Maserati Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Both mirrors seem a bit loose. Is it a DIY to tighten them myself?

·
Registered
824 Posts
I had this a few weeks ago --- it results when the mirrors don't fully go through an expand or retract cycle (perhaps you bumped the switch).

Just fully retract them, and then full expand them. In my case, problem solved.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, it's a bit more than that I'm afraid.

I can wiggle them by hand and they definitely feel like a screw needs tightening. Just not sure if I have to dismantle the doors to do so. :confused:

·
Registered
824 Posts
No seriously, I had the same issue, they were flopping about everywhere as I was driving. I almost went directly to the dealer to get it fixed they were so loose - I was sure something was broken internally. I thought it was the passenger mirror only but then realized it was the driver's too. Ask yourself, what is the chance they both do that at the same time?

Therefore, just try the full retract/expand and see if it works.

·
Registered
431 Posts
mirror

Is it the whole mirror or just the mirror glass? If the mirror glass need to be changed then I was told to point/adjust the mirrors way up and put a finger/tool from underneath otherwise the mirror breaks.

There are three or four screws on the underside and external on the mirrors , what happens when they are taken off?

My mirror needs to be fixed as the drivers side RHD does not retract although I can hear the motor working.

To remove the mirrors I was told to remove the red door light, remove the plastic/wood horizontal trim and the tweeter cover and then further screws holding the mirror.

Recently the mirrors dont adjust at all so I will change the fuse first. I also have had problems with one seat drivers RHD not working at all. Upon changing the fuse it works but fuse blows again. Could be an obstruction in harness or seat control ECU located under the seat. A big unit with a single 25 pin or so connector. Seat needs to come out :4 allen keys!

·
Registered
130 Posts
I have this problem with the driver's side mirror only. It's not a huge deal, but definitely annoying because the mirror visibly bobbles when I hit a bump or something. I am 95% sure it's not related to the folding/retracting mechanism, since I use that quite regularly and the bobbling happens pretty much all the time.

I would also be curious about a tightening procedure.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Before you break something..................

D-Squared:

Before you do damage that you'll regret, consider giving Eddie Rodriguez a call (562-650-1732). He is our local (Southern California) Independent F/M Tech. He is building his business and has been MORE than helpful to many on this Forum with these type questions. Too bad you live so far away from his business!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hello all
I am reviving this topic rather than create a new one as so much has already been covered here.

The driver's side (left) side view mirror on my late 2005 4200 coupé is slightly loose. It doesn't shake or wobble when driving along but I can slightly move the outer part (the bulbous shell containing the actual mirror) in a fore and aft direction - no movement up and down, and no movement of the mirror base. In other words I can move it slightly in the same direction as it moves when you press the retract button.

I have tried retracting it in and out as previously suggested but that achieved nothing. When retracted there is still the same amount of free movement.

There are two little screws on the underside of the shell - they were tight and tightening them slightly further made no difference.

The base is rock solid. The passenger's (right) side has no play at all.

Has anybody else had the same problem please? Did it get worse? How was it solved?
Many thanks
Tony

·
Registered
20 Posts
Just in case anyone is following this...
Today I got round to taking another look at my wobbly mirror. I don't know why I hadn't noticed them before, but in addition to the two screws on the underside of the shell this time I spotted there were also 3 "torx" screws beneath the fixed base of the mirror. The one nearest the door being a bit hard to get at without risking scratching the paint I thought I'd try tightening the other two. Bingo ! Quite hard to tighten, but having done so absolutely no more wobble !
Cheers
Tony

1 - 9 of 9 Posts