Maserati Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone out there looking to sell any or all of the carbon fiber trim pieces for a Coupe??

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
I have been also looking for a while for CF parts for my 02 Spyder, and in the meantime, decided to try to customize myself the parts using the CF film from Stickercity.com. See pics.
Looks pretty bad ass dude! Awesome job!

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hmm...

I was about decided on overlaying a single layer of real CF cloth and urethaning the stock pieces. These stickers would obviously be much easier, but I can't imagine they have much depth. Can you comment honestly on how it looks in person in comparison to real carbon fiber? I also read that those CF sticker films don't stretch at all and are difficult when not applying to a perfectly flat area, what was your experience?

·
Registered
39 Posts
The look of the sticker is definitely not the same as the original CF look, but it tricks many people who don't know much about CF. It is correct that the sticker is difficult to place on not flat surfaces, but I definitely had some help from someone who is an expert in placing the 3M films, and he was able to help me with the job.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think I am going to go the real CF overlay route, I'll take some pictures for comparison if/when I ever get around to starting it. I'm a bit concerned about the added dimension of the overlay. Having taken these pieces on an off, do you think a slightly larger dimension in any of them will cause me problems? Any tips on separating the center pieces from the buttons/circuit board underneath them?

I guess another question is how the factory CF trim pieces are made, I wouldn't be surprised if they are the standard pieces with an overlay as well.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I actually bought a sheet of real carbon fiber thinking i was going to cover the part myself.

5 months later the sheet is still in my trunk... it works well as a protective cover for the trunk carper :)

-Willie

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I actually bought a sheet of real carbon fiber thinking i was going to cover the part myself.

5 months later the sheet is still in my trunk... it works well as a protective cover for the trunk carper :)

-Willie
I have a few hundred dollars of CF stuff that's been sitting in my basement for months as well.

The original impetus for me is that I'm considering replacing the factory NIT/NAV screen with an aftermarket setup and would need a custom fabricated piece to house the new screen. I figured carbon fiber would be a nice addition, and then I wouldn't need to worry about matching the factory black plastic finish. Even if I sucked it up and bought the leonardo pieces, the CF finish probably wouldn't match up with the custom piece.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts