Maserati Forum banner

Should I buy a GS?

• If I had to do it again...I wouldn't of.

Votes: 0 0.0%
21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Had mine 4 years put 50k on it. It's my daily driver. I have no real mechanical knowledge and useless with a spanner but I do have a good mechanic. It does cost bit each year to maintain.
There have been a few issues (air con, clutch x 2, alternator, radiator x 2, battery x 2, air bag switch) but it's fun to drive and sounds great.
For the price point of these cars there is nothing else I would get.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Like you, I was enamored by these vehicles for years. In my case, it was a situation of raising 2 children and a revolving door of wives...yes, I got married 3 times, always holding me back. The kids didn't care but the wives consistently spewed forth an endless litany of "too expensive...too much maintenance (like they would have any idea) and expensive insurance..(maybe if they hadn't kept wrecking their BMW's the insurance may not have been an issue but whatever)....Anyway, now the kids are away at college and I'm single. I am fully embracing my mid-life crisis and took the plunge on an 03 CC Coupe last year and wouldn't change a thing. I would say just be prepared to get to know the car and don't be discouraged by the things you'll have to deal with because they are temperamental. At least mine is....but I love the damn thing and will happily spend whatever it takes to keep it moving ...why???? Because it's more fun than any of the ex-wives ever were! Go for it!
...I'm on #5.

·
Registered
2004 Maserati Coupe CC
175 Posts
Do it. Do it with your eyes wide open that you'll need to get a few things sorted on it, but these cars are not a "nightmare" of maintenance by any stretch! I dove in 3 years ago with a basket case of a Coupe Cambiocorsa - clutch was shot, all four cats blown out, and it had been sitting in the back of a dealer's lot for six months. But, even with all that going against it, I got her on the road once the clutch and exhaust were sorted, and nothing happened mechanically or electrically that would be surprising from that day forward, despite how brutally I drove her on and off the track.
The V8 roar, and exceptional balance of this car make it a non stop joy ride that I've found to be priceless. Seriously, during the pandemic, I'd take drives and call them "Maserati Therapy".
Dive in, post your pics, and consult the crew here every step of the way. Tons of content already here, and honestly, even if it is already posted here somewhere else, we all like talking about how we solved this or that problem.
Do it!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Todd,

I did it!

They were supposed to be loading the 04 GT yesterday, but are apparently grabbing her today; will be here this weekend (OH to NC). And I can NOT wait...that 6mt therapy is exactly what the doctor ordered...!!

I appreciate the kind words of encouragement and advice; as my first order of business is to tune her up (both to start getting familiar, and since she's been sitting for a couple of weeks), I assume I will have questions/accidental screw ups in the very near future...!

Dennis

·
Registered
586 Posts
Todd,

I did it!

They were supposed to be loading the 04 GT yesterday, but are apparently grabbing her today; will be here this weekend (OH to NC). And I can NOT wait...that 6mt therapy is exactly what the doctor ordered...!!

I appreciate the kind words of encouragement and advice; as my first order of business is to tune her up (both to start getting familiar, and since she's been sitting for a couple of weeks), I assume I will have questions/accidental screw ups in the very near future...!

Dennis
Congrats! Before you put a single mile on it, be 100% sure it's up to date on maintenance. If you are unable to verify, order this from FD and get to work.

·
Registered
42 Posts
jlobo,

Thanks!!! There are service records, but had been sitting (conditioned garage) for a month or so. They did put a new battery in, also. Peace of mind is absolutely paramount...and way less expensive, I'd wager, than screwing something up out of the gate!

Appreciate the validation on Formula Dynamics. Had gathered air/oil filters; a different oil; and plugs locally, just to have on hand...but will be calling FD as soon as they open today!!!

Appreciate you!

D

·
Registered
475 Posts
Get a CTech (sp?) or other decent battery tender and don't be afraid to use it... Better u have a full measure of voltage to ward off phantom MIL's, etc. Also, some folks subscribe to leaving the ignition on for 30 secs before going on to start the car, for self diagnostics, etc to complete, first. Dunno much about the merit of that, but... Pay attention to potential heater core leaks and make yourself up a "kit" to allow you to plumb-in a bypass if you're on a road trip, and in the middle of nowhere and need to do so.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Cdn,

Great tips, very much appreciated! Any details on the plumbing kit? Probably a thread here in this amazing forum that I'm still learning to navigate. I'm a bit of a Luddite (1961 Olivetti is my preferred method of communication), so I apologize here and everywhere for my own digital idiocy.

Had heard about the "delayed start," which makes reasonable sense. I'll pretend she's a diesel at cold iron...

Heater core was replaced 20k miles/10 years ago, according to records. Not sure if that means all is well, or failure is imminent.

I plan on driving her as much and as often as I can. Lugging a quad cab RAM 1500 up and down the road (and into parking garages) does not equal unlimited Fun Behind the Wheel...!

I really appreciate you, Oishi, jlobo, Todd, and knoxbroxton (and everyone else!)...and am anxiously awaiting word on arrival time!

·
Registered
2004 Maserati Coupe CC
175 Posts
Todd,

I did it!

Dennis
To NC?! Lots of wide open roads out there. I'm up near Seattle, but come out your way once in a while for work near Fayetteville (if you know, you know). GT is an excellent choice for out there - would drive me batty in our traffic - the CC was a good balance for me.
Buy a Launch X431 ASAP so you can read and reset all of your codes. Sort out the heater core, and check all of the rubber bits. After that, should be good to go!

Congrats, and welcome aboard!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Todd,

Thanks; yessir, NC. And I know. Slightly different flavor, but same box. Yeah...between the sandhills and the granite ones, there are a lot of great roads out here. Though the Pacific coastline is unbeatable on this side of the pond, for my money...

Have an Innova, but will grab the Launch...and, thanks for direction on the rubber...had heard that the boots can be a bear; this confirms it!

·
Registered
2005 Coupe GT 6MT, Black/Black
139 Posts

·
Registered
586 Posts
Congrats man, she's a beauty. Did you pull a Carfax yet? If not, I can for free.

FYI, that car arriving with Tubi exhaust already was like having $3000 cash in the glove box.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Thanks, brother...they had one. Showed no accidents, which is was the largest issue I was worried about. https://www.switchcars.com/media/usr/u2/g552/CARFAX_2004_Maserati_GT.pdf

Good to know on the cost of the Tubi. They also sent the stock resonator...as a souvenir, I guess. Haven't gotten underneath yet...weather threatening. Fighting urges...

Also think I burned out the mirror control panel trying to adjust them...worked fine for a bit, now neither will adjust. But this is the sweetest ride I have ever owned...wife already jealous of how I look at her...

21 - 40 of 48 Posts