Maserati Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I've been looking on line and talking to some members here (thanks but) I think I would like to buy within driving distance from NYC since I'm not comfortable buying site unseen. Anyone else feel that way ?

Would like a Coupe, GT or CC, Silver or Black, skyhook, less than 30k miles, don't care about NAV.

Also, what's the view on prices - I've been running across some around $35 and some running to $46 (which I think is way too high for an '02.) That's a wide range.

Thoughts ?

Let me know.

Thanks.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Ramp,

I noticed the very same with regards to the price range. I've seen '02s with less than 35k miles for $35-38k. I noticed some with the same miles, both '02s and '03s for almost 20 grand more. Why someone would pay the latter is beyond me (unless it has every option available, but even still). I wouldn't buy a car without first testing it out (especially used), but living in SoCal that wouldn't be much of a problem :). I am also looking towards buying an 02 CC within a few months (unless I decide to go with a BMW 545), so keep me updated on your situation!

·
Registered
73 Posts
03 Deals

I picked up a flawless '03 6-speed with 6200 single owner miles for $48K in August. (Need to take a decent picture for the profile!) It had just about every option I would have bought myself including Skyhook, Auditorium 200 sound system and Nav (which is nothing to write home about). These cars are out there, so I wouldn't pay much more than $40 for an '02 and only then if it's in similar condition and equipment. Good luck on your search! Best - Bill

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ramp,

I noticed the very same with regards to the price range. I've seen '02s with less than 35k miles for $35-38k. I noticed some with the same miles, both '02s and '03s for almost 20 grand more. Why someone would pay the latter is beyond me (unless it has every option available, but even still). I wouldn't buy a car without first testing it out (especially used), but living in SoCal that wouldn't be much of a problem :). I am also looking towards buying an 02 CC within a few months (unless I decide to go with a BMW 545), so keep me updated on your situation!
I'll keep you posted - the 545 is a great car but very different than the Maserati - more reliable and just as god/if not better handling around town, not as fast. I've had 3 and 5 series and currently have a Mercedes (wifes R series) Audi A6 Quattro (my winter beater) and my DD '99 911 Coupe. So, I've done the gambit on the German's - was looking into another porsche or an M3 but decided they didn't add much to what I have so I started thinking/looking around and decided that the Maserati is the one I want(although there are certain 80's Ferrari's I would consider as well)

There is a nice Black Coupe in Florida on ebay for $35k with around 25k miles and all the goodies but it has a cafax hit - see my prior carfax thread. I'm not necessarily adverse to minor fender denters if properly repaired but it makes a difference when you go to sell. I wonder whether carfax really provides a positive service as many uninformed people automatically dismiss any car with a carfax issue when in fact the car may be perfectly good - my 911 is a perfect example. When it was 6 months old, someone backed into the door - small dent that needed to be fixed - I would bet $1000 cash you cant' tell without a paint meter reading - but, price goes down anyway.

Unfortunately, although I do my research and think my decisions through fully - as here to buy a coupe, I then go into instant gratification mode - with a Porsche or BMW, not a issue, a dime a dozen. Here in NY, unless I want to spend $60 Plus on a newer coupe of GS, the picking is slim. I could go that high but would have to give something up, and don't want to do that.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I hear ya Ramp.

I currently drive a Boxster (and a Tahoe, so I am on both sides of the spectrum lol), and as much as I absolutely love the convertable and the handling, owning an Italian exotic just sparks something inside of me that keeps me up at night until I can fulfill my dream (and at 20 yrs old it makes it even harder not owning something you see and want that badly lol). I was originally only looking at 545s, as for the price it seems the perfect blend of luxury, comfort and performance, but then I started noticing CC's under 40k and couldn't bear to think purchasing a BMW when I could be purchasing a Maserati for the same price! A lot of people on here argue that in my situation I should stick with the BMW, but I really want to go for the Maserati if I can find the right deal and play my cards right. I was also looking at the black CC in Fl, perfect color combo and everything, but I'm not quite ready to shoot the gun. Personally, previous minor accidents don't bother me if I could get a good deal out of it as I wouldn't often think of selling a car I like (Boxster almost has 100k on the odo and still running like a champ lol). Good luck on your search.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I picked up a flawless '03 6-speed with 6200 single owner miles for $48K in August. ... so I wouldn't pay much more than $40 for an '02 and only then if it's in similar condition and equipment. Good luck on your search! Best - Bill
So, where do you (or others) think prices are going to bottom on the '02's/'03's - into the low $30's ? $20's ? When are they fully depreciated ?

·
Premium Member
726 Posts
So, where do you (or others) think prices are going to bottom on the '02's/'03's - into the low $30's ? $20's ? When are they fully depreciated ?
Around the year 2030.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Around the year 2030.
That would be fine with me - I don't mind some depreciation - but I try to avoid buying a car that is going to drop in value $5-10 grand in the next 12 months. I swap cars regularly - maybe b/c I haven't found something to keep me thrilled for more than 1-2 years.

Thus, I have found that the best thing to do is buy nice autos that I can enjoy and when/if I decide to move on, the hit financial hit isn't to great - which actually adds to the fun factor. E.G., my current 911 is a '99 in excellent condition and has been a great car and loads of fun, including some good road ralleys, I'm getting offers only a few grand less than I paid 1.5years ago - not bad and clearly was worth the fun.

So if I pay $40 for an '02 coupe, I don't want to turn around and have it worth $30 in 1-2 years from now.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Depreciation - What's that?

Hard to say where prices will bottom -- depends on how long you keep it. :confused:

Based on its history, I'm expecting average depreciation of 15-20% per year from this point forward, but that's a wild guess. There's a clean 2002 Coupe on ebay right now with a "Buy it Now" of $39.8K, which seems about right to me. I wouldn't go higher for an 02 and I'd only spend that much on a very clean one, especially if you're concerned about resale in a year or so.

The flip side is that the car is so much fun that it's a steal at $40K and regardless of its true value, I love mine. Just keep in mind that it's a true GT and doesn't drive like an M3 or Boxster S - they feel much quicker. The Maserati on the other hand is flat out sexier.

Good luck with the hunt -

Bill

·
Registered
191 Posts
"Just keep in mind that it's a true GT and doesn't drive like an M3 or Boxster S - they're much quicker."

Much quicker if there is a poor driver in the Maserati. In a straight line, the Coupe/GS is faster than a Boxster S (0-60 5.2s according to porsche, 5.0s according to Motor Trend) and equal to a E46 M3 (4.8s). On the track, Boxsters are not great either and Coupes have been proven on Italian testing circuits. So, depends entirely on the driver. Now, if you mean the Coupe has too much squat and roll on its stock springs, I would agree; that doesn't necessarily translate into "much quicker".

·
Registered
73 Posts
"Just keep in mind that it's a true GT and doesn't drive like an M3 or Boxster S - they're much quicker."

Much quicker if there is a poor driver in the Maserati. In a straight line, the Coupe/GS is faster than a Boxster S (0-60 5.2s according to porsche, 5.0s according to Motor Trend) and equal to a E46 M3 (4.8s). On the track, Boxsters are not great either and Coupes have been proven on Italian testing circuits. So, depends entirely on the driver. Now, if you mean the Coupe has too much squat and roll on its stock springs, I would agree; that doesn't necessarily translate into "much quicker".
True - should have said the M3 feels much quicker. I think of it as "quick" because it's a lighter, nimbler car to throw around compared to the Maser, but you're right about the straight line numbers. Better edit my post before I start getting hate mail! ;)

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Renewed

Thought I would put this back on top. Although now I'm moving closer to an '04. I have a post up on an '04 I'm looking at but think the price is high at $47k w/ 30k miles.

Thanks

1 - 12 of 12 Posts