Maserati Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Evira is claiming a 10 minute full recharge!!! 10 minute recharge and a 400 mile range at 80mph are my criteria. My vacation home is 373 miles away and I have done it non-stop for years.
No more germans for me.
I'm good with the gun thing as it is OUT OF CONTROL. We made the mistake of EVER letting a (AR) human killer be available to the public with out SPECIAL qualifications way too many years ago and it is destroying our country. BTW lifer Republican that knows its time to admit we screwed up here.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
It's a safe bet to say that whoever gets elected to the WH next year will have HUGE ramifications on the auto industry, let alone the American economy in general.

If a democrat gets to the WH, you can bet the extinction of the combustion engine will be turbocharged. In fact many parts of Europe are already doing that. Finland, for example, has just as many electric cars on its roads today as gas-driven cars. The biggest player of all, China, is massively transforming its auto industry to go full electric in the coming years.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Agreed, they need to address the needs of us long distance travelers. BBeing a Lotus guy "add lightness", my biggest issue with any hybrid powertrain I have experienced is their extra bulk. Sucks the joy out of the drive. I bought the GTS knowing it really was going to be the end of an era type vehicle.

·
Premium Member
1,413 Posts
I’ve driven a Tesla S P100D , and took off in ludicrous mode ! Sure, it has phenomenal acceleration ..but the car lacks any soul, any character ! It’s still a boring computer lounge on four wheels which sounds as if a sewing machine mated with a golf cart and gave birth to the Tesla . Ok, a very, very fast golf cart , lol. But I can’t stand driving that thing even for five minutes, much less for hours .. Performance is absolutely meanIngless ( to me ) without all of the visceral enjoyment which gasoline power cars give you. Maybe if I drove a Porsche 918 which is a hybrid ( and whose looks I love ) I might be able to tolerate that ..just maybe. But no point driving one , since I can’t afford to buy it .

·
Registered
102 Posts
When a next gen battery pack weighs no more than the IC lump under the hood, recharges in 10 minutes max, and drives like todays's finest...then I will call it progress. Currently, it is just new underdeveloped tech. Pretty embarrassing in Formula E when they have to trade cars mid race...at least make it a battery pack swap

·
Premium Member
1,413 Posts
On a related note, there is legislation on the table in almost every state to charge ( no pun intended ;) ) EV cars owners fees which are much higher than what gasoline cars owners pay on average for road use and infrastructure improvement taxes as part of the per gallon surcharges at the pump. Michigan proposed a flat $ 1,000 annual fee and after outrage ensued, they rolled it back to $ 250. Other states , from what I read , seek even higher fees . The fight is just beginning. In the long run I think the E car industry will win the fight , it’s really unavoidable progress, no matter how many of us will be dragged into it kicking and screaming. But never underestimate the massive power and leverage of the oil industry, this will be a very long and bloody fight .

·
Registered
366 Posts
there is a reason so many super and hyper cars are running hybrid powertrains. it works. who wants to scoff at instant torque?
the issue with electric cars is the battery capacity, which there hasn't been the necessary leaps and bounds of innovation due to the lack of main stream use of such vehicles. although a nissan leaf if very attainable, not many do; likely for the very reasons mentioned here about long range travelers. innovation is what musk is trying to do, on many more levels than just the car itself.
there is always renting a car for long trips, which i personally prefer due to the ease of dealing with any car troubles along the way.

guns, red meat, combustion, plastics, and pollution... your tinfoil hat is crooked. we're not in 1970 anymore. it is time to grow up at some point. when did it become cool to try to accelerate your own demise? your kids demise? your grand kids?

·
Registered
63 Posts
On a related note, there is legislation on the table in almost every state to charge ( no pun intended ;) ) EV cars owners fees which are much higher than what gasoline cars owners pay on average for road use and infrastructure improvement taxes as part of the per gallon surcharges at the pump. Michigan proposed a flat $ 1,000 annual fee and after outrage ensued, they rolled it back to $ 250. Other states , from what I read , seek even higher fees . The fight is just beginning. In the long run I think the E car industry will win the fight , it’s really unavoidable progress, no matter how many of us will be dragged into it kicking and screaming. But never underestimate the massive power and leverage of the oil industry, this will be a very long and bloody fight .
Illinois proposed something very similar. Governments don't like not being able to extract revenue from you at the gas pump.

·
Registered
102 Posts
there is a reason so many super and hyper cars are running hybrid powertrains. it works. who wants to scoff at instant torque?
the issue with electric cars is the battery capacity, which there hasn't been the necessary leaps and bounds of innovation due to the lack of main stream use of such vehicles. although a nissan leaf if very attainable, not many do; likely for the very reasons mentioned here about long range travelers. innovation is what musk is trying to do, on many more levels than just the car itself.
there is always renting a car for long trips, which i personally prefer due to the ease of dealing with any car troubles along the way.

guns, red meat, combustion, plastics, and pollution... your tinfoil hat is crooked. we're not in 1970 anymore. it is time to grow up at some point. when did it become cool to try to accelerate your own demise? your kids demise? your grand kids?
Says the guy with the thirsty Maserati.....

·
Registered
49 Posts
I have a Porsche Taycan (to use as my new daily) on order and can't wait 'til its arrival. It supposedly did the Nürburgring as fast as the 911 GT3 which is unbelievable. I think a lot of enthusiasts can't face the fact that electric cars offer better performance per dollar than any car with a combustion engine. I also think a lot haters who use the "appliance" argument have never even driven a performance electric car (Tesla Model S P100D for example). Now don't get me wrong, I love a loud exhaust just as much as next guy (which is why I had the Larini sport cats installed on my GT). However, you can't escape the future and once people get accustomed to driving the new wave of electric cars, they will slowly come around.

You combustion engine lovers better pray Trump gets re-elected in 2020, because if a democrat gets to the WH, say hello to the Green New Deal! (and good-bye to fossil fuels, guns, red meat, plastic straws, etc, etc). Lol.

I still wouldnt want trump re-elected... that loser needs to be in jail

Performance electric cars dont perform well if battery is not fully charged, plus how long a car takes to charge compared to stopping at a gas station? These things matter if u want to use an electric car as a daily commute..

21 - 31 of 31 Posts
About this Discussion
30 Replies
13 Participants
2015GTS
Maserati Forum
We’re a forum to discuss the Maserati Coupé, Spyder, GranTurismo, Ghibli, Quattroporte and more!
Full Forum Listing