Maserati Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
if any of you QP owners lowered your car, what suspension are you currently using? where u got em? how much they cost? and a quick review would be greatly appreciated!!!

reason im asking is im almost ready to do a 20" wheel tire combo and im pretty sure the car would need a drop or it would look ridiculous

im not looking for anything drastic just enough to reduce the wheel well gap so the car doesnt look like a DONK :p

btw: anyone running 22" wheel/tire combo??? i might consider that also

thank you thank you thank you

·
Registered
225 Posts
Keep this in mind;

The bigger the rim/tire, the more additional weight. You're going to affect the quickness and top end speed of the vehicle if you go that big. You'll also alter the handling. If it's all about the look, then I think you'll definitely need to lower the vehicle. Formula Dynamics has sports springs which will lower your vehicle. Just make sure you'll have wheel well and steering clearance.

·
Vendor
4,728 Posts
Quattroporte Lowering

We do offer a sport lowering kit for the QP: http://www.formuladynamics.com/products/qp_sportsprings/qp_sportsprings.php The kit will safely lower the car and provide improved handling. If you go with 22's, try to keep in mind the overall tire circumference. If you choose your tire size correctly, you will have a larger rim with a lower profile tire and so the overall size (circumference) will be the same or nearly the same. This would avoid the problems that D-Squared is referencing. Further, as he's noted you'll want to pay attention to the overall weight of the wheel / tire combination. One often overlooked aspect is the weight of the tire, not just the wheel. Ideally you want the least amount of weight and the distribution of the weight to be towards the center of the spinning wheel.

Feel free to give me a call or email to discuss.

Best Regards,
-- Jeff

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i was really leaning towards the 20" combo just my brother brought up the idea of going 22"

i will look into the FD springs

thanx!

·
Vendor
4,728 Posts
The 22's will be a "look" for sure and I wouldn't discourage you from them except by saying that from a comfort standpoint, you'll be happier with the 20's for certain.

Best Regards,
-- Jeff

·
Registered
225 Posts
I mean no insult, but in my opinion

those 22's look like truck tires. Totally changes the look of the car.

·
Registered
793 Posts
As an aside to Jeff's comments which are dead on, the QP uses the same coilover suspension as the 360/430 Ferrari's.

You can lower the car by turning down the spring collar. Each turn is 1.5 mm but you have to know the Motion Ratio of the vehicle to equate what each terms results in terms of drop.

Motion Ratio is the ratio of shock travel versus wheel travel. It is equal to the Shock Travel (in inches) per 1 inch of Wheel Travel. Motion Ratio is used to account for the different suspension geometries and the resultant mechanical leverage on the spring. In almost all cases, the Motion Ratio is less than 1.

One can generally calculate the Motion Ratio by simply dividing the shock travel by the wheel travel. Example if the shock travels 0.5 inches and the wheel travels 1 inches then the motion ratio would be 0.5/1 = 0.5.

So you have to know these numbers or what the actual Motion Ratio of the vehicle is.

Of course by lowering the OEM springs you are extending the OEM spring rate which may increase body roll a bit. I believe Jeff sells QP springs which could improve the roll and body lean issue.

Check with him.

BTW, 22" wheels/tires on a QP are absolutely ridiculous. Here's what it reminds me of.

Attachments

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
^haha thanx for the 411 Gcalo, u always seem to help me out

and those DONKS are so so stoopid hahahahaha thanx for the image

·
Registered
793 Posts
I have a lowering procedure file that is available if anyone would like it.

It's for the 360 & 430's and it's based upon a Motion Ratio of 0.70. Probably very close to what the QP is although I do not know that M.R. for certain.

How about that car, eh? Wouldn't you just die for those wheels!!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts