Maserati Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking for some time to find an '04 or newer Spyder with the main criteria being a manual transmission. CC sounds great, but I am a three pedal kind of guy. Anyone have an idea of what percentage of Spyders were built with a manual? Let me know if you know of a manual Spyder running around - especially in N. California.

·
Registered
744 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Drove this Car

I drove this car two weeks ago. Lots of cowl shake. Also fit and finish had deteriorated a bit. I also found I preferred the paddle shifters to manual (despite liking manual transmissions generally). If you're in the area, definitely go test drive before you buy.

RC

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks

What made you prefer the CC? I have read all the previous threads on manual vs CC but would be interested in what made you change your mind. I had a Tiptronic on my Carrera (996) and found that I longed for a clutch...

·
Registered
744 Posts
Manual Spyder

Mine has a lot of cowl shake too - mostly on rough roads though. I think that is endemic to the model rather than the specific car.

A note on manuals - the shiting is definately "old school". Long throws, a bit imprecise and notchy especially from first to second and second to third. Two dealers told me that this can be mitigated by adjusting the cables which I will have done in the spring.

In summary - not state of the art shifting but you will get used to it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Shift vs. Manual

I drove the Gransport as a comparison. I found the upgrades on the Gransport transmission reduced transmission lag to zero. You get the same enjoyment as a manual -i.e. true involvement in driving. Compared to the Mercedes I own, which has a "fake" paddle shifter (i.e. paired with an automatic transmission), the Maserati wins hands down in being a true driving experience. As one mechanic I talked to put it, CC is the future of high end driving (and is included now on most high end drivers cars).

The manual, by comparison, just felt rough. I think the Honda I owned right out of college had a smoother transmission.

I would try both, however, and make up your own mind. Opinions, however, are free!

·
Registered
722 Posts
I think a double-clutch sequential transmission is the future of high-end driver's cars. My GS CC is fun when on it, but merely OK in town, shifts are slow and tend toward jerky compared to a twin-clutch.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
go test drive this spyder and see for yourself.
there will always be a demand for manual spyder.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Cowl shake????????????

I've read lots of posts about cowl shake and was able to force a better deal when I bought my Spyder GT 'cause it shook. It was obvious to me that the front wheels were bent and when I got them straightened (ca $200) voila no more shake. Surely I'm not the only one who has cured the dreaded "cowl shake" this way.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts