Maserati Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,
Tomorrow I'll be taking a look at a Maserati 430 from 1989.
The car seems to be in pretty good condition...a few dents here and there but looks pretty straight on pictures.

Second owner since 2017. First owner changed engine in 2000 and now it has 33.000 kms on the clock...seems they reset the odometer also since now it shows 33k. The current owner says he has a lot of bills and papers with the service history of the car.The car is an original spanish registered car and has valid MOT (due in Feb 2021) and insurance in order. If I buy the car the owner says he will pass the MOT just for my assurance.

Here are some pictures of the car:

Any thing particular to look after for this model? I mean apart from the normal...test drive, look for any oil or exhaust leaks, power window, power roof, ac, etc...

I can buy the car for a really good price.... I believe...just 6k eur.馃槢
First thing to do would be changing the cam belt just as a precaution....I hope to do it myself since I like to DIY.
I'm buying the car just to have it as a weekend car and to fix it up to a nicer condition...

What do you think. Am I doing a good buy ?馃槆
Thanks for your help.

Registered
Discussion Starter #2
Hi,
Just returned from testing the car...

• There are small body dents all over place but no rust....needs complete respray if to be in mint condition
  • One of the rear exhaust muffler needs to be replaced since smoke is coming out from cracks
  • The engine fan is turning on and off perodidically at idle...it is idling a bit rough...
  • AC compressor kicks in if put in Auto but not sure if it chills
  • Engine temperature is always less than 90 degrees...probably thermostat is stuck in semi open position
  • Exhast fumes are white and smells badly even when engine is warm....probable engine oil burn? Turbo or piston leak ?
  • Power sun roof works, however only 2 out of 4 power windows work but very sloooooowly....
  • Central locking does not work for one of the doors
  • Radio and power antenna not tested since no radio code available....and radio wood lid does not open
  • Front power seats work but moves very slowly
  • Leather seats have no tear but look very worn and dirty, as do the car mats
  • Car needs new tires since the steering vibrates when drived...alignment needed most probably too
  • Engine has power but not impressive
  • Power steering felt heavy but did its job

What should I do...lower the price to 4.500 EUR...or just walk away.?
My heart is saying "buy" but my head is saying "walk away"馃榾馃榾馃榾

Cheers.
-

Registered
If you can work on cars and have the patience to research info & parts, and the price is right... go for it. The hard part is with the marelli-weber fuel injection, (also used on the Ferrari F40) there is no easy way to pull codes (that I know of) which can make diagnosing issues difficult. The fusebox is also a common problem too.

Premium Member
Here鈥檚 my opinion: Add up the cost of getting it in the condition you want including something for your own expected effort. Keep in mind that there are things about the car that you do not know or expect.

Ask yourself, Would I pay that much today for a car in the condition I want? But then purchases like this are seldom just business decisions.

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys for your tips....I made an offer for 4.000 EUR for the car.....initially the asking price was 8.000 but the seller agreed to lower to 6.000....I guess he could accept 5,5 but not 4.000. But I need to go low since the repair costs to get the car in a good condition is estimated by me to be between 6 to 9000 EUR.

So big gamble even if I get the car for 4.000馃槉

My biggest concern is obviously the engine...in theory it only has 33.000 kms so sould not be having a smoking exhaust due to oil burning...or is this common to these engines? I guess not...

One thing I noticed though was that the engine noise standing in front of the car while idling, was more smooth compared to a 224 (2.0) I went to see a couple of years ago that had a not so nice ticking sound. The sound of the 2.8 was more normal....

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
Hi again, the Maserati 430 owner is tempting me to sell his car for 4500 eur 馃槆 .
I still think I can get it for 4000 if I would counter offer.....However, my biggest concern is the exhaust fumes....I've read that it could be due to worn piston rings, turbo seal leak, or valves not closing tight.

Have you encountered this problem before in your biturbos ? Any common problem and repair ?

Cheers.

Registered
Cars that aren't driven much can have a lot of moisture / water vapor in the exhaust system that should go away after the engine and the exhaust system is fully warmed up. Just idling won't necessarily fully warm up the exhaust specially if its very cold out.

If it still has white-ish smoke after its at full temp and and good drive then I would probably walk away.

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
This is it....after the test drive and with normal engine temperature, it was smoking quite a bit馃槉
According to the owner the engine was changed but the replacement engine has probably much more than the 33.000 kms it shows on the odometer.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts