A lot of repairs don't follow a "book" and I'm not taking a loss as a business person if the book says charge .5 of an hour and it took me one hour if it went smoothly.. Would you? We charge a fair amount for stuff and a lot goes into that formula....Do you have multiple cars we work on etc. or are you a military vet etc....J
Military Discount I didn't know that...makes sense though since you guys are right by the Base (y)
Count me in :p
USMC.png

·
Registered
1 Posts
Realizing hourly labor rates can vary significantly from shop to shop, whether it’s a dealer or an independent mechanic, and with much of that depending on location, I’m just curious what others here pay for their GTS service . My shop charges $ 220 / hr. but if they work only 15 or 30 minutes on something they’ll charge just that prorated amount, there is no such thing as minimum charge , and they won’t charge what “the book” suggests they should, which is what most dealers do .
So... what are you guys ( and gals ) seeing in terms of dealers if that’s where you take your car , and at top end IM shops ( needless to say the only kind of shop you’d trust with your Maserati... it’s not as if you take your GT to Pep Boys, or Sears for service :rolleyes::) ) in your area ?
CHF 209 or USD 230 but nothing is cheap in Switzerland...

·
Registered
236 Posts
$165/h in Edmonton at the Maserati dealer that's like $3.75/h in American dollars with current exchange, or close to it. :p
Ya they are pretty good here. Good to deal with too. They also don't go by the book for servicing. They only do what the car needs. They realize our driving season is short so the cars don't see the miles that many others do.

·
Registered
165 Posts
One of my lifelong friends is a Maserati mechanic and I pay him with pizza. When he’s between opportunities (he prefers to work at racetracks) there’s a local place and to be honest I’m not sure because I just trust them to do the job and charge a fair price. Can’t say that about a lot of places but these guys are awesome. The shop is the ugliest building on the street, packed full of Maserati and Ferrari’s lol. Second generation shop, and in a weird twist, the owner was a Ferrari mechanic in Hawaii in the 70’s, where my old man sold Ferraris to Tom Seleck. And yes, I yes in that show they wrecked real Ferraris all the time, and the reason they never filmed with the roofs in is there Tom can’t actually fit in a Ferrari with the roof on.

·
Premium Member
2,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
One of my lifelong friends is a Maserati mechanic and I pay him with pizza.
Same here, and those of us who have friends like that are really fortunate . One of my friends is an incredibly accomplished mechanic who has occasionally worked on my Porsches and Mercedes for decades, and did a couple of jobs on the Maserati as well. Absolutely refuses money ( has a successful general contracting business, so he works on his cars and his friends‘ cars here and there, when he has some spare time, for what he calls getting his “fix“ on his true passion, but will gladly accept a lunch or dinner accompanied by a car chat. Wish he was available more often, but I‘m very happy with my regular mechanic, although that costs me a bit more than a pizza ..;)

4,493 Posts
I must be an A-hole or something..I would never work on my friends cars...They would be texting me that the brakes are making noise etc. and I pretty much would want to just kill them...I just let them use all my tools and the lifts and let them do it themselves with my supervision....Then I get no complaints...lol...J

·
Registered
236 Posts
I must be an A-hole or something..I would never work on my friends cars...They would be texting me that the brakes are making noise etc. and I pretty much would want to just kill them...I just let them use all my tools and the lifts and let them do it themselves with my supervision....Then I get no complaints...lol...J
Wow that’s awesome, what a nice guy! Wish I had a friend like that....

1 - 20 of 22 Posts