Maserati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey all,

So I've narrowed down my next car to a 2013-15 GranTurismo or a 2010-12 Aston Martin Rapide. I went today and test drove a couple 2010 GranTurismos and came way with big highs and big lows. I love the looks and the sound. When I flipped in to sport mode and hit the gas I couldn't stop laughing with delight, that was memorable. The lows were the interior longevity and the sticky buttons. They just didn't seem to age well in the couple I looked at. I know the sticky buttons are not a new topic, but did Maserati every get that issue fixed? I hear some people say they have an 09 and have never had an issue.

• Did Maserati ever fix the sticky buttons? I assume climate has something to do with it.
  • I'm leaning towards a convertible, any cons there?
  • Any issues I should be looking for on a test drive?
  • This car will be a daily driver.
  • Were the 2013+ models more or less reliable than the previous years?
Also, any one have any experience with an Aston Martin Rapide? They seem to be very rare cars and there isn't one within 300 miles of me.

·
Premium Member
159 Posts
Maserati has taken another important step forward with the 2013+ generation. In my opinion, these cars are very convincing in terms of quality. Make sure you have the new sports seats (which only came in the 2013 generation in the "Sport") and the 4.7 litre engine. I also recommend the ZF automatic transmission.

In 2014 I bought a new Granturismo Sport as daily driver. I have fitted it very nicely with almost all available options. I drove the car over 90 thousand miles, had no problems at all and was able to resell the car very well. I know from the current owner that the car has many additional miles on the clock and still runs perfectly. In 2018 I bought a Granturismo Sport again, and I also have no problems with the car (apart from Apple Car Play).

I never had a problem with sticky buttons, I guess it's more of a problem from earlier cars. Since I'm a coupe fan, I can't comment on the convertible. The only thing I can say: A friend of mine owns one and he has no problems with the car either, he is very happy with it. A test drive is always a must. Because as it is in the used car market, there are always very bad offers (well camouflaged accident vehicles, very badly cared and poorly maintained cars), you must be able to rule out falling for such a deceptive packaging.

And forget about the Rapide. There are good reasons why these cars are so rare. A car with many "childhood illnesses" never worked out.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I recommend getting a cpo car with at least 2year extended warranty. I had suspension warning right after car delivered but still had warranty left so it was fixed(accelerator sensor)After about 10 months later, light came on again and I took it to dealer. I thought it was same thing but they told me it has leaking struts on both right side(front and rear).Dealer told me it wont cover with my cpo warranty and gave me $3600 estimate. So I said okay I’l take it and ask somewhere else. Got a call 3days later they told me found out its gonna cover under my cpo warranty so bring the car back. So I took it a while ago(about 26days ago)but I believe it’s gonna get fixed anyway I wish. I’m not sure since they told me my service advisor is no longer with them anymore before I was asking service manager keeping my car for 3 weeks without any info....wish its gonna get fixed.
Get the car with warranty, I recemmend.

·
Registered
138 Posts
  • Did Maserati ever fix the sticky buttons? I assume climate has something to do with it.
    • There's a lot of info on the forums about it. Seems to be an issue for a small # of folks and not a super crazy expensive fix. Pretty sure no design changes have been made to the buttons.
    • Folks who don't know about the roll cage will make fun of you, behind you, and show their hand flipping over in reference to the car.
    • Everything? There are a few posts here that have outlined various specific things to look out for. Just need to get someone who knows the car to look at it. Test every button!
    • Excellent daily driver. If you plan to put a lot of miles on the car, it's worth reading through this thread regarding alignment specs, you'll double the life out of your tires: Michelin PS4s Feedback?
    • Also be prepared for the car to sit at the shop for decent periods of time. Work takes a while, parts often are not in stock, and everything is expensive. On the other hand, this forum has a ton of DIY videos/tutorials on many things if you want to get your hands dirty.
There's a lot of mixed feelings about the CPO warranty. Maserati offers true extended warranties, but only for a few years after the previous warranty expires. There's a lot of talk about things not being covered by the CPO. But to put it in perspective, I just had my valve cover gaskets replaced under Maserati warranty and saved $3k+

I looked at a few older GTs and the interior was just not taken care of. Especially bad on a convertible that sits out in the sun all day. That's not an easy fix and persuaded me to look at another GT. The AZ sun is pretty brutal, we'll see how she holds up!

·
Premium Member
680 Posts
"I Am The Warranty" lol As you are doing I did extinsive reaearch. I too was set on the 2013+ model year in a sport model. The sticky buttons are prone to hot climates and both Ferrari and Maserati suffer from this however my 13 is perfect. If you are a DIY this car is perfect and you don't have to rely on a dealer to work on this car. All maintenance can easily be performed at home including brakes. New OEM parts can be sourced at a fraction of a cost than your local dealer. Their is a massive amount of used parts out there by some used exotic parts dealers. From what I found in my research is there are very few problems with the later models. I was impressed by the amount of people who daily drive and have no problems. Good luck on your search.. Lots of low mileage GTS out there. I could not be more happy with my choice.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Hey all,

So I've narrowed down my next car to a 2013-15 GranTurismo or a 2010-12 Aston Martin Rapide. I went today and test drove a couple 2010 GranTurismos and came way with big highs and big lows. I love the looks and the sound. When I flipped in to sport mode and hit the gas I couldn't stop laughing with delight, that was memorable. The lows were the interior longevity and the sticky buttons. They just didn't seem to age well in the couple I looked at. I know the sticky buttons are not a new topic, but did Maserati every get that issue fixed? I hear some people say they have an 09 and have never had an issue.

• Were the 2013+ models more or less reliable than the previous years?
Also, any one have any experience with an Aston Martin Rapide? They seem to be very rare cars and there isn't one within 300 miles of me.
I pulled the trigger on a 2014 GT a little over 2 years ago. You won't regret it! I'm probably a lil different than the norm around here as i could care less about warranty or resale. I wrench most of my own maintenance (which is a breeze on this car) and usually just hand my cars over to my kid brother when i finish enjoying them :cool: The 'funability' of this car alone is worth it...Good Luck and welcome

·
Registered
263 Posts
I have a 13 GCMC and these are very reliable cars with no sticky buttons in my example. The smiles per mile can't be beat except by a Miata... but that's a different ballgame.

Actually, I was looking at a Vantage convertible and the dealer tried steering me into a Rapide. Didn't work.

A grand touring convertible from Italy and a 4 door sedan from UK... not in the same market at all.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
One thing I was surprised to see was that the steering wheel and the air bag were separating at the top of the wheel. As in you could see down into the top of the column cover. It was that way on both the older 2010 models I looked at. Is that common for that age or were they out in the sun or something? Both cars had terrible sticky buttons.

·
Registered
2 Posts
zman112233: Thank you for starting this thread. I began hunting online for a 2014-16 convertible in January. I had planned on going out for test drives in March, but circumstances have put that phase of my search on hold. I've talked with a couple of independent repair shops in my area to get input on what to look for in pre-owned GTs and develop a relationship. Lots of great insights on this board, and I've been lurking for several months following threads on maintenance, problems and upgrades.

My first question for the community is how important/useful are the electronics upgrades to the touch screen and controls with the 2018 model? As long as I can get sat radio, I'm not sure how much I care about the improved functions I've read about, unless it goes deeper than BT music/nav streaming. Are there more significant improvements embedded in the 2018 version?

I've not seen many GTs for sale in my area, so expect a long distance purchase. Patient to find the "right" car, as I plan to keep it for years. Welcome any advice from experienced owners, and look forward to participating on this forum!

Thanks,
Steve

·
Registered
196 Posts
One thing I was surprised to see was that the steering wheel and the air bag were separating at the top of the wheel. As in you could see down into the top of the column cover. It was that way on both the older 2010 models I looked at. Is that common for that age or were they out in the sun or something? Both cars had terrible sticky buttons.
I think both of those issues are common and probably related to heat, so they would be hard to avoid. I have that gap between the steering wheel housing and the airbag.
I'm currently devising a way to fill it in but make it look stock/oem. Haven't had the time to work on it but probably will in the next month.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
zman112233: Thank you for starting this thread. I began hunting online for a 2014-16 convertible in January. I had planned on going out for test drives in March, but circumstances have put that phase of my search on hold. I've talked with a couple of independent repair shops in my area to get input on what to look for in pre-owned GTs and develop a relationship. Lots of great insights on this board, and I've been lurking for several months following threads on maintenance, problems and upgrades.

My first question for the community is how important/useful are the electronics upgrades to the touch screen and controls with the 2018 model? As long as I can get sat radio, I'm not sure how much I care about the improved functions I've read about, unless it goes deeper than BT music/nav streaming. Are there more significant improvements embedded in the 2018 version?

I've not seen many GTs for sale in my area, so expect a long distance purchase. Patient to find the "right" car, as I plan to keep it for years. Welcome any advice from experienced owners, and look forward to participating on this forum!

Thanks,
Steve
When I bought mine it was shipped from California to Lexington, KY. I flew up from Atlanta and drove it back home. (in a torrential rainstorm).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
One thing that has me a little confused is if you could still get the older 2012 bumper/seats and earlier well into 2015? I saw a couple cars that were 2015 models that had the old style bumper. I thought the dealers were just claiming they were newer than they were, but when I look at the Carfax and the data plate in the photos sure enough they are 2015 models. I just assumed the "Sport" model was the name they switched to by default after 2013. I even saw a 2013 Sport bumper with the old style seats. Am I wrong?

·
Registered
33 Posts
One thing that has me a little confused is if you could still get the older 2012 bumper/seats and earlier well into 2015? I saw a couple cars that were 2015 models that had the old style bumper. I thought the dealers were just claiming they were newer than they were, but when I look at the Carfax and the data plate in the photos sure enough they are 2015 models. I just assumed the "Sport" model was the name they switched to by default after 2013. I even saw a 2013 Sport bumper with the old style seats. Am I wrong?
Probably they were Grancabrio models, cabrio models still had both sports and base model separated at the time.

·
Registered
263 Posts
The base model, sport, and MC had different front bumpers and tail pipes but the interior is a big mish mash of parts that make no sense.

I hear they just keep using parts until they're used up so you might see 2013 with 2012 interior bits.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I bought a 2014 GT Convertible in February to use as my daily driver. It has the remainder of the CPO warranty on it. I'll give you the biggest negative on a convertible. The trunk is almost useless, but since the back seats are so big, it, to me, really is not that big of an issue. My research on this forum informed me that a car that has been used (miles) is a better choice than one that has sat. Better chance that all the seals and gaskets have not shrunk or deteriorated. Mine had 24,000 miles on it in 6 years. To me, that's a fair amount of use and NOT over used. I have put almost 1,500 more since Feb and the only issue I seem to have is a driver's side brake squeak that the dealer CANNOT figure out how to stop.... all for FREE, of course.
Cannot recommend more the decision to pay a few bucks more for a CPO car.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
@Trez83 How have you liked having the convertible? My initial desire was a convertible, but they just aren't common especially with my requirements. I've contemplated giving up on the convertible to make my search easier. I think the coupes look better, but the convertible just seems different from what I've had in the past. Would love to here if you think it's worth it and if you've had any drawbacks.

·
Registered
138 Posts
In Arizona, we have good weather most months to enjoy the convertible... so that was a buying factor for me. We also have quite a few imports out of Cali since they're so close. A dealer close to me gets all the lease returns. You may want to look out of state that is either a short drive or short flight.

Biggest downside I've seen is that Bluetooth Phone Audio is pretty much useless with the top down.

According to the dealer, the antenna in the car is actually a bit more blocked with the top down.

I also don't think the convertible top is as durable as the non-cabrio painted metal. I'd expect to see it fade over the years as what I've seen with older GTs.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Trez83 and Mrbobdou: Thank you for your comments and perspective. Your GTs are right in the sweet spot of my search! As you compared GTs before making a decision, was there anything in particular that you noted in cars you passed on that were consistent issues or problems? The few GTs I've seen have all looked great, with that awesome sound, but the interior wear has been very uneven in cars I've looked at locally.
Trez83--Glad to hear your's is a daily driver--I'm planning to sell my 2018 Audi A5 Cabrio that will be 3 years old in May and use the GT as my daily driver. I retired in December 2019, so ready to get out of my commuting car!
Mrbobdou--your color combination is one that I have in my online searchs--any chance of posting a picture?
Thanks
Steve

·
Registered
153 Posts
@Trez83 How have you liked having the convertible? My initial desire was a convertible, but they just aren't common especially with my requirements. I've contemplated giving up on the convertible to make my search easier. I think the coupes look better, but the convertible just seems different from what I've had in the past. Would love to here if you think it's worth it and if you've had any drawbacks.
I have a '11 'vert and I love it! Never had a convertible before this and I can honestly say I didn't know what I was missing. The symphony you hear when you open her up with the top down is priceless!!
But yes, as Trez83 says, the trunk is kinda useless. could fit a small duffel bag in it but that's about it.
As for bluetooth when you're driving....who needs to talk to someone when you're having fun? You can always call back ;)
We test drove both the coupe and convertible and my kids hands down preferred the 'vert as visibility from the back seats was much better with the top up than it is in a coupe.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I will never own a car with a solid roof, so I’m used to the drawbacks of convertible ownership ie the smaller trunk, tighter rear seats, heavier weight, less performance. But, I’m not someone who is going to take this car to 90+ mph or go race it, so I don’t care. My biggest suggestion to you is to never run it thru a car wash and if you do, NEVER get the wax or clear coat crap - it messes with the roof. A convertible is for cruising and enjoying life. A coupe is for hard driving and a bit more usefulness.

Feel free to IM me if you have any questions.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts