Maserati Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to make my first Mas. purchase, probably a Spyder. I've trolled through the forums and have some questions (and some concerns).

I live on an island so getting to the nearest certified dealer in the event of a breakdown would be a serious tow of around 80 miles plus a couple of ferry rides. Should this concern me?

The clutch life seems to be an issue. Is this on both the manual and the paddle shift or just the latter? I'd prefer paddle shift but would settle for stick shift if clutch issues were avoided as a benefit.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Paddle or manual shift

I have the manual shifter and am very happy with it. The paddle shifter IMHO was not an option 'cause I figured that with the paddle the clutch was either engaged or not. There are lots of times when one needs to partially engage the clutch such as:

From stop at light on hill
Backing into parallel parking spot
Just backing up in general

I have not done a search on this topic but I'd be very interested in learning how situations like these are handled with the paddle. My Spyder has 25K miles and so far no clutch problems.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Paddle...

I've got an 02 Spyder with CC gearbox and the joy you get from a downshift, where the throttle gets automatically blipped, cannot be measured by any known device :)

Bear in mind that the car was designed for the CC gearbox.

I've done 14000 miles on my clutch, mainly commuting traffic and you just put it into neutral by pulling on both paddles at once. It's also a lot quicker changing than using traditional manual.

I'd go flappy paddle over manual anytime. Takes a couple of days to get it so that passengers aren't aware you've changed gear and is very intuitive. You can drive immediately without any fear of gear grinding, stalling etc. Why do you think so many high end performance cars have it these days ?

Just my 2c worth.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I can not speak to the stick as I have F1.

However there are many posts about failed F1 pump and that is a cambio part. Mine failed and was replaced under warranty.

F1 is a blast to drive and does still involve you in the car. In fact treating it like auto yields an unpleasnt ride.

I would guess stick is going to be more reliable from F1 pump perspective. How many stick failures have been reported?

·
Registered
329 Posts
I have an '02 Coupe GT. The car has no issues and has always performed well over the past 17,500 miles. Granted the CC shifts faster; and driving with friends, their cars (with the CC) do demonstrate a superiority in performance. For my taste, I will support my decision to buy the GT.

·
Registered
246 Posts
This has been discussed ad naseum in previous posts. It appears to be mostly a personal preference, although bordering on a religious level of fervor for some.
If you want to be 'pure' and 'old school' go with the manual.
If you want to try something new (and IMHO better) go with the F1. It is apparently the future (see Ferrari, Lambo, Aston Martin, Maserati - at least
until the Granturismo). It does take some learning to get the most out of it,
but once you figure it out it is amazing. Nothing better on the track for sure!
F1 style trannys have their idiosyncrasies, no argument. My clutch lasted to
30K miles and was only replaced because the F1 pump was replaced and
I chose to do it then. It had 20-40% left at 30K miles, but most of my
driving is freeway, non-commute, non-hill starts, with a couple of track
days per year with aggressive up/down shifting. Your mileage may vary
depending on usage patterns.
Look at the recent thread by nomorejags about a much more economical
approach to F1 pump repair, which is quite enlightening. This whole F1
pump thing is the only issue with F1 that I am aware of.
See lots of earlier posts on the best way to drive the F1/CC, esp. to
maximize clutch life.
Good luck with whatever you decide. These cars are a tremendous value,
esp. used. I bought mine new, but have no regrets. Whatever you do,
drive the s**t out of it!
MikeA

·
Registered
824 Posts
I have the manual shifter and am very happy with it. The paddle shifter IMHO was not an option 'cause I figured that with the paddle the clutch was either engaged or not. There are lots of times when one needs to partially engage the clutch such as:

From stop at light on hill
Backing into parallel parking spot
Just backing up in general

I have not done a search on this topic but I'd be very interested in learning how situations like these are handled with the paddle. My Spyder has 25K miles and so far no clutch problems.
The F1/CC handles all of these situations reasonably well.

On the later (04+?) cars the software hillholder measures the angle of the slope you are on and helps with clutch life. Only the steepest hills (and slow traffic) cause the CC to come unglued. You need to be deliberate about the throttle use because this is how the computer infers what you want to happen.

Backing up, the clutch does not fully engage on the CC so it does feel quite normal when parking (again providing you get used to how the throttle works).

However, parking and traffic are where you will experience the CC at its worst, but it loves the open road.

Glenn

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
I bought my Gransport a little over a month ago, and it's my first time with a paddle shift. It's very easy to get used to and the downshifts are a blast, BUT I think I'd rather have a stick.... Believe it or not I miss the clutch and changing the gears myself.

But don't worry about parking or uphills, it's actually easier than with a stick.

From a maintenance standpoint, it's definetly more prone to problems than the stick, and clutch does last less. I think that if reliability is a major issue for you, go with the stick shift.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks, all, for the advice.

In my younger years I'd have plumped for the manual without thinking twice. Now I'm in my 50's, stirring porridge with a stick shift, particularly in urban traffic, elicits plain, pants-off boredom. Even though the Mas. won't be a commuter car (I'm semi-retired and work from home), our island is a morass of lanes and narrow roads which makes for a lot of gear changes.

Clutch changes at 30k intervals were something I grew up with in the British cars of the 50's and early 60's but I've grown used to the mundane reliability of German and Japanese engineering. I'm not sure I'd like to get used to shelling out fat sums for a new Italian clutch every 3 years or so and I do intend to keep the Mas. for quite some time. Now that my track (like my boxing) days are behind me, I'm leaning toward the manual. My wife can't drive a stick shift which might mean the Mas. would be exclusively mine. On the other hand I'd hate to experience the crunch of unclutched gear changes if she developed the passion to learn to stick shift in it . . . .

·
Registered
72 Posts
A good decision.

Millisecond gear changes suit Ferraris on tracks - don't think a 4200 has a place on one really unless it's a Gransport. A Spyder certainly doesn't as it suffers from scuttle shake quite badly compared to other convertibles of it's size.

A manual with a clutch is always more rewarding than paddles and left foot braking which is just bad driving!

·
Premium Member
98 Posts
I have an '06 GS. It is going to the shop tomorrow for its 24 month service. the only other time it was at the shop was for its 12 month service...not a problem to report in the first 10,000 miles.

I do not like the paddle shifts. I have tried to like them, I really have. They are responsive and seem to work well, but I do not like them. If i am driving hard in bright sunlight, you can not see what gear you are in. I thought it might be better on the track, so I raced it a few times on a tight track, and it was no better. i was better off leaving the car in 3rd gear than missing the shifts. I dont dislike it enough to get rid of the car, but it is more fun to drive my Shelby with the 6-speed.

go for the car, I love mine. I think it is the best buy on the market.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts