Maserati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I get increasingly frustrated with the audio shop that has been working on my '02 Coupe w/NAV stereo upgrade, I am asking for anyone who has experienced a successful upgrade to provide detail into what was done. (Not just "had an amp and sub put in") Where was the amp placed in the signal path for one, before or after the internal amp?

This was the shop recommended by the FM dealer, BTW.

Originally the installer used peripheral line output convertors from the head unit to a four channel amp. After no less than 3 attempts, he was unable to get the noise out of the signal (the whine that pitches up with RPM).

He is now telling me that the signal from the Headunit to the amplifier is a digital signal, and the CANBUS is the source of the noise he was unable to filter. So he thinks he needs to take the amplified signal out of the internal amp and use a signal summing and EQ flattening piece like the JL Cleansweep or new Alpine PXE-H650 into the new external amp.

I've lost my confidence in this guy's expertise, but am already somewhat heavily invested in him, so it would be preferable not to just walk away and get another opinion.

Even with one these sound processor units, I'm still concerned about the quality of the sound out of the head unit (junk in/junk out), not to mention the terrible radio reception...

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
As I get increasingly frustrated with the audio shop that has been working on my '02 Coupe w/NAV stereo upgrade, I am asking for anyone who has experienced a successful upgrade to provide detail into what was done. (Not just "had an amp and sub put in") Where was the amp placed in the signal path for one, before or after the internal amp?

Originally the installer used peripheral line output convertors from the head unit to a four channel amp. After no less than 3 attempts, he was unable to get the noise out of the signal (the whine that pitches up with RPM).

He is now telling me that the signal from the Headunit to the amplifier is a digital signal, and the CANBUS is the source of the noise he was unable to filter. So he thinks he needs to take the amplified signal out of the internal amp and use a signal summing and EQ flattening piece like the JL Cleansweep or new Alpine PXE-H650 into the new external amp.

I've lost my confidence in this guy's expertise, but am already somewhat heavily invested in him, so it would be preferable not to just walk away and get another opinion.

Even with one these sound processor units, I'm still concerned about the quality of the sound out of the head unit (junk in/junk out), not to mention the terrible radio reception...
:mad: Sorry.. Search my posts on this subject.... I ended up building a one-off custom AUX box for my Sirius receiver... (it actually rocks with no noise). The NIT (radio unit) is totally custom for the Masers (and it SUCKS!)... When people tell me their audio guy knows how to do it....I laugh... Then feel bad for them.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So you are just going with the factory amplification? I may just try to get a satellite or HD radio tuner in there and leave well enough alone as well. I'm thinking a GS may be in my future within the next year anyway after the 08's are out.

·
Registered
177 Posts
contrary to what buzz says- it is possible

my installer was able to use the stock head unit and through some trickery and magic i now have xm radio, xm weather, xm stocks, xm traffic, a garmin gps that uses the stock screen, a back-up camera using the stock screen, ipod adapter, dvd player, focal amplifiers and all focal speakers, bluetooth phone.
the total cost for everything including materials and labor was about $6500.
it is totally stealth and one cannot tell that there are any aftermarket electronics. some techs from the local ferrari/maser dealership were AMAZED.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Anything is possible!

Again though, not very helpful to anyone unless you can be more specific about some of the things the installer did to achieve this...

Is your head unit still the terrestrial radio and CD source, or has it been completely replaced save for the screen?

If so, are the audio buttons, volume knob, etc. still functional?...

·
Registered
177 Posts
i cannot be more helpful

that is why i pay my installer.
so i drop off the car- they do the work- i pay and pick it up and it works flawlessly. and if i have any problems- they fix them.

no?
you are welcome to contact my installer if you like and get a quote for what you would like to have done. i was just stating that it is certainly not impossible or as difficult as everyone deems it to be.

my head unit is still my terrestrial source, my cd plsyer, my cd changer and all buttons are functional.
it essentially acts as a "pre-amp" with outher sources being fed to it via a "hub"

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
that is why i pay my installer.
so i drop off the car- they do the work- i pay and pick it up and it works flawlessly. and if i have any problems- they fix them.

no?
you are welcome to contact my installer if you like and get a quote for what you would like to have done. i was just stating that it is certainly not impossible or as difficult as everyone deems it to be.

my head unit is still my terrestrial source, my cd plsyer, my cd changer and all buttons are functional.
it essentially acts as a "pre-amp" with outher sources being fed to it via a "hub"
OK... Tell me how the title/artist of your satellite radio is seamlessly displayed across your display while you change channels from your OEM controls that also control your aftermarket NAV...... B effin' shit dude! You wanna pay all that money for a effin gerry rigged cluster... Go ahead. You still haven't posted pics of your "seamless" installation. I'm callin' you out D... Put up or shut up! If you show us hidden switches and "remotes" that are controlled by non OEM dash controls.... You have a crap installation. PERIOD. No one wants that crap in their 100k car.

"everyone"

·
Registered
177 Posts
you have got to learn to relax

buzz- you take this stuff WAY too seriously.
first of all- i had no idea you speak for everyone- was there a vote to this effect? i did not think so.

all i keep hearing about is your "rigged" aux connection for sirirus.

I am merely suggesting that there are other alternatives that may give people options they can live with given a less then ideal system supplied as oem.

so- take a deep breath, shut the f--k up for a moment, take a sedative, and understand the point of what i am suggesting to the person who posted this question.

in terms of your questions:

in terms of the nav- it displays on the screen and speaks through the stereo
though it is controlled by a remote since the stock screen is not touch screen.

my xm is integrated through the garmin- so it will not stream when the garmin screen is not on- though the sound can be heard reagardless of the screen selected.

i will get to posting pics as soon as i have the time to do so. my car is in the shop getting lowered anyway. i really do not give a sh-t if you believe me or not- why should i care (clearly you care WAY too much) anyway- i am merely tired of your endless postings on how it is IMPOSSIBLE to do these things and how someday you will creat the holy grail of interfaces.
While "everyone" continues to await your glorious creation holding their breaths- I will continue to offer another point of view.

i am still happy to provide my installer's information to anyone who wants it to do what they would like to do with it- to everyone excepot buzz who is building a new "total" system in his basement. and buzz- when your system makes the oem screen a touch screen with full integrated features - i will buy one as well if you will sell it to me. until then- i am quite content with my interim solution rather than sitting in the basement brooding about how the italian magnelli interface is so horrible and impossible to work with .

also, your assessment as to speaking for the whole as to what denotes a "crap" installation is hilarious. thank you for making me laugh.

good night and have a nice memorial day weekend.

·
Registered
177 Posts
sorry to detour

your thread cardiff-
i just had to speak my mind
seriously- let me know if i can provide you any other information-
i will try to help you find a solution as best i can
it may not be the "perfect" solution (read Buzz's solution) but it should make you happier.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Dipakp
To keep this simple, and to defuse the whole you and Buzz thing, can you just simply post the name and contact info for your installer in this thread, so we can all benefit?
Thanks
Mike

·
Registered
202 Posts
WWWWWWWOOOOOOOWWWWWW!!!!!!!

Now THIS is my kind of post man. but i am staying out of this one, i think thing are to HOT!!!

i am usually the guy that writes the long "bible like" post but i have met my maker today:D :D :D .

i on the other had don't care if it is true or not. i think you are truly trying to help. so, i as many of us are very interested in getting some info so we can do the same with our cars.

can you post some contact info for the shop so we can call them and see if he can do the same for us?

i hope you are in the US and preferably in the west coast. i don't mind shipping the car to get this done.

well keep preaching the gospel dipakp...

cheers,

willie

·
Registered
177 Posts
agreed

The installer is Hurley's auto audio. The owner is gary- a stand up no bulls--t guy. Their number is 7037908744. I hope this helps anyone who is looking to improve upon a less than perfect a/v system in a wonderful car.
Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

·
Registered
202 Posts
The installer is Hurley's auto audio. The owner is gary- a stand up no bulls--t guy. Their number is 7037908744. I hope this helps anyone who is looking to improve upon a less than perfect a/v system in a wonderful car.
Let me know if I can be of further assistance.
Thanks man... calling as i write:)

·
Registered
177 Posts
my pleasure willie

I am sincerely trying to help make a less than ideal system more ideal-not perfect- just better and maybe tolerable. I hope they can help you. I am in washington, dc. I can let you know more specifics on exact functionality if you like. Let me know if I can help with hurleys- they are great doing all the oem stuff for brand new astons, ferrari's, porsche's, jaguar, rover, bentley in the area.good luck and let me know how it goes.

·
Registered
202 Posts
O.K. just call, and my baby is going to go to Virginia:)

i am trying to get more info so i can, maybe have it done in L.A. i would mis my babe if i have to ship it, but to do what they say they can do is well worth it.

I'll keep you all posted, now i have to get back to work so i can pay for this MOD.:D

-willie

p.s. thanks again dipakp

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yikes

I feel a little bad for stoking the flames on this one.

Not taking sides on this one either, but I have to agree in principal with some of the things Buzz said. The key word in my original post was I was asking for DETAIL. Few of us here are going to build our own system, but some level of additional detail to pass onto our installers was the request, and a very reasonable one IMHO. I live in Chicago, it seems pretty silly to ship a car 1000 miles to have stereo work done. It makes even less sense for anyone on the west coast.

The source of frustration for guys like Buzz and I (and many others here I am sure) is there have been multiple threads on systems with no detail at all on how things were done, or with what products.

Just look on your receipt dipak, and help us out where you can. For example, what brand of "hub" was used: JL Clean Sweep, Alpine VehicleHub, Rockford Fosgate? I can't imagine you installer is expecting a slew of Maserati's being shipped to his door. This thread has almost 200 reads, do we all need to ring his phone off the hook?

·
Registered
742 Posts
This may be too simple but.....

I agree with everyone that the sound system in our coupes leaves a lot to be desired. I too looked into a few audio options... After much deliberation I spoke with a quality shop that told me to take it in steps and stop when you are happy.

I began by replacing the $10.00 paper door speakers with $200.00 speakers...... The sound went from shitty to WOW, this sounds 10 times better... All for $200.00 bucks. Next step will be replacing all the rear speakers.... I am sure that will provide cleaner sound overall.

While I would love some bottom end, and a better AMP the price and the logistics start to jack up substantially.

My car does not thump at all, but the difference between the stock speakers and the ones I bought is night and day. Way worth the $200.00....

The door speakers a very easy to install. Just snap off the grill and unscrew the speaker. Go listen to a few, buy a quality new set ( just make sure they are not too deep or they will not fit in your door)... Then plug and play...

Again this may be not enough of a stereo upgrade for you, but its sooo much better than stock with no hassel, aggervation, time or cost....

Good luck.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I just did an upgrade. I used these components:

Eclipse AVN7000 (Main Unit)
Eclipse HDR105 (HD Radio interface)
Sirius SIR-ECL1 (Satelite Radio Interface)
Eclipse CH3083 (8 Disk Changer)

I have had it installed for almost 24 hours...ha! It has some issues that I will resolve.
1) There is a small motor whistle. It is very slight and only at decent RPMs (4000+) We are looking into resolutions. I will keep you updated on that via this thread.
2) The new unit was slightly deeper than the original unit. The installer compensated with a generic adapter plate but I may try to have a piece of Carbon Fiber made with better aesthetic results
3) When the display unfolds itself the AC controls are blocked but that is easily remedied by having the display retract.

I did this upgrade for the gadgets not necessary the sound so I will do speakers later. (Real Navigation, Satelite Radio, HD Radio, MP3 CD, ect..)

I also like that I can add Bluetooth if I decide to and a rearview camera (although the options for rear mount were gloomy).

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
You have a GS then fubar with the DIN-sized headunit, and replacement options are much more straightforward. The coupe owners (like myself) can't just swap in a new headunit with our integrated NAV screen in the dash.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts