Maserati Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am not sure of the term here but the late model Corvettes, my 2001 and 2004 both had this, usually when in low gear and coasting or just keeping a light foot in on the clutch till the gear is engaged; I have noticed this on the 4200; just wondering if you guys know what I am talking about; it does not affect shifting or anything else; we used to sat the linkage needed adjustment but I just had that done so I am not sure that affects it on the Maserati.........dogodc

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hard to explain?

sounds like a "chain rattle" maybe; usaully in parking lot slow rolling when you are coasting,pushing clutch in, like when I come home, I hear it when I go from 2nd to ast at the bottom of my driveway; I have to slow down and dwon shift and I roll for a second as I turn UP the drive... ; I know it is NOt tearing up anyhting from my vette experience', maybe you hear it but have never been concerned, just thought I would ask..........dogdoc

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
OK, sounds like marbles maybe?

that is how someone on the Porsche forum describes it;I just put in a search for Torque tube noise and the CV joint came up but so did the torque tube or clutch plate under the Porsche forum, they list it as what I said, pushing the clutch in as you are almost just at a slow roll,going up my driveway; does this sound MORE familiar at all to anyone with a 6 speed? any TECHS out there; the clutch shifts fine at 14K miles, no slip, and it only does it at this very slow roll, like a short rattle, I guess I can go to the shop that did the mods or dealer and let them go with me for a test ride, I JUST went to the Corvette FOrum and typed in "tranny rattle" and up comes many posts on this; they say it is the throwout bearing and Chevrolet has never gotten a fix, they hear it at traffic lights and the joke was TO KEEP THE CLUTCH IN WHEN YOU GO TO SHUT IT OFF; otherwise you do hear this rattle, this IS the same noise I hear in my 4200, its not often and only in a slow coast with clutch in and rolling in my driveway....I found a thread on here that says it is the torque tube converter;at least on this guys GS he posted awhile back; is this normal or is it actually going bad?.......I can't be the only one to hear this but maybe I am........dogdoc

·
Registered
357 Posts
I don't hear that on my '02 stick shift. If it is a failing part, it will get worse and be easier to diagnose. Otherwise, don't worry about it.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Called dealer this morning....

he knew what I was talking about but he said they have never pursued the noise as it did not seem to be an issuel so like Freddy said, if it gets worse I will have an idea of where it is coming from, for now, I am going to just ignore it, the torque tube seems to be the concensus, thnx guys! dogdoc

1 - 9 of 9 Posts