Maserati Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My right paddle is getting loose, any tips on how to tighten it?

I think I've seen a thread about that before but couldn't find it. Is it a DIY thing?

·
Registered
26 Posts
paddles

I had that on my 2004 4200. The garage did it very quickly and they were as good as new but I think they had to take the steering wheel surround off.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I had that on my 2004 4200. The garage did it very quickly and they were as good as new but I think they had to take the steering wheel surround off.
This is correct you have to remove the airbag and then remove the steering wheel to gain access to the paddle screws. While you are there I would suggest putting a touch of loctite on the very small allen screws that hold the paddles in. If you are working with the airbag system be sure to disconnect the battery.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you guys!

Bugattitech, with the battery switched off the airbag won't deploy? That kinda of scares me!

Do I need any special tools?

·
Registered
228 Posts
Another Resource for you..............

Niteroi:

You might want to consider giving our local (Southern California) Independent FM Technician Eddie Rodriguez a call (562-650-1732). He is an absolute "genius" with Maseratis and Ferraris and is VERY HELPFUL to members of ML. Good luck on those paddles.

·
Registered
10 Posts
If you do this yourself wait at least 1/2 an hour after you disconect the battery, the air bags can still go off even if the battery is disconected.
On re fitting turn the engine on by having the window open and doing it at arms length.
An air bag can kill if your head is too close to it.
Please take every precaution.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Replacement paddles?

At one point there was some discussion about group buy on carbon fiber paddles. Is this going ahead? I always wanted to replace the paddles with a longer version as found on Ferraris but I understand they are not compatible with Maserati so need another source!

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If you do this yourself wait at least 1/2 an hour after you disconect the battery, the air bags can still go off even if the battery is disconected.
On re fitting turn the engine on by having the window open and doing it at arms length.
An air bag can kill if your head is too close to it.
Please take every precaution.
WHAT?!?!? No way I'm doing it!

I'll be in Carson this weekend, I think I'm going to give Eddie a call. Is he a member here?

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just called Eddie and schedule it for this weekend. I don't want to mess with airbags.

·
Registered
431 Posts
loose paddles/air bag

Hey Niteroi- I thought you were a dude! Where is the American Balsy frontier spirit?

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hahahaha!! I'm brazilian!:D

·
Registered
431 Posts
loose paddles

That may be so but most people on boards such as these tend to have the American balsy frontier spirit-risk taker type A personality. Otherwise why would they buy such a car and why do they attempt to take apart a $100k car in order to fix it?

OK where is your South American/Magellan/Da Gama/coloumbus spirit of I aint afraid of shit spirit?

obrigado! Tell the girls in Rio that I'm on my way!

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I was actually on my to doing it. It doesn't seem to be a big deal anyway, but I was a little worried about the airbag issue.

I did install my headlight bulbs, DBW, ECU and air filter, and I think I'll be doing a lot more in the future, but I'd look pretty stupid if the airbg blew up on my face...

Regarding the girls in Rio, they're looking forward to meeting you. They're waiting for you in Copacabana at Help nightclub.:D

·
Registered
431 Posts
loose morals leads to lose molars!

Last time I took advice from a guy in Atlantic City for a nice nightclub to meet pretty girls he sent me to a place called Ramrods in Greenwich Village. As soon as I entered it looked exactly like the Blue Oyster bar from Police Academy films. All men biker types with big Mexican moustaches. I did a U turn and fled!

I should have worked out what type of place it was going to be from the name.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
"Help" is a nightclub with tons of real girls. But you have to pay for them...;)

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Service in Santa Barbara

I couldn't go to Eddie in Carson as I planned, so by luck I found out a couple days ago a local independent shop that works with lots of very high end exotics. They tightened my paddles for $67 (1/2 h service).

The shop is very impressive, some great classic Ferraris, Maseratis, Jags and etc.. The owner, Julian, is a very nice guy.

I really recomend them if your are in the Santa Barbara area.

Winning Makes - 805-963-3114. www.winningmakes.com

ShaunRai is going to drop his Coupe off with them next week for annual service, let's see what he'll say.

·
Registered
624 Posts
I couldn't go to Eddie in Carson as I planned, so by luck I found out a couple days ago a local independent shop that works with lots of very high end exotics. They tightened my paddles for $67 (1/2 h service).

The shop is very impressive, some great classic Ferraris, Maseratis, Jags and etc.. The owner, Julian, is a very nice guy.

I really recomend them if your are in the Santa Barbara area.

Winning Makes - 805-963-3114. www.winningmakes.com

ShaunRai is going to drop his Coupe off with them next week for annual service, let's see what he'll say.
*Good move Nite, screw all that bravado BS, if you have a face that looks like it's just been flattened with a frying pan (aka airbag or otherwise) then "Help" might be your only alternative for a naughty lady! Glad you got it handled and thx for sharing the fix costs associated. Just seems allot smarter when in doubt to let the pros do what they're paid to do.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
BTW, the work was done without taking the steering wheel off.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Replacement??

Niteroi:

Do you know if the steering wheel would have to come off to REPLACE the paddles?? (I've been looking at those looong carbon fiber paddles made for our Maseratis).

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Niteroi:

Do you know if the steering wheel would have to come off to REPLACE the paddles?? (I've been looking at those looong carbon fiber paddles made for our Maseratis).
Good question. I don't know, but I'd guess you can to the job without taking the wheel off. They used loctite on all screws, so if they could fit their tools and/or fingers in there I'd think you could get those paddles in/out.

I didn't hang around while they were doing the job.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts