Maserati Forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Eastport,

I have some pics in this thread: 2016 GT Convertible w/ Diono Car Seats

I think you nailed the biggest issue I found when looking for a convertible GT. So many of the earlier years, 2008s/2009s had cracked/chipped leather all over. I assume just by being in the sun.

That and wanting a warranty helped push me to a 2016 with low miles. The warranty already saved me $3k. Buying this car used, even with an inspection, can still cost quite a bit.

I intend to keep up with the leather conditioner and try to park in shade when possible. Otherwise it's out for usually daily short trips, and stored in the garage, so it doesn't get too much sun.

The trunk doesn't tend to be much of a problem as the back seats are seldom used so I usually store stuff between the small trunk and back seats. Including a family of 4, I have been able to fit an entire kid's Balance Bike in the back, with the handlebars taken a part.

I have a '11 'vert and I love it! Never had a convertible before this and I can honestly say I didn't know what I was missing. The symphony you hear when you open her up with the top down is priceless!!
- Absolutely!!!! Even better when you find the sport and manual mode.

·
Premium Member
160 Posts
One thing that has me a little confused is if you could still get the older 2012 bumper/seats and earlier well into 2015? I saw a couple cars that were 2015 models that had the old style bumper. I thought the dealers were just claiming they were newer than they were, but when I look at the Carfax and the data plate in the photos sure enough they are 2015 models. I just assumed the "Sport" model was the name they switched to by default after 2013. I even saw a 2013 Sport bumper with the old style seats. Am I wrong?
In 2014, when I bought my first Granturismo Sport at this time the base model was the Granturismo S, and the S had the "old style" front bumper. Therefor I dare say it is correct that in 2015 three different front bumpers where produced, the S, the Sport and the MC front bumper. And the S had also the "older" seats...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Have you guys had luck with buying long distance? I've found a car or two that fit what I'm looking for, but they are halfway across the country. I know some places will ship a car, but I actually have two cars I'm looking to trade-in. Not sure how that would work long distance.

·
Registered
146 Posts
You kind of take a gamble initially...

Find a quality Maserati shop local to the car who can do an inspection, which you'll most likely pay for. Based on that, you'll either book a 1 way ticket and drive the car home, or pay $1200ish to ship it across country.

·
Registered
2013 GTC MC
312 Posts
I've always had convertibles and the choice was only a Gran Cabrio for me. Never considered the coupe.

The trunk is a non-issue for me since I don't carry a lot of stuff for my joy rides in this weekend car.

The sound from the exhaust when the top is down cannot be experienced with the coupe even with the windows open.

·
Registered
412 Posts
I have a 14 GT sport vert. I love the car and had it since brand new. It's my second vert (e36 m series) but I've always had sports cars. Mustang, 350z, 911tt, s2000... The gt is the most complete (and reliable) car ever.

There's very little like it on the road. Only other 4 seat convertible are Bentley and MB s class vert. Neither one sound or look anywhere close.

The coupe GT are great too, but IMO there are a lot more options and competition for them than the convertible. Kinda like 2 cars in one really. There's a lot of room in the rear seat area.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
How do you guys feel about cars that have had modifications done to them? I'm looking at a car that someone installed a backup camera in. Seems like you'd have to install a module behind the dash for the head unit and run an A/V all the way to the back of the car (seats removed, somehow the wire gets to the outside of the car). Would that scare you away? Possibly cutting into the wiring harness and maybe even drilling a hole in the trunk seem like things to walk away from. Feedback?

·
Registered
146 Posts
How do you guys feel about cars that have had modifications done to them? I'm looking at a car that someone installed a backup camera in. Seems like you'd have to install a module behind the dash for the head unit and run an A/V all the way to the back of the car (seats removed, somehow the wire gets to the outside of the car). Would that scare you away? Possibly cutting into the wiring harness and maybe even drilling a hole in the trunk seem like things to walk away from. Feedback?
Pretty normal for cars, especially in the GT that sits so low and has low front/rear visibility.

I actually had both a rear and front camera installed in mine, about $1800.

I use the front camera every time I park to get as far away from everyone else as possible.

·
Registered
4 Posts
zman: Have you found a GT yet?
With re-opening here in Maryland, I've resumed my search this month. Test drove a '13 today, and despite only 20k miles, the interior was in rough shape and lots of scratches on the finish--not the GT for me. It was relatively close (50 mi), not much on the market in my area. Trading emails with sellers for 3 other cars. Still centering my search on 2014-16. Driving the GT was a blast today--the torque accelerating off the interstate ramp was a hoot. Drove the same route in my 2018 Audi A5 Cabriolet to compare the "feel". Needless to say...........

Welcome advice on anything I should make a point of testing during the drives.
Steve

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Eastport,

Yes, I'm still on the hunt. Either the car is in perfect condition but on the other side of the country or it's got 15k miles and somehow looks like a dumpster fire on the inside. There doesn't seem to be a rhyme or reason to the sticky buttons. I've seen a car with 9k miles on it and it looks like someone took a blow torch to the buttons. I've seen an 80k mile car where the buttons look perfect. Wonder if it's the cleaner they used. I have decided I'm going for a convertible so that lessens my selection even further. I have a second sports car I'll be keeping that is a coupe so I'm looking for a different feeling than I already have. I guess I'll just keep saving up cash until the right one comes along.

I've probably ruled out the Aston Rapide as I finally got to check one out in person and was underwhelmed. It just felt cramped and uninspired. I could barely fit through the front door opening and the back seats were completely worthless.

·
Registered
2013 GranTurismo MC
119 Posts
I spent about 3 years hunting for the GT (maybe only the last 10-12 months being very serious), and finally got a 2013 GT MC. I never planned on getting the MC but i guess my patience has paid off.

For my research over the years, I'd HIGHLY recommend getting a 2013+ model. As for the confusion between facelifted bumpers and seats, if you're getting a coupe, then 2013+ are all (99%) facelifted with new bumpers and seats. If you're getting a convertible, then the facelift is around 2015/2016 models.

Good luck!

·
Registered
2018 Maserati Granturismo Sport Convertible
1,245 Posts
I spent about 3 years hunting for the GT (maybe only the last 10-12 months being very serious), and finally got a 2013 GT MC. I never planned on getting the MC but i guess my patience has paid off.

For my research over the years, I'd HIGHLY recommend getting a 2013+ model. As for the confusion between facelifted bumpers and seats, if you're getting a coupe, then 2013+ are all (99%) facelifted with new bumpers and seats. If you're getting a convertible, then the facelift is around 2015/2016 models.

Good luck!
That's actually not true. I had a previous '13 MC Grancabrio and it had the newer seats, front bumper, and LED DRL's.

·
Registered
2014 GT MC / 2018 Ghibli SQ4 Gransport
82 Posts
Don’t be afraid to look out of state! I’d still be looking if I only looked locally. I had my MC shipped from a dealer in CA to IL and used a good PPI company that wrote up a detailed report and did a test drive. Car was as described! And I paid bottom dollar for a clean, super low mile MC, similar ones with more mileage were selling for $7-10k more!!! Just get a good PPI.

·
Registered
2013 GTC MC
312 Posts
The 12 MC Sport Line has the MC bumper with old seats and 2 corner exhaust pipes. The 13 MC has the MC bumper, center exhaust, and new seats.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I’m selling my 2013 GT MC - 14k miles, showroom condition, impeccable records/service, white w/black interior. Extensive carbon fiber-all avail options interior and exterior, New tires. This car is jewelry! MSRP $146k, sales price $49k obo. Located in So Cal. 909 225-9971 Greg

·
Premium Member
738 Posts
I’m selling my 2013 GT MC - 14k miles, showroom condition, impeccable records/service, white w/black interior. Extensive carbon fiber-all avail options interior and exterior, New tires. This car is jewelry! MSRP $146k, sales price $49k obo. Located in So Cal. 909 225-9971 Greg
That is an outstanding price with that low of miles!!!! Can you put up some pictures?

·
Registered
380 Posts
Everytime I sit in mine it becomes an automotive ZEN moment.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts