Maserati Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone my name is Tim, I am currently looking at purchasing a 03-04 Coupe GT. I am curious though, as to maintenance costs, and what has gone wrong. I am looking into other cars such as the Lotus Elise/Exige, or an older 911. Any help and honesty in what I need to look for in the Maserati would be greatly appreciated. Thanks all.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Hey thanks, I looked, but obviously not well enough. Although it still leaves me with the question of how often does this stuff go wrong? How much does it cost to replace the F1 pump? F1 sensor? stuff like that. Thank you.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hello Tim,

F1 sensor is not that common although i ve read it should be replaced once a year as a precaution, i wouldnt personally. Replace when required. Mine was replaced at 50km.
F1 pump i would expect them to last 50-60K km but anyone that has changed one earlier can chip in and comment. Mine hasnt had one but another one i was looking at with similar KM had.
The only weak point i would be concerned is the clutch. They seem to need replacement beetween 15-20K miles depending on drive style. My car has 67K km and has had two clutches one at 25 and one at 50. Every other clutch you need to change a few other bits as well.

Next time i am in the office during the weekend i will scan all the service history and send it to you.

I hope this have been of some help.

Regards,

Marios

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Marios, I would greatly appreciate a scan of those when you can. This next series of questions is really going to show my lack of knowledge of Maserati at the moment, but what is the F1 sensor? F1 pump? and how much does the clutch service turn out costing?

·
Vendor
4,728 Posts
Tim, welcome to the forum.

I do think that the 4200 and Gransport are reliable, quality cars. There are a few things that *can* go wrong but honestly I don't think that we're talking about anything serious. Certainly there are not a host of defects or known bugs with the car that are serious. With that said you should budget a bit more for maintenance costs as a precaution because some owners have had a few of these problems such as the F1 pump. You will go through clutches sooner that I'm sure you'll want but hey some cars eat them much faster than the Maserati. It's a balance between a supercar and a daily commuter. It really can do both and has the attitude of both. If that sounds like something you can handle... then welcome to Maserati!

Best Regards

·
Registered
10 Posts
This forum is truly outstanding - a fantastic resource for those of us who hope to 'join the club'.

I am looking (from afar at the moment) at a 2004 Coupe CC in Seattle which appears to be priced quite reasonably. The Dealer appears to be quite reasonable too. I hope to eventually make a trip down to take a closer look. I have found the Pre-Purchase List an excellent resource which I plan to use during my visit.

I also noted that some suggested asking around here for vehicles for sale... anyone?

·
Super Moderator
4,261 Posts
AnAlbumCovr: best to open a new thread with the details of exactly what you're looking for :)

Best of luck in your future purchase!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the reply formuladynamics. I know about the clutch eating, about how much have you guys paid to have that replaced when its time? I guess my main question at this time is how much does a simple oil change cost? lol. I've mentioned it elsewhere, but as a cop, we don't make all too much extra for a $700 oil change and service lol. Thanks again everyone!

·
Registered
236 Posts
Hi Tim and welcome. You mentioned that you were looking at a Coupe GT, which is the stick shift version as opposed to the cambiocorsa (CC) which has the paddles. It is the CC version which has all of the F1 pump issues, the GT is a plain old fashioned clutch pedal, with no real issues. As a result you should get significantly improved clutch life (if it is not abused) and relatively few maintenance issues. I ran an '03 GT for 2 years as a daily driver and was astonished at how reliable it was, far better than either of my two previous BMW M cars. It did a 3000 mile round trip tour round France one summer and never missed a beat. Many will say that the key to reliability with these cars is to use them and not let them sit. That was certainly my experience.

They are unlike any other car I have owned and you will feel like it is an occasion every time you get in, which it is! Buy carefully having done your homework and you should be fine. Best of luck.

Regards

Carl

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I am fairly skilled when it comes to mechanics, making an oil change a piece of cake :) lol

Colossus thanks for chiming in, especially since I am also looking at an M5 if I choose to go for something a little bigger body wise.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Hello everyone my name is Tim, I am currently looking at purchasing a 03-04 Coupe GT. I am curious though, as to maintenance costs, and what has gone wrong. I am looking into other cars such as the Lotus Elise/Exige, or an older 911. Any help and honesty in what I need to look for in the Maserati would be greatly appreciated. Thanks all.
Tim,

I sold my Lotus Exige last summer and have been looking for a Maserati Gransport to replace it. If you have any questions about owning a Lotus, don't hesitate to ask.

Here is a photo of my old Exige:

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Sports car Lotus exige

·
Registered
286 Posts
Tim,

I sold my Lotus Exige last summer and have been looking for a Maserati Gransport to replace it. If you have any questions about owning a Lotus, don't hesitate to ask.

Here is a photo of my old Exige:

View attachment 3411
I am a Tim as well so i will take you up on the lotus ?'s how did you like the car?
why did you sell it. thanks in advance.:D

·
Registered
217 Posts
I am a Tim as well so i will take you up on the lotus ?'s how did you like the car?
why did you sell it. thanks in advance.:D
Okay. You're in luck. There is a special on Tim's today :D

I bought my Lotus Exige in July of 2006. It was the first year that they imported the Exige to the US and it is basically the same as an Elise except there are some options (like sport package) that are standard and, the biggest difference which is that the entire body is hand-laid fiberglass. The big difference there is the aerodynamics of the car (100lbs of downforce at 100mph). It makes an already great handling car even better on the track.

These cars are a blast to drive. A grown-up go kart on rails is the best way to describe it. You point the car and it goes in that direction. It's incredibly balanced and responsive. So, when I purchased the car, I had every intention of enjoying it on the track and the occasional romp through the Santa Monica mountains. But, I just couldn't carve out enough time to take it to the track. And, because it has limited (read none) utility (it has no trunk to speak of, ingress and egress is amusing at best, it's marginally comfortable on long drives, etc.) it sat in my garage most of the time. When I sold it, I had something like 3K miles on it so it was definitely garage royalty.

For me personally, I need some back seats so that I can take the kids out on drives and I need a trunk so I can bring stuff to work or the golf course on those days I feel like driving the fun car to my destination. The Lotus is more like a motorcycle. You drive it for the fun of driving it. It really doesn't have enough utility to drive it to go somewhere.

So, basically, the Lotus is a great car. I loved every minute of it when I got the chance to drive it. That said, there were one or two things that I didn't like about the car itself. First, the Lotus has a Toyota 1.8L 4-cycl engine. It has plenty of horse power (195 bhp) for the weight (<2000 lbs) but it could use more power. The 2007 and 2008 exiges added various hp improvements like supercharger, intercooler, ECU improvements, etc. which I think makes the Lotus a much better car. Also, the Toyota lump is a twin-cam and the ECU was programmed so that the 2nd CAM didn't kick-in until pretty high revs (~above 6K). I think the later models had ECU improvements which smoothed out this CAM transition. The 2006 drove like a turbo in some ways (i.e. lag until the 2nd cam kicked-in). Also, it's tough to get real Italian sound out of a Japanese 4-banger. I listed to all sorts of different exhaust options and they all sounded like a motorcycle, very high pitched. One of my favorite things about the Gransport is the sound of the exhaust.

Anyways, I'm sure there is more but this is the jist of why I sold the Lotus. PM me if you have any other questions.

Cheers.

·
Vendor
4,728 Posts
The oil change is really a piece of cake, we well a complete kit with all the factory pieces so you can do it yourself at home and save a few bucks. This site is filled with people that will help make sure you get the job done right. The only thing you really need to worry about that may be "different" is to make sure that the amount of oil in your Maserati is correct. You don't want too much and you definitely don't want to be short. It's a dry sump setup and can cause a bit of confusion now and then.

Again, welcome to the site and don't be afraid to jump in. The Maserati will treat you right.

Best Regards,
-- Jeff

1 - 17 of 17 Posts