Maserati Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just lost the engine on my 2003 Porsche Boxster S after 125K miles. Sad, but now I'm in love with another -- the hot Italian :)

I'm looking for advice from the forum on a couple of things. The car will be a daily driver, 100 mi daily, mostly highway. I drive my vehicles forever, so I'm not worried about resale ever... just want (relative) reliability. Hate nickel and dimeing and really hate being on the side of the road awaiting tow truck. To that end, I think I'm pretty much stuck on the manual transmission. Color is irrelevant, though, I'm probably not inclined to do yellow, it does still look hot on these cars. I've always had black/black, but am willing to change for the hot Italian.

So, the questions are really about a couple of things:
1) How many miles can I expect out of it -- if I get a higher mileage car, it is ok, since I'm driving highway miles and don't care about resale?
2) What other things do I need to worry about given I put 20K miles/year on the car and I need to finance it over about 4 years.

A couple of cars I've seen are:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2003-MASERATI-SPYDER-GT-4-2L-V8-6-SPEED-TUBI-STYLE-CD-/200471519954?cmd=ViewItem&pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item2ead08a2d2#ht_34747wt_1154
which has ~70K miles and seems pricey for that. Will it last me to 150K? I drove it - runs perfectly. most of my issues are strictly cosmetic. Exhaust is nice and throaty.

This one is also intriguing: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2002-MASERATI-GT-SPYDER-/220603142887?cmd=ViewItem&pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item335cf8d2e7#ht_500wt_1169
I have a few questions into this guy. He has no history on Ebay, though.

Any help/advice is much appreciated.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Look for newer year. 02 the first year of this model. Prices are down and you might be surprised what an 05 will sell for. Definitely stay with manual too!! Just my opinion.

·
Registered
581 Posts
There were a lot of improvements to the car from 2002 to 2003 so I would stic with 2003 or later model.

The Spyder enjoys a 20 percent stiffer chassis than before, courtesy of “structural foam” (glue) in critical areas, along with some old-fashioned gussets and braces in the door sills that reduce cowl shake to a more tolerable level.

Both cars get quicker steering, stiffer anti-roll bars, stickier tires and new software programming for the active suspension system. The old steering rack slid 52 mm for each turn of the steering wheel, but the new one moves 60 mm, so steering is quicker than before.

Also new is the Maserati Stability Program, co-developed with Bosch, which gives the car stability control. The MSP works along with the “Skyhook” active suspension system and anti-lock brakes to tolerate and compensate for all manners of foolishness with the car, while keeping it pointed straight and providing a comfortable ride.

The Cambiocorsa computer-shifted manual transmission is upgraded so that it can now bang off shifts in as little as 150 milliseconds, compared with a full half-second before.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
PPI near Hazlet New Jersey?

Have been thinking about this one if I can get right price. But need a recommendation for a place to have it taken for a Pre Purchase Inspection before I get on a plane anywhere. Any suggestions? Anyone know anything about this car?

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail.jsp?tracktype=usedcc&csDlId=&csDgId=&listingId=39494710&listingRecNum=20&criteria=sf1Dir=DESC&alMdId=22185&mkId=20072&stkTyp=U&mdId=22185&rd=100000&crSrtFlds=stkTypId-feedSegId-mkId-mdId&zc=77478&rn=0&PMmt=1-1-0&stkTypId=28881&sf2Dir=ASC&sf1Nm=price&sf2Nm=miles&alMkId=20072&rpp=50&feedSegId=28705&aff=national

·
5,887 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts