Maserati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read online and heard from a dealer that the GT will no longer be produced. Curious what you all think about the implications on:

1. Future service & repair costs?
2. Future value of GTs?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I've read online and heard from a dealer that the GT will no longer be produced. Curious what you all think about the implications on:

1. Future service & repair costs?
2. Future value of GTs?

Thanks!
From what I've read the GT will be replaced by a "new GT" sometime in 2021. Whatever Maserati means by that is anyone's guess. In my opinion:

1. Future service and repair costs will not really be affected
2. Future value of GT's will remain the same...i.e. bad

Why? The GT was/is a mass-produced car numbering in the thousands. It is not some limited-production exotic like a Ferrari 458 Speciale or 599 GTO. Also, Maserati as a brand has become really tarnished over the years in the hands of Fiat/FCA as they tried to go more mass-market. As a result, they lost their mojo and their cars are practically worthless in the used car market. The reason why Ferrari's and Lambo's still continue to cost as much as a house (even used) is that they stuck to their guns and continued doing what they do best and made no compromises.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I respectfully disagree. FCA has made the Maserati relatively reliable products now. It is strange how certain marques just never get major collector status. Lotus is similar, shame they are among the best driver's cars in the world...even compared to Ferraris. This comes from folks that own both.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I respectfully disagree. FCA has made the Maserati relatively reliable products now. It is strange how certain marques just never get major collector status. Lotus is similar, shame they are among the best driver's cars in the world...even compared to Ferraris. This comes from folks that own both.
Reliable?! LOL! FCA has consistently been rated as producing some of the most Unreliable cars in the automotive industry! Jeep, Chrysler, Fiat, Alfa Romeo, and even Maserati has had a long history of having received terrible ratings by Consumer Reports and other professional publications. FCA cars have consistently ranked at the bottom or near the bottom when compared to its rivals in terms of quality, reliability, and resale value.

On a side note, Motor Trend had an Alfa Romeo Guilia Quadrafoglio as a long-term fleet car. Despite its excellent performance, reliability was so bad, they no longer recommended it! (Even though it was named Car of the Year in 2018! Lol)

You wonder why Maserati has never received collector status. Look at the Dodge switchgear in a Ghibli and that tells you everything. Consumers aren't idiots.

·
Premium Member
1,423 Posts
Reliable?! LOL! FCA has consistently been rated as producing some of the most Unreliable cars in the automotive industry! Jeep, Chrysler, Fiat, Alfa Romeo, and even Maserati has had a long history of having received terrible ratings by Consumer Reports and other professional publications.
There’s one exception in that list.. a big one ; the Jeep Grand Cherokee . Not only rated by just about every automobile publication at the very top of reliability and multi point driving features charts, but it’s been listed by Consumer Reports for two or three consecutive years , out of the last five , as THE best SUV ( above every other manufacturer’ SUVs, notably the German and , the typically reliable ‘ Japanese brands ) . And consumers usually vote on quality , but even more so reliability.

p.s. I can vouch for that, I bought one in 2014 and it’s been flawless.

·
Registered
18 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,423 Posts
Sticky buttons or other cheap plastic parts ( Ferrari has them also ) or similar imperfections like that can’t be the reason .. neither the Maserati GT nor the Aston Martin DB ( late ones - DB 7 on....) arguably the two best and most beautiful Grand Touring cars in automotive history have ever reached or will likely ever reach collector status . Not sure what the reason is, but they keep depreciating like crazy . I doubt even the last model built ( 2020 ) if that indeed is the end of the line will garner much demand years down the road. But Maserati is not alone , as ddsski pointed out, Lotus is one of the most extraordinary drivers car ever made , and it does not have the same or even close to the cult status the 911 Porsches do , so we can try to find blame with FCA, or Maserati giving up its heritage by introducing 4 door sedans and SUVs, , and bastardized cars with Chrysler blood in them, but not sure the answer is that obvious. Nor do I know what the answer is or care to speculate , because I don’t care,,I bought the car to enjoy it and I do so immensely so whether or not it fades into history and obscurity , or depreciates into oblivion, it won’t have any effect on my opinion of it .. which is still a solid 8 on a scale of 1-10 ..

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Question for you guys...

Will any of you buy a fully-electrified version of the GT if or when it shows up?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Electric cars are for people that treat cars like appliances. Get me from A to B and give me no problems and be as efficient as possible. Like the washing machine or refrigerator. Fine for a daily driven family crossover.

That doesn't line up with Maserati buyers.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Electric cars are for people that treat cars like appliances. Get me from A to B and give me no problems and be as efficient as possible. Like the washing machine or refrigerator. Fine for a daily driven family crossover.
That may be one segment.

But electric cars can offer tremendous performance, look at the acceleration of the top model Tesla S. Low center of gravity is also a plus.

At some point I think that there might be an electric car/s that I would be interested in, but if it doesn't show up soon I will likely never own one (about six years out of retirement).

·
Registered
22 Posts
If you complain about the switch buttons on the car you should just go ahead and delete your profile as you are obviously not understanding what kind of car you drive.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I have a Porsche Taycan (to use as my new daily) on order and can't wait 'til its arrival. It supposedly did the Nürburgring as fast as the 911 GT3 which is unbelievable. I think a lot of enthusiasts can't face the fact that electric cars offer better performance per dollar than any car with a combustion engine. I also think a lot haters who use the "appliance" argument have never even driven a performance electric car (Tesla Model S P100D for example). Now don't get me wrong, I love a loud exhaust just as much as next guy (which is why I had the Larini sport cats installed on my GT). However, you can't escape the future and once people get accustomed to driving the new wave of electric cars, they will slowly come around.

You combustion engine lovers better pray Trump gets re-elected in 2020, because if a democrat gets to the WH, say hello to the Green New Deal! (and good-bye to fossil fuels, guns, red meat, plastic straws, etc, etc). Lol.

·
Registered
110 Posts
When I can charge an electric in the same time as I can gas up....I'm in! Not until then. That is their Achilles heel. If Lotus can actually pull off the Evira, its going to be a HUGE game changer. I have yet to see a Tesla survive even half a day at an HPDE event. I will never by an 80K commuter car, which is all a Tesla is at present, because unless you want to add days to your trip down the east coast, they just don't cut it yet IMHO. There is more to life than 0-60 or 0-100.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
When I can charge an electric in the same time as I can gas up....I'm in! Not until then. That is their Achilles heel. If Lotus can actually pull off the Evira, its going to be a HUGE game changer. I have yet to see a Tesla survive even half a day at an HPDE event. I will never by an 80K commuter car, which is all a Tesla is at present, because unless you want to add days to your trip down the east coast, they just don't cut it yet IMHO. There is more to life than 0-60 or 0-100.
Porsche claims the new Taycan can charge up to 80% of it's total capacity in something like 15 minutes using its new charging system. So it's coming.

According to the democrats, the world is ending in about 10 years so if they get their hands on the WH, you can bet there will be a superfast charging station every 2 miles. Lol!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
About this Discussion
37 Replies
14 Participants
DSGT
Maserati Forum
We’re a forum to discuss the Maserati Coupé, Spyder, GranTurismo, Ghibli, Quattroporte and more!
Full Forum Listing