Maserati Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have put a deposit on the upcoming 2008(?) Maserati Coupe.

While I was at the dealer, he was sure to point out that the new Maserati will be much more of an independent Maserati than those produced under Ferrari's control. It appears that, aside from the block, most parts will be non-Ferrari sourced. The CC transmission is rumored to be a ZF sequesntial not the Ferrari F1 system. This list basically goes on.

So this got me thinking about the Maseratis produced under Ferrari control. From an automotive history perspective, I think there are a lot of parallels to the Dino's of the early 70's. Remember Dino was a full fledged brand. On the 246 and 308GT/4 there were no original Ferrari emblems. While many of these cars have been rebaged over the years as Ferrari's they were Dino's sold by Ferrari dealers. There were also the Fiat Dino's sold by Fiat (Coupe and Spyder). Yes, I know these were based on 6 cylinder engines, not existing Ferrari blocks. With rumors of greater seperation of brands I think the comparisions are even more accurate.

Am I the only one who sees some parallels here? The more I think about it the more I see. Unless the new Maser blows my socks off I will probably convert my deposit into a 550/575 and keep my CC.

Thoughts?

-dsd

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
maserati is maserati.
dino is dino.
the heritage of the brands and intentions of these brands are totally different.

there are rumors that ferrari is developing their modern dinos. as a matter of fact the original replacement of the maserati coupe was rumored to be transferred back to ferrari a couple of years ago to become the ferrari dino.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
me think there are more parallelism in scion to dino than maserati to dino....

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I recognize each brand is its own. However, in historical context, many do not recognize that a Dino was a brand and not a model. I wonder how in the long run the 4200's will be viewed.

-dsd

·
Registered
530 Posts
Just a point of clarification, the 246 Dino and Fiat Dino Coupe and Spyders shared the same 6 cyl engine. The 308GT4 is a six as well...

Ferrari's son Dino had developed it for F-2 (with either Lampredi or Columbo - memory fails) but needed 500 examples for homologation. Hence the deal with Fiat resulting in the Fiat Dinos (apocryphically also the origin of the Dino brand - Ferrari always said that a "real" Ferrari had a V-12).

·
Registered
35 Posts
Dino/ Maserati Parallel

I have to agree with M!. Maserati has it's own history and heritage, not only as a brand, but as a full fledged racing scuderia and then as a production car manufacturer.

I can see how being brought under the wing of Ferrari and sourcing Ferrari parts could lead to the comparison, but the legacy of Maserati is much more distinct than that of the Dino, a fledgling offshoot of Ferrari. Also recall that by the time the 308 GT/4 reached the mid-point of it's production cycle, it had Ferrari badges and wheel caps from the factory in order to sell the car.

Maserati has had a very "close encounter" with Ferrari for the past decade, but it will not receive Ferrari badging, nor will it ever be called a Ferrari. Not even the dealers trying to sell more Maserati will go as far as putting a prancing horse on Maserati, and I believe history will always view Maserati as a distinct brand....even if it receives the "Ferrari-era Maserati" moniker, a la "De Tomaso Maserati" and "Citroen Maserati", etc. etc....

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
crotty, that is exactly what i meant to say. :)

Fiat can time themselves to market a modern Dino to compete downmarket into Porsche 911 territory, since everyone is stepping onto each other's toes nowadays (997 Turbo, Vanquish, DB9, V8 Vantage, assortments of M's and AMG's, Bentleys, Z06's, R8... )

Maserati is still enjoying a niche clientele.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Steeldream said:
Just a point of clarification, the 246 Dino and Fiat Dino Coupe and Spyders shared the same 6 cyl engine. The 308GT4 is a six as well...
QUOTE]
Beg to differ. The 308 GT4 is a 3.0L 4 cam V-8. (not a 6 cyl).
All V-8 4 cam Ferrari motors have a lineage to the 308GT4.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Forgetting the technical synergies, they must appeal to the same taste as I have both a Dino and a Maser in my little collection, and I dont believe I am the only one.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I did not mean to imply the Maserati was not a Maserati with it own lineage. I guess in my own clumsy way I was getting at the idea of the "Ferrari-era Maserati" tag. I wonder if this era will be of more interest in the future?

However, I still think there is something here ;-)

-dsd

·
Registered
530 Posts
Winding Road has a report on the "Dino" mule. It's mostly a 430 body so not much info there, but what's interesting is the speculation they're planning on building 4000 units at the Maserati factory.

I know the original targets were for Maserati to sell 10,000 units anuual, and that the last coupl.e of years they shifted a little more than 5,000. Seems there'd be capacity to keep Maserati production at the same level and build 4,000 additional Dinos - or maybe not? thoughts?

Eurodino you're right - need to take brain in for warranty work.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts