Maserati Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at an 03 Coupe at a Maserati dealer and the car is ticking and gurgling loudly until it is warmed up. I talked to the Ferrari/Maser mech. and he said that is normal for a "dry sump" engine.

Is this right? Do all or most Maserati's tick until they are warm?

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Oil my friend, Oil...

Change your oil and filter, try to use Mobil 1 0W-40 full european synthetic and then this clicking stuff will go away! The clicking is your lifters, the reason is oil pressure has not built up when the engine fires and it clicks until the pressure builds. If this continues you look forward to excess lifter and cam wear. What oil are you running now?

·
Registered
329 Posts
The ticking sound could just be an oil change to the proper weights for the climate. My '02 "gurgles" when warming up - quite a nice sound - in my opinion.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies. This is a car I am looking at so it is not mine. The dealer said that the sound is normal. I guess it needs different oil than they put into it.

·
Registered
357 Posts
There isn't any sound damping over the injectors so you can hear them ticking normally.... but it isn't very loud. Loud ticking certainly leads to assuming lifter noise. It has nothing to do with the fact that its a dry sump setup. It is not normal. Maybe it's got the wrong oil or old oil in it. That causes concern about how long its been in there. The dealer should not object to doing an oil/filter change and demonstrate whether that'll clear it up. If they do object, I'd assume they're hiding something. There's a good chance the "gurgling" is related to the excessive valve lash. I assume you are referring to the sound of the exhaust note. If it's some other sort of liquid gurgling sound, that is not normal either.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok - I'll have to go back and have them cold start it for me again.

The car ran great and after I got back from the test drive - it was very quiet and smooth (too quiet for me actually).

I'll find out if they changed the oil and what they are running in it if I can.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Gurgling from the EXHAUST during driving is totally normal.

Glurgling and tapping from the ENGINE is not. Probably oil.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts