Maserati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

Been a member for a while and enjoy reading and learning about the Qp5 which i have been wanting for a while. I am currently looking at a 1 Owner CA car with 22k miles. All records available since new. Always serviced at the dealer who sold it and driven about 3.5k miles per year. Is there anything specific i need to look into.

** Does an average of $3k per year budget for upkeep and service seems to be reasonable over 4-5 year period ?

** Any big ticket items i need to check if they have already been done?

** Trying to stay at $27K plus taxes does that sound too high or low?

Thanks for you input

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Some more info:

This QP has a build date of 11/2012 but sold in 2013.

I plan on driving about the same 3-3.5k miles per year

Any info as to yearly maintainance would be helpful. I had sort of stopped looking for a while considering high cost of upkeep on the 2007-2010 QP's but 2011-2013 seems more reasonable maintenance cost.

Thanks again

·
Registered
557 Posts
I would check the usual things, such as history (carfax, etc) and maintenance records. Also check on the condition of the break pads, rotors, tires, etc. Look very closely for any paint work and/or body panel repairs. Also make sure all of the windows operate smoothly, as well as the rear sun shade. The 2013 model year QP-5 cars are the best as they should have all of the little fixes and improvements in place, they also have slightly more power than previous years. Also....a 2013 Sport-GTS has got to be a RARE car indeed. I think the price you have in mind for this car is good, but the seller will likely want more. But considering the times we are living in right now....money talks....

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I intend to get a PPI done through the dealership before i purchase. Car has all records from day one and i see that 2 window switches were replaced as part of warranty. No mention of brake or rotor service but i may have missed that. Battery was changed 3 times.

As long as im not looking at 3-5k bills every now and then im ok to pay an avg of 3k per year as i intend to keep the car for atleast 3-4 years

·
Registered
557 Posts
A few other items I forgot to mention to look for are, droopy sun visors, worn suspension bushings, and bent wheels (mainly the fronts). I have a 2013 model year QP-S, I had to replace one bushing, and install a new battery, other than these minor issues the car has been rock solid reliable.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Great ill make sure when they do PPI they look at this.

Are bushings an big ticket item?

·
Registered
103 Posts
You shouldn't have any problems staying well below $3k per year as long as you don't rely on the Maserati dealership to do your routine maintenance.

2013's should be pretty bulletproof. Only items that I'd expect to possibly have to replace (besides normal servicing) over the next few years are the alternator, cam cover gaskets, thermostat, and tire pressure monitors in each wheel.

Dealership brake rotors and brake pad replacements can be very pricey and they seem to need replaced every 30k miles or so but you or an independent shop can do the job for a fraction of that. If the rotors are still in good shape you may want to consider replacing the stock Maserati Brembo agressive brake pads with some aftermarket ones that work just as good but don't wear the rotors out as fast in order to really extend the life of the rotors. This can save you a few grand all by itself.

The one thing you absolutely need to do no matter what is change the rear end fluid as it's the most overlooked item and it really should be done ever 2-3 years. You will be shocked at just how black and nasty it will be already. Probably the most important maintenance item out there.

I'd also do a drain and fill on the transmission fluid and coolant if it's more than a few years old just to see what it looks like and to replenish the additives that tend to wear out over time.

Good luck and let us know how you get on!

·
Registered
103 Posts
If you have the PPI mechanic look closely they will probably notice some sticky interior trim and buttons, the rubber pads below the springs and engine mounts most likely will be starting to crack and split, and the plastic trim below the trunk might be going bad as well.

None of these items are serious but could certainly help you negotiate a better price should they be present on this car.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
All very useful information. Next step is to get the PPI done and if all is normal then i hope i can pickup this QP finally after wanting one for quite many years.

Thanks for sharing all very useful insight

·
Registered
178 Posts
Hello all,

Been a member for a while and enjoy reading and learning about the Qp5 which i have been wanting for a while. I am currently looking at a 1 Owner CA car with 22k miles. All records available since new. Always serviced at the dealer who sold it and driven about 3.5k miles per year. Is there anything specific i need to look into.

** Does an average of $3k per year budget for upkeep and service seems to be reasonable over 4-5 year period ?

Thanks for you input
Welcome! I bought a 12' QP GTS last year for 27. It had every option except rear climate. 28K miles

So far here are things that have gone wrong
1) Alternator (replaced it myself-very rewarding)
2) Wheel sensors (easy swap - batteries die on these)
3) Valve cover seep rear - common - not to bad yet, I can replace myself.

Other then that, but 7k miles on it and couldn't be happier.
I would make sure full service done, check bushings, all error codes, engine mounts, water tank tends to crack.

It's a lot of car for the money.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello all,

Thanks for you input
I'm probably a bit late on this, but I have a QP S from that model year. The only major issue I have had is with the window motors. I've had to replace all but one. I don't know if my car was just cursed with bad units or if it's a typical problem. I think allocating $3k per year is reasonable. Most years, it should come in under that, unless you have a problematic car.

It's a great vehicle. Electronics are buggy on rare occasion (throwing out some weird, catastrophic warning for no reason), but if you turn it off and then on, that typically solves the problem. I've had mine for a few years now, and I still love the car. I'm considering making a switch in the near future, but it's really hard to give it up.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Really excited as i ended up purchasing the car i was referring to. It's a 2013 S GTS with Executive Pkg. 22900 miles one owner and serviced by the dealer. Currently en route and am really excited.

Driven BMW's most of my life and enjoy their nimble drive im looking forward to the driving experience. Currently have a 650I Grand Coupe with X Drive.

Thanks for all the input you guys i made the plunge this time.

·
Registered
2013 Maserati Quattroporte S
80 Posts
Did they sell you this as a GTS? Based on just the tail pipes it looks like an S? Any interior pics?

·
Registered
2013 Maserati Quattroporte S
80 Posts
This is a tricky one. It looks to be a S with some MC Sportline stuff. I think someone here could run the VIN, or you can email FCA to get the original window sticker I believe. As far as I know the GTS cars say GTS by the glove box and the interior is Alcantara and Carbon. A 2013 GTS is a super rare car, I'm not sure if I've ever seen one. Also oval tip exhaust that has valves is designated for the GTS as well. Either way, it looks beautiful, I've always loved the white!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts