Maserati Forum banner

Los Angeles Gransport Ball Polished Rim Repair

3K views 12 replies 11 participants last post by  timhynes 
#1 ·
Hi Guys,

Was wondering if anyone could suggest a place in Los Angeles to get some curb scuff marks repaired on a Gransport Ball Polished Rim.

I've heard from the BH service that it's hard to do properly because of the rim and it's polishing...

Any help would be great.

Tim

#3 ·
Just live with it

My car had some minor curb rash that was repaired before I bought the car. The only way to fix (I was told) was to grind off the rashed part, wich can only be done to very small scratches. They did it to my car and it looked great for a while but now every time I wash the car I have to take a metal polish to the wheel to keep it looking 90% as good as the others. The area that was ground awary is discolored and will not ever look as good as the others. I am considereing having all the wheels painted as a result of this.

#4 ·
My car had some minor curb rash that was repaired before I bought the car. The only way to fix (I was told) was to grind off the rashed part, wich can only be done to very small scratches. They did it to my car and it looked great for a while but now every time I wash the car I have to take a metal polish to the wheel to keep it looking 90% as good as the others. The area that was ground awary is discolored and will not ever look as good as the others. I am considereing having all the wheels painted as a result of this.
That's why I hate ball-polished rims... they look great when new, but it takes the slightest touch of a high kerb to throw you into the misery of seeing the damage...

Each time you hop into the car afterwards, taking your eyes off the scratched rim becomes almost an impossible task.

#8 ·
It can be done, but it must be done by someone who knows what they are doing (ie welded, with special finish, not Bondo'ed with aluminum paint from a spray can like I've seen). Just had mine fixed at SABS in Houston, very pleased with results, will post pictures soon. $180 for a high-quality repair vs $3,000 for a new wheel was a no-brainer decision; guess why the dealer tells you to buy new wheels..

Yuliya

#12 ·
Tim - Any luck finding someone in Los Angeles capable of fixing the ball polished rims?

I too had heard they could not be repaired (from both the BH & Auto Gallery dealers), but those pictures certainly suggest otherwise...hopefully someone has figured out how to replicate the work..

#13 ·
Hi Guys,

I was just told by Pasadena deaer that it's possible to repair ball polished as it's be done to some of the showroom cars that have had a rough test drive.

Apparently he is located in North Hollywood and i'm eager to check it out, sounds like the dealer did understand the concern of doing it properly because of the ball polish finish and thinks he does a good job.

http://www.mrchrome.com/

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.