Maserati Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a stock 2004 Coupe F1, I had more that my share of issues with my car in the 22 miles I added since early May. After 5 weeks of waiting for the dealer to install a new f1 harness I got the car back Saturday.Today ( Tuesday) I had some time to not only start it but add a few miles. I went on a local straight almost never used backroad. I was at 3.5k rpms in 1st ( sport mode) and hit it,I shifted each gear at about 7200 rpms ( Only till 4th) Very hard to believe this engine only has 395hp. For a car that weights close to two tons with gas and a driver to pull that hard makes me think the factory underated the output. Feels faster then my old E55 which, I think had 456hp and weighted about the same.:) Today was the 1st time I redlined any gear with this car let alone the first 4. The most fun I will have all week.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Sounds fun.

I never got down on my Mas - but couldn't even imagine going that fast.

I have a friend drives NASCAR Sprint Cup. I'm hoping he takes me out on a track with it.

Gene

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Welcome to the club!!

Find a nice very long straight, do that up through 5th and see what happens!
: - )

·
Registered
7 Posts
Before i bought my GT, I hired one and took it to France and Germany for a long weekend. I got the GT to 160 mph or just over but didn't have enough bottle to flick it into 6th and push on. A small hatchback pulled out in my lane for no reason about 300/400 yds ahead and before i knew it i was on his tailpipe having slowed to about 80mph. So maybe it was good fortune i bottled it.
My point is I think its laughable that some motoring journalists knock the GT because its not quick enough or doesn't have the grunt... find me a road i can drive on everyday where i can do 180 mph safely!! In the UK you get a long ban or prison for doing over 100mph.
I'm a big guy, 6foot 5inches and 250lbs and i have to hang on in sport mode when i floor my GT... Its got enough grunt for me.;)

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This X-weekend drag racer knows Grunt, And its got it

Back in the late 70s till late 80s I would race at a long closed drag strip on Long Island N.Y I know what 11.5 @121 feels like in the 1/4 mile. ( 1969 Nova with a 427 worked chevy).The Maserati I have isn't that kind of quick at all. However I bet 13.0 to 13.3 at 108 to 110 is close to what it can do . If any journalist doesn't think thats quick Well, I think it has something to do with not wanting to give credit were credit is due. I think I got that "How fast can I go" bug. Been years, Already thinking about "off road pipes, new ECUs, better mufflers,

·
Registered
513 Posts
I am a little surprised

after reading many posts here, about others driving habits. While I have no F1 racing aspirations, I do tend to shift at minimum at 4k, more regularly at 5k. I would say our engines were designed with 7k shifts in mind. Am I in the minority here?

·
Registered
513 Posts
Gene....

maybe you need a Tubi and an exhaust upgrade, once you hear the engine revv above 3k, it becomes addictive and you learn to shift by sound, not by Rpm

Formula Dymanics is just a click away!

·
Super Moderator
4,261 Posts
Yes.

That's what I need.

Do you have a link for that?

How do I buy that?

Gene
FormulaDynamics imports Larini exhausts :) Not sure where to find Tubis though :confused:

The Larinis sound great and offer a great price/quality ratio. I am in Japan, the Kingdom of Exhausts, and the stuff here is amazing but costs a fortune. If your pockets are deep enough, then I'd suggest getting a Kreissieg.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Way more fun at redline!

I find a significant number of opportunities to shift at redline through the lower gears (up to 3rd, very rarely 4th) during my morning commute. There is no doubt in my mind based on the car's performance that this style of driving is what the car is designed for. In the evening traffic bottles up and it's necessary to fit in with much heavier congestion. Even then I'll run the car up to around 4K in the really low gears (1st or 2nd), let off the gas and let engine braking decelerate the car versus upshifting and constantly hitting the brakes. Cool deceleration exhaust sounds, and better driving control - what's not to like? When I need a new clutch or F1 pump I'll buy it - you gotta pay to play!

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
I redlined in 5th recently (unexpectedly) & panicked and didn't have the sense to look at the speedo while glancing at the tach. Anyone have an idea as to how fast I may have been going or, how to calculate?

·
Registered
78 Posts
premature eshiftulation . . .

if your shifting at 3k you haven't even heard the music of that car yet. The real orchestra doesn't even begin until +7k.

·
Registered
250 Posts
The notion of Italian Tuning is real, and valuable for some cars, and I suspect Maseratis in particular.

Far from doing harm by revving an engine, you're actually significantly helping its longevity. Redline the engine once in a while, or at least get it over 5k, and only when the engine is hot. You don't need 5 miles of open freeway - just a stretch to hit higher revs in 1st and 2nd will do. This isn't about speed, it's about revs.

Why? High performance engines are designed around the assumption of higher revs and the increased gas flows through the engine. Persistent low rev running will result in increased carbon deposits on piston heads, valve seats and the various emissions systems.

Having driven Porsches for many years, I can say with confidence that my cars were healthier and more driveable as a result of redlining once a day (in 1st and 2nd on a quiet part of my daily commute). I had the added benefit of exceptionally low emissions on smog checks and near-perfect valves when looked at through a scope. This is empirically the view held by most/all serious Porsche owners - ie not just looking for the badge or a garage queen.

I'm not advocating thrashing an engine to within an inch of its life. Rather the regular high-rev burst in a safe place.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
1/4 Miles...

Quote:
This X-weekend drag racer knows Grunt, And its got it

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Back in the late 70s till late 80s I would race at a long closed drag strip on Long Island N.Y I know what 11.5 @121 feels like in the 1/4 mile. ( 1969 Nova with a 427 worked chevy).The Maserati I have isn't that kind of quick at all. However I bet 13.0 to 13.3 at 108 to 110 is close to what it can do . If any journalist doesn't think thats quick Well, I think it has something to do with not wanting to give credit were credit is due. I think I got that "How fast can I go" bug. Been years, Already thinking about "off road pipes, new ECUs, better mufflers,

Reponse:
I used to have a 68 Camaro, worked 327, 3800rpm stall convertor, did 11.97in the quarter... Like you I remember the grunt and if you add the piggy back ECU from Jeff, you will feel that same grunt. Plus your new car can turn, that Nova, much like my Camaro, was like an old Chris-Craft in the turns, an old boat.

·
5,887 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So true, GrndlkNatv It did turn like a boat.

Also lets not forget, header leaks, the smell of raw gas , breaking the rear end ( Always fun when it blows shifting into a higher gear, then locks up at say 60 mph ) 0-60 ft braking in about 300 feet (That's if the brakes work) 6 mpg, hoping its going to start ( O.k that's a little like the Maserati) and my personal favorite..Can you get from the front seat to under the hood before the car blows up due to a gas leak?) Did I miss again?

1 - 20 of 40 Posts