Maserati Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I rush a 2-3 upshift I get a little grind. It doesn't happen when I shift slower, only when I'm rushing it, and it still goes into gear, just makes a noise. It sounds just like the non-synchro 'box in the car I ran at Skip Barber. Am I beating out the synchro, or is this a sign of the synchro going bad? Anyone know how many synchs are on the 3rd gear in that gearbox? Anyone else have this problem?

·
Registered
188 Posts
How are your downshifts? If those are smooth then I doubt it is an issue with the synchros.

BTW, those Skip Barber cars are a blast, ah?

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
RQ said:
How are your downshifts? If those are smooth then I doubt it is an issue with the synchros.

BTW, those Skip Barber cars are a blast, ah?
Downshifts are fine, but I rarely downshift fast into 3rd at like 5-5500rpm...so far it's only happened on the upshift. I'm worried if I tell the service super that I was grinding gears I might get some warranty issues on it.

Those Barber cars are fun but what was really fun was driving them around Laguna Seca!!

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I talked to the dealer and he said they were just loud trannies. As if to prove that there are ******** in Italy, he said in later years the fix for the grinding noise was to wrap the transmission in a rubber blanket. You can't make this stuff up :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a 2000 QP V8 (11,000 miles) with a manual gearbox. I don't know if it is the same gearbox as your car but it does exactly the same thing that you describe on 2-3 upshifts. It's always been that way and my sense it that this is normal. Certainly it seems to get no worse over time.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a 2000 QP V8 (11,000 miles) with a manual gearbox. I don't know if it is the same gearbox as your car but it does exactly the same thing that you describe on 2-3 upshifts. It's always been that way and my sense it that this is normal. Certainly it seems to get no worse over time.

Hope this helps

1 - 7 of 7 Posts