·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What would be your choice given the options of:

1) 2006/7 BMW M6
2) 2006 Gransport
3) 2006/7 Porsche 911 GT3

I've owned a 996 GT3, an E46 M3, and a 2004 Maserati Spyder CC, so from a reference point, I think the M6 would be the best balance of performance/comfort. The 996 GT3 was amazing on the track, but for regular driving, it was a little too rough. The Gransport has a lot more character than the M6, but it lags far behind in terms of HP/lb. Also, since Tulsa lost its Maserati dealer, I'd have to have the car serviced in Dallas, which is 5 hours away.

What do y'all think?

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
as you have driven equivalents of the ones listed, you would know how much you would like the maserati and the porsche.

here is a Top Gear / Jeremy Clarkson review of the AM V8, M6, and the 997S.

personally i think the M6 is ugly and uninteresting.
Gransport would be a nice choice but if service is too far away, it will be a problem.
997GT3 would be very nice.

In your choices, I would do a European Delivery of the 997GT3, enjoy it, and then think about the M6.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Well, fairly typical choices for many of us who bought Masers I would think.

Had lots of bimmers and P-cars, raced them too, will likely have some more as time goes by.

Actually went to test drive both a GS and a GT3 from the same dealer, had it lined up. After the GS I didn't even bother with the test drive.

For now the GS provides something special that the two others, nice as they are, do not.

Have you driven one?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Gs

I test drove a Gransport at the local dealer when we still had one. This was before I got (and later sold) the Carrera GT. If I hadn't already put down a deposit on the CGT, I probably would have gotten the GS instead of the CGT.

However, having said that, I would have missed driving and owning arguably the finest road-going sports car ever made.

If I were to ignore lack of local servicing, what are the other choices? I know the Aston Martin V8 Vantage (or DB9 for that matter), Lamborghini Gallardo (service is only 3 hours away) or Ford GT (not sure I would ever enjoy owning a Ford). Any other suggestions in the $100-$150 price range that I'm missing?

·
Premium Member
726 Posts
On a matter of practicality, if you will *ever* have more than one passenger with you, write off the M6. The rear seat isn't. The Maserati has a few extra precious inches. Also, the styling of the M6 is simply not up to par with the Maserati, interior or exterior. The best part of the M6 is the engine/drivetrain and some of the gadgetry. In any case, if you're seriously considering the M6, I'd wait another year or so until the electronics gremlins and a few of the engine glitches are dealt with.

·
Registered
188 Posts
WDMinnow said:
If I were to ignore lack of local servicing, what are the other choices? I know the Aston Martin V8 Vantage (or DB9 for that matter), Lamborghini Gallardo (service is only 3 hours away) or Ford GT (not sure I would ever enjoy owning a Ford). Any other suggestions in the $100-$150 price range that I'm missing?
The Gallardo is what I really covet but exceeds the "show off" threshold... I know it sounds weird but the GS in black is still on the more conservative side of the fence.

Any Carrera blends in too but the current ones just don't grab me anymore.

The AM has a lot of potential, never owned one but its on my list.

The Ford would be a hoot but have you tried to sit in one of those? It makes a Viper or Elise seem "plush". I'm sure it would a lot of fun but can't imagine even an occasional commute in one of them. And I doubt they can be had for $150 but not sure.

Have fun shopping!

·
Premium Member
901 Posts
RQ said:
The Gallardo is what I really covet but exceeds the "show off" threshold... I know it sounds weird but the GS in black is still on the more conservative side of the fence.
I think a Gallardo in black might help make an exception to this. The orange and yellow are certainly screaming for attention.

As far as the original question in the topic I would choose in order:

GS
M6

·
Registered
390 Posts
I think the M6 is painfully ugly but objectively its definitely the best car there. I've never been a 911 fan, but they are practical cars and they're sturdy as all hell, plus reliable. I've owned two M cars and one Porsche and I sold both Ms before they turned 20k, they were perfect but bored me. I kept the Porsche for 7 years and 70k miles by contrast. I've moved on to the Maser and it's really a great car but I'm almost afraid to subject it to the daily grind, it does it great but it just feels superior to that, like telling Kate Moss to go get you a beer while you watch football.

If my car got stolen today I'd get either a Cayman or maybe possibly an AM V8.

·
Premium Member
726 Posts
Squid:

My Maserati experience has improved dramatically since I turned my '03 Coupe CC into a daily driver. Basically, unless I need to carry my mountain bike, haul large boxes, or it is snowing or icy, the Maser gets the nod.

The beautiful side effect of this is that I'm gaining a lot of confidence in the reliability of the car - I don't feel like I'm "using up" any of its magic! In fact, I feel like the car *loves* to be driven, and that it will get better with age...

Don't be afraid...head towards the light!

·
Registered
390 Posts
No! I love it! And it works amazingly! But for that 1/2 mile drive down to Taco Bell for a burrito, I just feel guilty subjecting the thing to that.

·
Registered
196 Posts
WDMinnow said:
..... Any other suggestions in the $100-$150 price range that I'm missing?
Have you considered a used Maranello? Or a 456 GTM if you need the back seats? They lack the in-your-face presence of the Gallardo, more discreet, but what great cars..... Your budget exceeds the Masers, which are really a step down the price ladder.

·
Registered
63 Posts
997GT3 - Ultimate track machine IMHO
GS - Exceptionally unique sports car for getup and go
M6 - too much trickery gadgets that robs the driving involvement.

JMO

·
Registered
35 Posts
Not sure if anyone has seen the AM V8 in person, but as beautiful a car as it is, it's TINY! The interior is smaller than a Porsche Boxster, and, in fact, smaller than a Porsche Caymen. The A pillars are huge and blinding and you feel pretty cramped. It's a georgeous car to look at, and the interior styling is well executed, but it's really, really small.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for the feedback, everyone.

I have a few months before I have to make a decision. I may keep the 645 as a daily driver and get something else in addition to it.

I do really miss my Spyder. I'd get the Gransport Spyder but there was a little too much cowl shake for my taste when driving it on the track.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Crotty said:
Not sure if anyone has seen the AM V8 in person, but as beautiful a car as it is, it's TINY! The interior is smaller than a Porsche Boxster, and, in fact, smaller than a Porsche Caymen. The A pillars are huge and blinding and you feel pretty cramped. It's a georgeous car to look at, and the interior styling is well executed, but it's really, really small.
i have been in an AM V8 and it is really not *that* small.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
About this Discussion
21 Replies
11 Participants
WDMinnow
Maserati Forum
We’re a forum to discuss the Maserati Coupé, Spyder, GranTurismo, Ghibli, Quattroporte and more!
Full Forum Listing