Maserati Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking of buying a 2004 Maserati Coupe, but I don't know much about them. I know that its Italian car and al the other basics but I'm trying to wrap my miind around how much for certain repairs. I will be driving it quite often but not everyday, esp in the winter. But I want to know what I'm looking at in repairs in maintenance. I hear an oil change is like $250. I also hear you have to replace the clutch often or something to that affect. Can anyone help me out with some info?

P.S. What is the life span of a maserati? Do they last long or should I be looking to get rid of it in two years?

·
Registered
439 Posts
Honestly........ if you do a search, you will find every answer to your questions. There is quite a bit you should know before going in to a Maserati.
And even more so on learning how to drive them properly to avoid costly damage.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Walls, it's kind of like going to the ball game. The cost of admission is only the start. The more you spend on beer and food, the better a time you will generally have. Oh, better tickets usually helps as well.

Do your research and find a good service provider. I use the dealer, and while a little more expensive, they are completely worth it. You may consider getting a manual tranny as well if you are concerned about maintenance.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Walls,

I bought the '04 CC Coupe you see in the pix here in Nov of last year. More pix of it are on my album. Really adore it but yes DO read up on the clutches. Mine had 28k mis on it when I bought it and was making some squealing noises out of low gears so the dealer agreed to replace the clutch so have yours checked b'c it's about $5grand for a new one. I've seen stories of clutches lasting from 5M mis to 50M mis and up....depending on how you drive it...the most popular consensus seem to be always in Sport, (assuming you have Skyhook) and always use your paddle shifters.

Read all over these posts, the info trail is 2nd to none where these cars are concerned. Then, get ready for the ride of your life, I'm coming out of BMr's and Porsches all my life and love this one much better than either of those brands. These Masi's are fabulous thrill rides and as you know, lookers beyond compare.

S-

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
Read all over these posts, the info trail is 2nd to none where these cars are concerned. Then, get ready for the ride of your life, I'm coming out of BMr's and Porsches all my life and love this one much better than either of those brands. These Masi's are fabulous thrill rides and as you know, lookers beyond compare.
+1
And a funny thing about the Maserati that may surprise you regarding the 'Lookers'. Wife & I donated a ride in the Spyder for a charity fund raising last year. Another person who owned a Lambo did the same for his Gallardo. Guess what? Everyone was bidding against each other for a ride in the "Red Maserati" and not a single bid for the Lambo owner. Poor guy. I actually felt embarrassed for him. :D (not really)

·
Registered
157 Posts
I bought my 2004 CC Coupe 7 months ago. Everyone told me I was crazy. I think of them often when I drive my car. And I smile because they have no idea what they are missing. I took a chance and am glad I did. However, you should make sure you have a good independent mechanic who wont charge you a fortune or if you can, do the work yourself and the costs shouldn't get out of control. This site can give you the info you need to help keep her running. Good luck.

·
Registered
624 Posts
GREAT STORY!! I'm sure well all feel for the Lambo guy...lol. Great idea for a charity event too, your car is gorgeous man. Thx for sharing.

+1
And a funny thing about the Maserati that may surprise you regarding the 'Lookers'. Wife & I donated a ride in the Spyder for a charity fund raising last year. Another person who owned a Lambo did the same for his Gallardo. Guess what? Everyone was bidding against each other for a ride in the "Red Maserati" and not a single bid for the Lambo owner. Poor guy. I actually felt embarrassed for him. :D (not really)

·
Premium Member
726 Posts
+1
That's a great idea! I have a charity auction/fundraiser coming up for the lacrosse league I'm involved in, and selling a ride (or maybe a drive?) in my Coupe might fetch a few hundred from some gearhead... ;-)

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
I'm sure if you sell it as a drive & 'photo shoot' with your car you'll have plenty of takers. Also, be sure to have some cool pics of the car (or, even stock Maserati photos) laying around the bidding table. I marketed mine as a 'Great Father's Day' gift.

·
Registered
10 Posts
My experience

I had an 05 CC Coupe for about 1 year, and while I loved the look of the car, its performance, the attention, etc., I felt like I was never able to truly enjoy the car as it felt like a ticking time bomb. The car was had about 11k miles on it when I sold it, and the lack of independent Mas shops in the ATL area meant the dealer was your only choice. As the car was my daily, expenses just kept adding up. The quirkiness of the Italian made automobile means living with things not being right, then taking it to the dealer, expecting a 1-2 week turn around, and ALWAYS a bill, no matter whether the car is under warranty or not.

I once got charged because 'adjustments' weren't covered under warranty. Did you guys know that when both your driver and passenger seats wont fold forward any longer, its an 'adjustment' to fix the cables that allow you to regain access to your back seat? And since they had to remove the seats, strip the leather covers, etc., hello $600.00 charge to use something that should have worked. I have tons of stories like this. $500.00 for an oil change and break flush.

When I sold the car I had about 10K in expenses sitting in front of me between $2000.00 in plate registration taxes (08, and then 09 at the end of the year), $1500.00 for a new set of tires and balancing, $4500.00 for a clutch, $1800.00 for 18k maintenance, not to mention the actual car payments itself. And this car is under warranty!

The ticking timebomb comment from earlier is because I never new what was next. From switches popping off the dash, to random CEL lights, to failing throwout bearings, leaking comressors, you name it. The car was in the shop for major problems for 2 out of the 11 months I owned it. When i drove down the road the number of squeeks and rattles made it sound like I was driving a POS. It irritated the hell out of me.

However, when I pulled it up in the garage, looking at it still put a smile on my face. All that said though, I took a bath to sell it, "downgraded" to a Porsche, and never looked back. The Porsche has been worry free, solid, and I don't stress out any longer everytime I turn the key.

Long story short - They're not for everyone, and not everyone has this type of experience. But costly they are, and you need to be 100% sure you can stomach the type of costs I listed above, because they're not rare. Best of luck, and if you do get one, I assure you a big grin when you're at 7K RPMs and that engine is roaring in the cabin.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Jaycityatl - did you own the car from new? Sorry to hear about the problems you've had.

When I bought mine, all I cared about was I wanted one, even if its trade-in value the next day was £0.00 and it cost £10k a year just to keep it on the road. Listening to your story, I've been lucky. Don't mean to gloat! :) but I'm doing 14k miles a year and petrol and insurance have so far been my biggest costs. Tyres and servicing have been a relative bargain.

Could never run a Porker though. While it may be worry and stress free, I also suspect it would be considerably grin-free as well. If I couldn't have another Maser, it'd have to be an old classic which would break down every other day - maybe us Maserati owners just like to be kept on our toes!

·
Registered
211 Posts
my only advise to any maser owner is to add $300 a month to the payment of your car. If you can do that after, payment, gas, and insurance, then you buy the car and ejoy the [email protected] out of it!

·
Registered
744 Posts
I had an 05 CC Coupe for about 1 year, and while I loved the look of the car, its performance, the attention, etc., I felt like I was never able to truly enjoy the car as it felt like a ticking time bomb. The car was had about 11k miles on it when I sold it, and the lack of independent Mas shops in the ATL area meant the dealer was your only choice. As the car was my daily, expenses just kept adding up. The quirkiness of the Italian made automobile means living with things not being right, then taking it to the dealer, expecting a 1-2 week turn around, and ALWAYS a bill, no matter whether the car is under warranty or not.

I once got charged because 'adjustments' weren't covered under warranty. Did you guys know that when both your driver and passenger seats wont fold forward any longer, its an 'adjustment' to fix the cables that allow you to regain access to your back seat? And since they had to remove the seats, strip the leather covers, etc., hello $600.00 charge to use something that should have worked. I have tons of stories like this. $500.00 for an oil change and break flush.

When I sold the car I had about 10K in expenses sitting in front of me between $2000.00 in plate registration taxes (08, and then 09 at the end of the year), $1500.00 for a new set of tires and balancing, $4500.00 for a clutch, $1800.00 for 18k maintenance, not to mention the actual car payments itself. And this car is under warranty!

The ticking timebomb comment from earlier is because I never new what was next. From switches popping off the dash, to random CEL lights, to failing throwout bearings, leaking comressors, you name it. The car was in the shop for major problems for 2 out of the 11 months I owned it. When i drove down the road the number of squeeks and rattles made it sound like I was driving a POS. It irritated the hell out of me.

However, when I pulled it up in the garage, looking at it still put a smile on my face. All that said though, I took a bath to sell it, "downgraded" to a Porsche, and never looked back. The Porsche has been worry free, solid, and I don't stress out any longer everytime I turn the key.

Long story short - They're not for everyone, and not everyone has this type of experience. But costly they are, and you need to be 100% sure you can stomach the type of costs I listed above, because they're not rare. Best of luck, and if you do get one, I assure you a big grin when you're at 7K RPMs and that engine is roaring in the cabin.
My story is similar. $10K of bills for every 5K of driving. I love the car but I agree that a nice reliable 911 Turbo is pretty attractive sometimes.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Drove my first QP yesterday

I have been following these threads for awhile now, and getting really stoked on the QP and the "thrill" that Mas has to offer. The car was a 2007, and had less than 20k miles on it. When I drove it, I had no idea what to expect, but I was excited. So many here have spoken of the thrill, the performance and of course the looks. Honestly, I felt like the car was going to fall apart during the test drive. Can't imagine driving one on a daily basis. It was fun don't get me wrong, but a daily driver it is not. I have a 33 Ford hot rod as well if I want performance, looks, and prestige. Sadly, I was not impressed.

I drove a 2007 MB s550 with the Lorinsor package immediately following, wanting to see what the differences would be. Obviously, night and day. One is an exotic sports car, and one is a mass produced luxury car with the bells and whistles.

In the end, you go with your gut and drive what will please you on a daily basis. If the QP was to sit in my garage most of the time like my hot rod, I would have purchased it on the spot. My take was the 550 all the way for everyday driving with performance, luxury, and prestige. To each his own.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Being an ignorant owner and taking your car to the dealer every time something feels "funny" will lead to outrageous repair bills. I daily drove two Maseratis for a combination of nearly 100,000 miles. No issues, sure they were quirky at times but a weekend of fiddling with them usually fixed it. Don't blow the reliability out of proportion, there ARE lemons out there from MBenz, BMW, Maserati, Ferrari, and any other mfg, I'm not doubting some of you just have bad cars, but please don't blow things out of proportion.

Italian cars are something else, they'll never be perfect, and that is essentially what makes them perfect. They are real and provide a feeling no other car will, it's not for everyone but they're definitely not for overly uptight people.

Walls - Budget in a clutch every 30k miles, regular service, oil changes every 6k miles, tires every 20k, and a spare $1.5k in reserve annually "just in case" and you'll be more than fine.

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
Walls - Budget in a clutch every 30k miles, regular service, oil changes every 6k miles, tires every 20k, and a spare $1.5k in reserve annually "just in case" and you'll be more than fine.
I agree with MVP. I'm coming up on my 16th month of ownership and other than a $4K clutch replacement which we all know to plan for at certain mileage based on our driving habits, the only expenses I have had have been the mods I've made (can't count these) and a couple of fluid changes and a brake pad upgrade which I did myself with the help of DIY-ers on the forum here. Not bad I think.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Being an ignorant owner and taking your car to the dealer every time something feels "funny" will lead to outrageous repair bills. I daily drove two Maseratis for a combination of nearly 100,000 miles. No issues, sure they were quirky at times but a weekend of fiddling with them usually fixed it. Don't blow the reliability out of proportion, there ARE lemons out there from MBenz, BMW, Maserati, Ferrari, and any other mfg, I'm not doubting some of you just have bad cars, but please don't blow things out of proportion.

Italian cars are something else, they'll never be perfect, and that is essentially what makes them perfect. They are real and provide a feeling no other car will, it's not for everyone but they're definitely not for overly uptight people.

Actually if you look at consumer reports Mercedes has all black circles in every category, the worst car built in terms of reliability. Maserati placed well above it... Those little quirks you speak of are what endears one person to another and a person to a car for a life time...

·
Registered
744 Posts
Those little quirks you speak of are what endears one person to another and a person to a car for a life time...
My "little quirk" is my car has been undriveable and in the shop with ECU problems since October! It took two months to get Maserati NA to attempt to diagnose the problem and when they finally got to it they realized that it could not be accessed due to a security lock out. It now is trending towards a new ECU at a cost of $3000. This comes on the heels of a clutch at $4000.

While I agree that all cars break, the big issue with a Maserati is that if (or rather when) something major goes wrong, the time and cost to fix it can be enormous. These aren't your average Chevy.

·
Registered
681 Posts
My "little quirk" is my car has been undriveable and in the shop with ECU problems since October! It took two months to get Maserati NA to attempt to diagnose the problem and when they finally got to it they realized that it could not be accessed due to a security lock out. It now is trending towards a new ECU at a cost of $3000. This comes on the heels of a clutch at $4000.

While I agree that all cars break, the big issue with a Maserati is that if (or rather when) something major goes wrong, the time and cost to fix it can be enormous. These aren't your average Chevy.
Did this problem just randomly occur? Reason I ask is the lock out is really common whenever you are sending your ECU in for an upgrade and attempt to shut the door with the ECU not in the vehicle. This was a common issue back when I used to do the Eurotek upgrades, people would not listen and close their passenger doors and have to buy a new ECU from Maser NA

·
Registered
744 Posts
Did this problem just randomly occur? Reason I ask is the lock out is really common whenever you are sending your ECU in for an upgrade and attempt to shut the door with the ECU not in the vehicle. This was a common issue back when I used to do the Eurotek upgrades, people would not listen and close their passenger doors and have to buy a new ECU from Maser NA
MVP - It is a long story but started when I kept getting CEL indicators and misfiring after the car was driven very fast (e.g above 150MPH). This occurred after the slow down indicators (cat overheat warning) had come on and then went off.

After extensive discussions with Jeff at FD, I elected to get rid of the problem (I thought permanently) by installing new HPS main cats and de-packing the pre-cats. The O2 sensors were relocated fore and aft of the new main cats and that is when the problems really started.

The CEL kept going off (even though the car drove fine) and indicated faulty O2 sensors. These were changed, the wires changed and the sensors and wires were swapped out one side at a time tracing the problem to the ECU. The ECU was sent away to MNA who sent it back (after two months) with no work done. They said the ECU was tied to the security system in the steering column and they could not access it. They gave my tech some suggestions which he tried and he now tells me the problems are worse.

The only saving grace is that it is the middle of winter here but if he can't sort it out soon. I am going to be forvced to buy a new ECU.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts