Maserati Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Awhile back I posted a question about lowering an 06' QP with the factory coil over system. Most responded that it couldn't but done. So during my last service visit I just asked the question & was told that it wasn't a problem. The QP has the same coil over system as the ferrari 360. They told me to take the car to a local custom wheel place here in Atlanta so I could same money on the labor. Well I'm here to tell you that the outcome is amazing. They lowered the car about 1 & 1/4 inch (which is about 30 full turns on the coilover system on our car). The dealer told me to try 1&1/2 inches but I didn't want to push it. The ride quality has not changed not one bit & the handling is very tight just like they suggested it would be. It only cost me $395 including alignment. They gave me a deal because I've done so much business with them in the past. The dealer does the lowering with the shocks on the car. It was easier to take them out, compress the spring & re-install them. Here are soem before & after pics.

Attachments

·
Registered
92 Posts
Awhile back I posted a question about lowering an 06' QP with the factory coil over system. Most responded that it couldn't but done. So during my last service visit I just asked the question & was told that it wasn't a problem. The QP has the same coil over system as the ferrari 360. They told me to take the car to a local custom wheel place here in Atlanta so I could same money on the labor. Well I'm here to tell you that the outcome is amazing. They lowered the car about 1 & 1/4 inch (which is about 30 full turns on the coilover system on our car). The dealer told me to try 1&1/2 inches but I didn't want to push it. The ride quality has not changed not one bit & the handling is very tight just like they suggested it would be. It only cost me $395 including alignment. They gave me a deal because I've done so much business with them in the past. The dealer does the lowering with the shocks on the car. It was easier to take them out, compress the spring & re-install them. Here are soem before & after pics.
When something like this is done to a vehicle I would recommend that it be corner balanced. This would greatly improve vehicle handling. Also it should be aligned after lowering it. Did they advise you of these things when doing the lowering.

·
Registered
793 Posts
That is a healthy drop! Watch your clearance now!

I can't believe that the shocks and coil overs are the same as the 360. The QP is considerably heavier, but I suppose it is possible with heavier springs.

Ferrari has been known to share the parts bin!

Do get it corner balanced though.

Looks very nice.

As a note AFCO makes springs that fit the 360 coilovers. So it's possible to make changes. I just bought the 400# springs for the front of my 360 to get a bit more support and to prevent high spot road contact at speed.

See: http://www.afabcorp.com/AFCO_Dynate...GY&Store_Code=A&Category_Code=hp_coil-over-10

·
Vendor
4,728 Posts
The car looks great. However, be careful with this setup. Lowering the car with the factory springs can overwork the dampeners as the springs are already very soft on this car. You're limiting the distance that the suspension has to resist bottoming out and transfering this work from the springs over to the dampeners. This can damage the skyhook suspension. The correct way to lower the car is using the proper spring rates. This information comes directly from the Skyhook manufacturer.

In short: Given the same amount of force applied to the wheel, it now has less distance to do the same work, but you haven't changed the design at all by increasing the spring rates.

Best Regards,
-- Jeff

·
Registered
793 Posts
And w/o any reservation Mr. Jeff is the expert here.

Listen to this expert. he knows.

That's why I stated that was a healthy drop for a big car!

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was also worried about the dropping on factory springs, but the dealer assured me that it would be ok & nothing would effect my warranty. I'm going to have the rear raised another 1/4 inch to be on the safe side. The car was re-aligned but they will corner balance it at my next appointment this week. My service guy is very nice. We discussed the whole process with both the ferrari & maserati techs before they gave me the ok to do it. So far it rides exactly the same. I've done my own hard road testing to see if things were effected. So far all is good.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I already have factory 20' sport GT wheels that came with the car.

·
Registered
793 Posts
You may then need your own RX!!!

You might find that a challenging ride then.

Set aside $ for a rim fund!!!

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Are the factory wheels cast or forged?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts