Maserati Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I rush a 2-3 upshift I get a little grind. It doesn't happen when I shift slower, only when I'm rushing it, and it still goes into gear, just makes a noise. It sounds just like the non-synchro 'box in the car I ran at Skip Barber. Am I beating out the synchro, or is this a sign of the synchro going bad? Anyone know how many synchs are on the 3rd gear in that gearbox? Anyone else have this problem?

·
Registered
188 Posts
How are your downshifts? If those are smooth then I doubt it is an issue with the synchros.

BTW, those Skip Barber cars are a blast, ah?

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
RQ said:
How are your downshifts? If those are smooth then I doubt it is an issue with the synchros.

BTW, those Skip Barber cars are a blast, ah?
Downshifts are fine, but I rarely downshift fast into 3rd at like 5-5500rpm...so far it's only happened on the upshift. I'm worried if I tell the service super that I was grinding gears I might get some warranty issues on it.

Those Barber cars are fun but what was really fun was driving them around Laguna Seca!!

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I talked to the dealer and he said they were just loud trannies. As if to prove that there are rednecks in Italy, he said in later years the fix for the grinding noise was to wrap the transmission in a rubber blanket. You can't make this stuff up :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a 2000 QP V8 (11,000 miles) with a manual gearbox. I don't know if it is the same gearbox as your car but it does exactly the same thing that you describe on 2-3 upshifts. It's always been that way and my sense it that this is normal. Certainly it seems to get no worse over time.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a 2000 QP V8 (11,000 miles) with a manual gearbox. I don't know if it is the same gearbox as your car but it does exactly the same thing that you describe on 2-3 upshifts. It's always been that way and my sense it that this is normal. Certainly it seems to get no worse over time.

Hope this helps

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
4 Participants
scroutledge
Maserati Forum
We’re a forum to discuss the Maserati Coupé, Spyder, GranTurismo, Ghibli, Quattroporte and more!
Full Forum Listing