Maserati Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I checked ebay last night and was surprised to see that prices on Ferrari F355s have dropped - a lot. You can now buy a nice low mileage 355 for less than what I payed for my 4200 Spyder last year.

I love my car, however it is hard to ignore that a 355 has essentially the same power (375 vs 390) but weighs over 800lbs less!! The acceleration stats are similar (likely due to gearing differences) but frankly I can't imagine the peformance in real terms to be even remotely comparable given this huge weight difference. This seems to borne out by the reviews - I couldn't find a single real criticism of the Ferrari's performance in any review that I could find (unlike the 4200). Plus it is a "real" Ferrari (a consideration for resale value, etc.).

The only downside that I could see is maintenace costs. The 355 uses cam belts (not chains like the Maser) and this means a $3000+ engine out replacement every 12K miles. I saw a few horror stories about the convertible top as well (breaks often and costs $18K to replace!!).

Anyone ever compared or thought about switching?

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
When I bought my GS last year I couldn't decide between the GS and F355. What made me go for the Maser was the back seat, warranty and "cheaper" maintenance. Regarding the back seat I'm glad I got the GS because my kids ride with me all the time. But I can't say the same about maintenance because in 8 months of ownership I've spent around $3K on the GS, and next week I'm going for a new clutch, totalling $7K... That would be enough for regular maintenance on the F355. And to top it off, the warranty so far hasn't helped me at all.

So with the experience I have now, if I didn't need a back seat I would definetly go for the F355. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE my GS, but having a F355 is an old dream of mine... GTS red/tan manual trans. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The rear seats are a very valid point. I think the 4200 is the best choice out there if that is a consideration - all things considered.

In my case, my desire was always for a convertible so the two are equal from that perspective (both have no back seats).

In my case, I have spent a tremendous amount of time, effort and money trying to get the Maserati up to a comparable level of performance using aftermarkt mods - with reasonale sucess - but I think the 355 would be already be there without any aftermarket work....

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Now knowing that you are talking about the 4200 spyder, I'd go for the 355 with no second thoughts!

·
Registered
793 Posts
---prices on Ferrari F355s have dropped - a lot.
It is not the maintenance costs that make a 355 costly. It's issues with catlytic converters, headers, and valve guides. The 95-97's had considerable problems with these items, and if not fixed a while ago a buyer could be looking at $12K-$15K of work!

So some of the cars whose prices have "dropped" could be the cars that deferred this work and it's now time to pay the piper. The prices are declining on these.

The engine has to be dropped out on the 355 for most maintenance issues, and that gets a bit pricey.

Yes Ferrari uses belts rather than chains through the 360 models, but those are really not a major issue.

The 355 is a nice car. However it requires a bit of regular maintenance. I personally don't think Ferrari made a better looking spider than this model.

Just be careful. If you are not knowledgeable and don't know what to ask, find someone who does. You'll save yourself a ton of $ and aggrivation.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just be careful. If you are not knowledgeable and don't know what to ask, find someone who does. You'll save yourself a ton of $ and aggrivation.
I think that I am in too deep to switch now. I was just curious as to peoples's thoughts - thanks for the insight.

·
Registered
78 Posts
also remember that the F355 will be at the very least, a 6 year older car than the GS. (ended production in 99 ... GS started 05).

·
5,887 Posts
I think there is still quite a price spread between the F355 and the Maser Spyder.

A sorted out 355 is still around $70K-$75K in the US. A nice '04/'05 Maser Spyder is in the mid $40K in the US. With a $30K-$35K price gap, there probably isn't that much cross-shopping going on.

With all that said, if I wasn't 6'5, the F355 is where I would have spent my money. IMHO, at current prices, the 355 is an awesome value.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Registered
722 Posts
Looks very nice to my uneducated eye. And a 6-speed.

Amazing, my Maser has taken only two years to go from $120K to $60K, the 355 took ten.

·
5,887 Posts
That's what I thought too until I took a look around. You can get what looks like a pretty decent 355 Spyder for well under $60K - as an example see the attached link.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ferr...006QQitemZ160269131802QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW
I would be suspicious of a 355 in the high $50Ks. The one on ebay for $59K has no service records (other than the resale service) and doesn't mention valve guide replacement.

The car in the link was in an accident back in 1998....
http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=112906&highlight=zffxr48axv0109440

Even if it was a perfect car (which it isn't), there is still a $20K price gap between the Maser and the Ferrari. A 50% price disparity is not insignificant. There is no dispute the 355 is a great car for the money. Now that we can import 355s into Canada, we should see Canadian 355 values fall through the floor.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Guys.

Is the name "Ferrari" worth an extra $20-$40k to get a car that is about 8 years older than others?

I know that from what I have seen... a new car is nicer in the eyes of people than an old car.

Maserati = Ferrari in most peoples eyes... and in performance, with a few FD mods, it blows it out of the water...

So, final question: Would you rather be "That dude who just bought a 10 year old Ferrari", or "That guy with the new Maserati"?

·
5,887 Posts
Is the name "Ferrari" worth an extra $20-$40k to get a car that is about 8 years older than others?
To many people, yes. The two cars are completely different. There are many more factors to consider other than the name badge and model year.

and in performance, with a few FD mods, it blows it out of the water...
Thankfully, performance alone isn't everything. A $25K used Corvette with a couple of performance mods can be quite a contender.

·
Registered
793 Posts
---So, final question: Would you rather be "That dude who just bought a 10 year old Ferrari", or "That guy with the new Maserati"?
Who cares what you buy? It should be what you feel!

If it's image over value, then go with image, but that approach has teeth and bites hard!

TravisJ makes good points, and not heeding those points will bite you in the a**!

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I would be suspicious of a 355 in the high $50Ks. The one on ebay for $59K has no service records (other than the resale service) and doesn't mention valve guide replacement.

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=112906&highlight=zffxr48axv0109440

Even if it was a perfect car (which it isn't), there is still a $20K price gap between the Maser and the Ferrari. A 50% price disparity is not insignificant. There is no dispute the 355 is a great car for the money. Now that we can import 355s into Canada, we should see Canadian 355 values fall through the floor.
An accident - ouch! I guess that's why checking records is important. The change to Canadian import regulations surprised me - I agree that this will drive the market down.

·
Registered
340 Posts

Importing the car isn't the problem, the $5K for a recall letter and the modification costs will help maintain a big price differential.

·
5,887 Posts
Importing the car isn't the problem, the $5K for a recall letter and the modification costs will help maintain a big price differential.
The letter is $2K and the visual inspection is $3K. If you go the standard route, the total aside from duty is $5K. However, there is a work-around that is much less expensive. Send me a PM if you want more info.

Even with $5K in fees, US cars are still significantly less expensive than Canadian cars.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
there is a reason why 355 is priced the way it is now, and similarly for a 4200.

supply and demand. maintenance costs. ferrari quality back then...

you can get a brand new exige S or _________ (insert you own desired car) and give you as much thrill as a 355 or 4200. or one of those whatever neon. lol. whatever you like.

i guess most of us here would prefer a maserati over a 10+ year old 355, otherwise we will be over at Fchat F355 subforum.

IMO, i feel the F355 is a little dated now... you've got the 360 and then 430 now. it seems for ferrari each generation gets much better and better (vs Maserati - the 4200 and GT are still very similar in performance, etc).

the Ferrari i would consider 'upgrade' from my maserati's is a Challenge Stradale. (a lot more $$$!)

1 - 20 of 56 Posts