Maserati Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!I'm writing from Greece and i'm going to buy a 4200 coupe cambiocorsa.I have though the following questions.I'd be glad if you could help me.
1.Skyhook or normal suspension?Is there one of them lower?Is suspension the same from 2002 until 2008?I drive only on highways.
2.After the facelift of 2005, cambiocorsa got faster shifts ups-downs.Will a normal driver recognise this difference when driving?On pre-2005 models can the gearbox be modified to the facelift setup?
3.Is it true that cambiocorsa had problems until 2005?
4.My most important question.Do you have any idea where can i find the cif prices for the car?(cif = the factory value of the car).

Many thanks in advance,
Nikos

·
Registered
306 Posts
Hello!I'm writing from Greece and i'm going to buy a 4200 coupe cambiocorsa.I have though the following questions.I'd be glad if you could help me.
1.Skyhook or normal suspension?Is there one of them lower?Is suspension the same from 2002 until 2008?I drive only on highways.
2.After the facelift of 2005, cambiocorsa got faster shifts ups-downs.Will a normal driver recognise this difference when driving?On pre-2005 models can the gearbox be modified to the facelift setup?
3.Is it true that cambiocorsa had problems until 2005?
4.My most important question.Do you have any idea where can i find the cif prices for the car?(cif = the factory value of the car).

Many thanks in advance,
Nikos
1. Sky hook. I'm not aware of much evolution in the skyhook system over the years.
2. As far as Coupes go, the CC gear shift was actually slowed down from the original 2002 version in order to provide a smoother gear change when cruising around towns and lanes rather than blasting it. The slower change is not so good for clutch wear. Now, if you're thinking the CC system when the GranSport came out then yes, the gear shift was much improved again (speeded up again, can't comment on the smoothness though...presumably it is faster AND just as smooth as the 2004-05 coupe paddle shift). Formula Dynamics Drive-By-Wire upgrade is aimed at addressing the issue for 04-05 coupes in particular (but can be used to improve any coupe and GranSport I believe) - get in touch with Jeff at Formula Dynamics, he's also a forum member.
3. Yes, but as mentioned in point 2. above, the coupe CC was slowed down and smoothed out over the years (02-05). The 02 version was faster but pretty brutal for slower speed driving/shifting.
4. No, afraid not sure about a "factory value", isn't the most relevant figure the Market Value, as in the value/price is dictated by the current state of the market and/or the economy?

·
Registered
306 Posts
Thank you for your reply!Will the maserati dealer take response of the CC upgrade?
Not completely sure I understand the question - but regarding the CC of any coupe that you look at I would do the following:

1) ask the current owner/dealer which CC software is presently installed [Maserati offered several "upgrades" (some might not call them upgrades as the system was slowed down, so let's just say "changes"!) between 02 and 05, so make sure you know what's installed].

2) drive it as is and see if you like the present CC system - make sure you check it in Sport Mode.

3a) if you don't like it, and it's still got older software installed, contact Maserati to see if the official "changes" are still available.

3b) also make sure you contact Jeff at Formula Dynamics in Las Vegas and discuss the CC systems in general and specifically his Drive-By-Wire upgrade system (DBW). This is unlikely to be recognised/supported by official Maserati dealers but can always be removed again or bypassed if the car's going in for a service and Jeff can fill you in better with the details (telephone Jeff at: 00 1 for USA....702 430 1040, check Formula Dynamics out on the website or contact him through this forum). Remember the DBW system is considered an improvement on ANY of the official Maserati CC versions.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hello Nikos,

Wow another Greek, we are trying to take control of the forum lol

1. Skyhook suspension, to the best of my knowledge, will make the suspension set up much stiffer once the sport button is pressed. I have a skyhook car so i cant comment on the difference between non skyhook and skyhook. You will feel the difference though when the sport button is pressed. Also the gear changes will be faster.
3. CC had mainly two issues, one regarding the clutch life and one regarding the F1 pump. There are two very informative threads on how to repair the pump though. As a precautional measure many tend to replace the F1 relay annualy. In highway motoring i would expect the clutch to last around 40-50km. Again there are numerous threads on how to improve clutch life, DBW is one of them.

As a note Maserati Greece are very helpfull and i found that the parts are 30% cheaper than in the UAE.

Regards,
Marios

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks again guys, Marios where do you live?
About skyhook:As said i drive on highways.My car is a hardly tuned saab, with bilsteins, HRs and poly bushes.So, what do you suggest?Will i cope with the standard suspension or not?I understand, saab is not a maserati and vice versa.Does the skyhook only take effect in the sport mode?
About cc:I have read, that the latest cc upgrades made the geabox much more reliable.Less shaprer, but faster changes.Is this true?For me a question of beeing reliable is very important, and i can sacrifice some cc enjoyment in order to have something reliable.Well, some enjoyment, but not all...DBW makes the cc reliable or more funny?Or both?
Marios, do you have any idea about the taxes i have to pay here?
Take care,
Nikos

·
5,887 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hello.I have found one 2002 4200 f1 with 75000 kms.The car has been driven in higways-no traffic-, replaced clutch one year ago and clutch pump 3 months ago.Should i procced?Price is good, but kms are high..Oil changes every 5000 kms.My question is regarding reliability of engine and transmission.
And, your opinion:It is red with leather beige.How do you find this combination?It's very beautiful, but it looks like a ferrari, which means everybody will keep an eye on it, and this is a think i don't really like.
Please answer!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Spyder CC

Hello,

I have the same color combination, it is awessome. Yes, you are right, you will get a LOT of attention.
Those cars are build quite good. If it was mantained well, it should last for many more miles.
Enjoy and good luck.

Michael
Spyder 2004, CC

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hello Nikos once again!

Color combination sounds good but again you will be the one driving it.

Km are a bit on the high side but if it has been driven on the highway it should not be a problem. You can check this by the number of clutches the guy has changed. For highway driving i would expect 1, for city driving, especially Athens traffic!!!, i would expect 2 going for the 3rd soon... And lets be frank with only attiki odos working as a highway i doubt they are all highway km...

My Spyder has similar milleage and has already gone through two changes.

The fact that it has already had a pump replacement is an added bonus!

If i were in your shoes i would try to import one. Prices in Greece are 45K + which is double what it costs everywhere else. Dont forget that import taxes in Greece have been reduced to 50% for the next 3 months!!

Good luck with your search, the best part of buying!!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Hello guys , and especially Marios.The guy who had it is from Peloponese and he was very often in Athens => that's the highway kms.Only one clutch change in these, but i can prove how much percent of the current clutch is a
vailable..I have thought of importing, but this car is at a good price, AND i will have factory guarantee for one year.This is a big bonus, i think.If i import i get a car with no history, now i know the guy simply..He also provides me chances to pay him as i wish.Imported cars will need to be payed before.
What i'm still thinking is the colour cobination though...In pictures it is bad for me, but live it is nice.But as said, everyone will pay attention, and i don't want to be the centre.Azzuro argentina for example is not so glamourous, but wonderful colour, too..
I'll take some time to think and decide.
Any more suggestions please are welcome!

Also, thanks acedubs for your offer, but i need a cc!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts