Maserati Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
I am about to bid on a nice Maserati coupe auction which is expiring in a few hours from now.
Looking at the pictures I came across this detail which made me worry a lot.
The rear axle links seems rusted, the corrosion is quite noticeable. So I am about to think not to bid anymore.
Anyone of you have experience on this issue ? Does it look normal in your opinion ? The car is in California,
but I am worried the corrosion may get way worse over time. Should I pass ?

Here is the main auction link. I Already saw the car and tried it but only now I notice this corrosion area which is not a good sign in my opinion.

thanks a lot for your comments

·
Registered
339 Posts
I don't think it looks that bad. If I had it, I would put some rust inhibitor on it and spray it with some black rust preventative paint. Unless you are planning to drive in salt, it should be fine. I've used this with good results. Loctite Extend

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks a lot for your comment, that sounds like a very good idea.
The car will be driven only in California, SF Bay Area.

I don't think it looks that bad. If I had it, I would put some rust inhibitor on it and spray it with some black rust preventative paint. Unless you are planning to drive in salt, it should be fine. I've used this with good results. Loctite Extend

·
Registered
226 Posts
Its a manual so go for it, the floor isnt rusty and its on minor spots its also spent most of its life in dry states.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Its a manual so go for it, the floor isnt rusty and its on minor spots its also spent most of its life in dry states.
I'm trying to get it, it is a beautiful car. I drove it, the only thing is that in my opinion the clutch will need to be replaced soon. The clutch pedal engages at the top end even though it is not slipping yet, it is an indicator of clutch thickness is almost gone. Maybe $4000 to replace it ?

·
Registered
226 Posts
I'm trying to get it, it is a beautoful car. I drove it, the only thing is that in my opinion the clutch will need to be replaced soon. The cluth pedal engages at the top end even though it is not slipping yet, it is an indicator of clutch thickness is almost gone. Maybe $4000 to replace it ?
The parts needed for a proper job(including flywheel and all other parts) are around 2 grand and installation depends on where you get it done or if you DIY.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Would suggest the clutch replaced but flywheel could be resurfaced if not overcooked, just let the car warm up before going for drives 2nd gear can be reluctant

·
Registered
585 Posts
I agree that the rust you see is insignificant. As for the clutch engaging at the top end, I think that is normal. Mine is the same way.

Reactions: MJK1

·
Registered
79 Posts
Oh yeah it’s top end engagement for sure just a quirk of the car but if it’s on it’s first clutch around 50k miles is most you can expect

·
Registered
585 Posts
Mine is the original clutch and I have 60k. If driven properly, I think they can surely last a while.

·
Registered
Quattroporte Sport GTS 2012
15 Posts
Looks like a nice car, wonder what they “refurbished” on the engine though and hope it was done by a dealer… but I think they got the colour wrong, that looks more like Grigio Touring, it’s too silver for Alfieri

·
Registered
2007 Gransport Ltd Grigio alfieri, 2009 Alfa Romeo 8C Competizione, 2021 Levante Gransport
115 Posts
Looks like a nice car, wonder what they “refurbished” on the engine though and hope it was done by a dealer… but I think they got the colour wrong, that looks more like Grigio Touring, it’s too silver for Alfieri
Correct. It's absolutely not Grigio Alfieri

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm trying to get it, it is a beautiful car. I drove it, the only thing is that in my opinion the clutch will need to be replaced soon. The clutch pedal engages at the top end even though it is not slipping yet, it is an indicator of clutch thickness is almost gone. Maybe $4000 to replace it ?
My 2 cents. ..
The rust is a non-issue.
If you want a nice car, don’t let a few dollars stand in the way. This car sold for Honda/Kia/Ford f150 prices.
Exotic cars aren’t cheap- but they sure are fun!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Yep, clutch position at the top is normal. As for the rust in the photo I would say nothing to worry about.
There was some guys on here with over 100k on original clutch. My release bearing went at 70k and when the mechanic pulled it apart he said my clutch was half worn and I have no receipt that it previously had a clutch.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts