Maserati Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

There has been similar discussions before, but not entirely the same as my case. I noticed low oil pressure and the flickering oil light on the dash when the engine warmed up on my 24k mile 2006 GranSport and was stopped at idle. So I changed the sender unit. Shortly after leaving the shop, I noticed it happening again under the same conditions, only with a warm engine and the car being a stop or in neutral. Once I rev or accelerate the pressure goes right back up.

Id like to stress the fact that there is absolutely NO noise coming from the engine when the gauge reads 0 oil pressure as well as that engine temperature stays normal. I have noticed however that roughly 1 out of 10 attempts to start the car, it wont start during the first try, but always the second. Im not sure of thats related but figured its worth mentioning.

Like I said, I changed the sender unit, I feel ample power from the engine, and hear no noise when the gauge reads 0 oil pressure.

Does anyone have any idea what in the world is going on here? Could it be the gauge? the oil pump? any ideas?

·
Premium Member
407 Posts
I don't know the location of the sender, or if what I'm about to recommend is practical. But....

On most other cars I've had, if it appears that there may be a pressure issue, I've removed the electrical sender and connected an old fashioned mechanical gauge. Start car and see if the mechanical gauge agrees with the readout from the electrical gauge. This is just for testing, don't go driving around with a cobbled up oil gauge system.

Caveats: 1. Location may make this difficult 2. Possible that the electrical system could prevent the car from starting w/o the electrical sender connected.

As I said, this may not be practical on a Maserati. But it was a very good way to test pressure on my 308 Ferrari, and on several Chevys........

Hans.

Reactions: sc00b
5,270 Posts
+1...You need to determine if you have a mechanical or electrical issue...They make oil pressure tester gauges that simply involve you removing the oil filter and installing an adapter...It is most likely gonna be electrical...Cars with 0 oil pressure don't go very far and the engine sounds like a sewing machine...Jason

Reactions: sc00b

·
Registered
659 Posts
in my experience, a bad sending unit usually pegs out to max oil pressure all the time.
if you just have low oil pressure warnings at idle... may be the pump isn't moving enough oil at idle and you do have an low oil pressure issue.

·
Premium Member
407 Posts
I can't speak specifically about whatever sending unit Maserati is using, but all the failures I've experienced (2 in Ferrari 308's, many in various Chevys) have all either read low or fluctuated wildly. That's been my experience, however there is a guy right now on one of the Ferrari forums that is experiencing 150psi readings on a 1981 308. Wildly high, diagnosed as the sender. So I guess it can go either way.

·
Super Moderator
4,786 Posts
Bad senders, IME, don't peg out at max. In fact I've never heard of one doing that on a 4200

C

1 - 6 of 6 Posts