Maserati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone!

Been reading the site for a few months now, and have just fell in LOVE with the Maserati Coupes. Gorgeous inside and out. Now I am only twenty years old, but am planning on purchasing a car in the next 2-3 months. I am looking to spend in the mid 30's, no more unless it's a godsend of a car, as mid 30's is pushing it enough for a 20 year old hahah. Originally, I was mainly looking at '04 545's, as it has a perfect blend of performance and luxury, somewhat sophisticated for my age I think. Although I won't lie, I have been having the C6 and Saleen Mustang in the back of my mind lol (though that's my young side talking, I'm sure I wouldn't go in that direction). I currently drive a Boxster and Tahoe, and love them both. Driving a nice car like a Boxster at a young age has spoiled me a bit, so it would be hard buying anything that doesn't perform! However, the Coupe's I'm sure will blow the Boxster out of the water. Anyways, enough of me rambling on. Basically, looking at eBay for fun today I ran into this;

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2002...oryZ6313QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

and realized, hey, instead of a BMW, how nice would it be to get a Maserati for the same price?! I had no idea. Now I realize the GS and CC are no comparison, but when you have a 35k budget and are looking at Maserati's, I think you could comprimise lol. So aside from the attrocious MPG, how would an '02 CC fair with someone like me? Would it be just as efficient and reliable as a 545, could I 'afford' to drive this car if I am willing to spend 35k? The only concern I would have is the F1 pump as I would love to get the paddleshifters, because have 5 thousand dollar change in the bank doesn't come easy. With the exception of that, would buying an 02 CC be responsible? Or should I stick with a 545 and just cry myself to sleep every night until I can afford to have tons of extra money sitting in the bank? I know everyone wants me to shut up by now, so basically just wanted to get some input, maybe a comparison between the 545 and CC, how reliable 02's are, etc etc. Thanks aplenty!

BTW; I live in Westlake (SoCal) and my father would have it insured under him, as I'm sure a Maserati owned by a 20 year old would throw red flags up everywheres.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Carfax

Check Carfax on this car - I did - seems to have had a significant accident.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Boxster S to Spyder

I had a Boxster S and was disappointed in the power it had. I live near some really great roads and practiced hitting the turns hard. Got so that the fellows on the rice rockets would pull over and let me go through the turns first. Coming out of the turns it was different story. They had way more acceleration than my Boxster. Now, however, it's a different story. I can hit the curves just as hard but coming out is where the extra horsepower really shows.

The Porsche shifted more cleanly than the Maserati but in all other respects (well maybe fuel economy) the Maserati is better. In the non sport suspension mode it is more of a touring car so when I do take it on a trip I can get to the destination and not feel beat to death. The interior is much more refined and nice. Being able to open the hood and show of the awesome engine is special.

Another post pointed out a potential problem with any used car and that is you probably won't know all of it's history. Mine had serious audio work done that was mostly taken out before I got it. Also it handles so incredibly well that I'm guessing it had some suspension work done as well. On the other hand when I got it the front wheels were bent badly and had to be straightened.

Hope this helps. Hard to relate all the pertinent stuff without writing too much.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
One thing people havent mentioned yet...

If 30k is already pushing it, do NOT get the car... While it is the same price as beemers and porsches.... the services and gas and tires and insurance will cost more than the car VERY quickly...

·
Registered
174 Posts
One thing people havent mentioned yet...

If 30k is already pushing it, do NOT get the car... While it is the same price as beemers and porsches.... the services and gas and tires and insurance will cost more than the car VERY quickly...
My thoughts exactly and although many wont listen to this advise. If you want to ENJOY the car make sure $35k isn't your limit. If you're anything like me you'll spend damn near the amount of your car note in fuel every month.

And lets not even mention tires and insurance like MB said.

I've been watching the forum and I'm seeing quite a few inquiries as far as people wanting to pick up 02s. And I'm happy to see that the community is growing but I would like to give fair warning that you're not buying a $40k car.... You're buying a $100k car that has deppreciated to $40k and still requires the attention of a $100k car (with no warranty).

It kinda reminds me of the Top Gear episode when the one guy owned an old @$$ Bentley from the late 80s that you could pick up for less than a brand new loaded Honda Civic. But after fuel annd maintenance its was making him broke.

Just my $.03

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How much does insurance cost annually for you all? Also, what is the typical cost to fill the tank with 91. As far as tires, the Boxster goes through tires ridiculously fast for some reason, like every six months, and there like 150 each if you don't go with Pirelli's. Basically, what would you all say is a typical annual cost for the car (insurance, maintenance, F1 pumps, tires, etc). 35k is my limit to buy a car, but maintenance costs would be split between my father and I. If it's like 10 grand a year, that might be more of a hassel than it's worth, as I don't want the car in the shop every 2 months because crap goes wrong (a la Boxster). I understand there will be maintenance and occasional problems, but if there constant I would probably stick with the 545. I'll still do some research, maybe purchase one for a year and sell if it requires too much work for my taste. Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
773 Posts
owning my

maserati since 12-02. a cc spyder. now have 20000 on ode. 20mpg at 75, in town maybe half, dont really care about cost. insurance co. let me put car under collector car group, total annual lia. cost 200! about 40 cars for all! now, next comes value declared cost of each car. bill this year, about 3000 for full coverage. looking at your budget, forgetaboutit.

·
Registered
191 Posts
545 is a strange car to compare to a Coupe as they obviously are in totally different categories, so I wouldn't bother to make that comparison. As to costs, I can help you there with my own experiences:

Insurance is $550/yr, gas about $50-60/fillup (16 mpg in mixed local/freeway use in SoCal), maintenance about $1500/yr, repairs none so far (was under warranty until this month). Set of tires ran me $1300 (Michelin PS2s). So, given you have an '02 without warranty, I'd budget maybe $5000-6000 for all of the above including repairs per year. If that's ok with you and your dad, then you're good to go.

Oh, and if the Carfax really does show a major accident, I'd consider another car. Plenty of '02s are around that price now.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Tires - $1k to 2k about every 10k miles

Service- $1 to 2k every 7500 miles

Clutch and f1- $3k each, about every 15' miles for clutch, 25 for f1(average)

Gas- 60 a tank, 10-15 mpg

Insurance- $500 to $1000 every 6 months.

Plus stuff like "italian" problems now that you are out of warranty, etc...

To put the italian problems in perspective... My reverse lever broke, fixed under warranty... If it hadn't been, would have cost $1300... For that little lever, etc.

Plus always having to valet and pay a bunch for the valet. Getting decals torn off, etc.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It's honestly beginning to sound as if this car is a big money-dump with poor quality mechanical engineering. I don't understand why a set of tires is 1.5k, that's absurd! I pay 500 a set for the Boxster and they are high performance as is. Plus, every 10k miles seems a bit excessive....Do you drive the car really aggressive or is this a very common number. I guess a BMW is going to be much more practical for someone like me, as I don't want to be living in a car to pay for repairs. I will still look into it, as I read another person post this, so it seems as if it's a case by case situation as far as annual cost is concerned;

GrndLkNatv

I don't have more than about 500.00 a year in maintenance for my 2002 Coupe. I change all the oils, flush the brakes, clean the air filter, change the plugs, do the LOF and even with brakes I probably won't see 600 or 700. Tires do cost some but you don't need those every year, every other year at most... If you do the work yourself, your Maserati is no more expensive than running a Toyota.. In fact my Maserati cost me less than my toyota this year with tires on both vehicles...

I guess I will just have to keep researching....

·
Registered
191 Posts
"sound as if this car is a big money-dump with poor quality mechanical engineering"

Ah, now you're sounding like someone who just doesn't "get it". :)

"why a set of tires is 1.5k, that's absurd!"

Because your Boxster is not *really* on top performance tires. If you are willing to put 2nd-tier tires on an Italian racecar, then, yes, it won't cost as much.

·
Registered
695 Posts
It's honestly beginning to sound as if this car is a big money-dump with poor quality mechanical engineering
Sigh.

Cameron, I notice that in your current choice of cars, you are trying to get into the first year production - '04 5 series, '02 Maser coupe. I understand the reason why because these cars usually have depreciated the most in any specific generation - thus the cars are the "cheapest" to purchase. Problem is - first year production have all the issues and generally a lack of features that are fixed or included as production continues. Some of the problems are resolved by recalls, a lot of non-safety items are not. If you are prepared to accept this - great, you won't be disappointed.

Personally, from your posts, I do not think you are emotionally, mentally, and financially prepared to deal with the unique Italian character ($$$) that these cars extrude - they are very needy.

But that doesn't mean to give up either, just wait a bit longer. In a few years, you will probably be in a better financial position to purchase an '05-06 Gran Sport that still has some warranty left.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ah, maybe I'm not ready to purchase a Maserati. I never even assumed I would be able to afford the car in the first place, so I guess when I saw the price to 'purchase' an '02 I may have got my hopes up--maybe not. And yes, you are right about the first year productions. I honestly don't care much for the extra performance and suspension, handling, etc. as much as I do the asthetics and appeal. So buying aftermarket parts if they are 1/2 the price honestly doesn't bother me (as long as my life isn't in danger lol). My father was looking to purchase an 05-06 Gransport late next year, but I don't think he realized the care and money you have to spend to keep up. A BMW would probably be a much more efficient and reliable car for someone my age, but if I can afford to buy the car, there's no saying I can't afford to keep up with maintenance and whatnot through the years as long as I play my cards right (and a little help from my father lol). As far my statement about it being a money-dump, it may have been a bit brash and immature so I apologize, I was just surprised at how aggressively some of you were trying to push me away from the car--I would have assumed you would try everything to get me to buy the car lol. I'm still going to keep researching, go to the dealership, and keep hoping. Ya never know...

·
Registered
357 Posts
Geez, what a buncha naysayers around here. Maybe you better just get a bicycle so you won't have to buy gas or tires. It's a car. Yeah, be ready to spend some cash on your ride. Just think what you'll be saving compared to other "young" guys because you have a good eye for a fine machine. You won't have to buy NOS or turbos or wings and body kits. You won't have to put a freakin TV in every nook and cranny of your pimp ride. You won't have to buy a fabricated exhaust system with a tailpipe big enough to stick your head in. I see young guys sinking many thousands into some POS Acura or Honda and just making a mess. I had a BMW puke a front trans seal while the wife was getting groceries. That's not better than frying a clutch with 390 ponies. All cars cost. The '02 Maserati Coupe is a great automobile and a phenomenal value. If that's what you want, don't let other folks who already have theirs talk you down. Read and consider and go into it with your eyes open but make up your own mind. Yeah, it's more practical to get a Camry. Did anybody else on this forum choose the Camry? Maybe you'll decide to wait awhile for it or maybe you'll see that you can do it now. My best advice is...... don't go for the Camry.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Don't get me wrong

I don't want to be viewed as someone telling you to run for the hills it will rob you blind. I just wanted to state that if $35k is the max for the budget then you might be straining yourself by getting this car. SURE all cars take gas but do all of them get 11mpg in the city?

I'd be happy if there were more memeber to the forums especially younger members. Maybe the demand for aftermarket add-ons would increase and possibly be supplied. Maybe that supercharger system idea thats been thrown around for 2+ years :)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Geez, what a buncha naysayers around here. Maybe you better just get a bicycle so you won't have to buy gas or tires. It's a car. Yeah, be ready to spend some cash on your ride. Just think what you'll be saving compared to other "young" guys because you have a good eye for a fine machine. You won't have to buy NOS or turbos or wings and body kits. You won't have to put a freakin TV in every nook and cranny of your pimp ride. You won't have to buy a fabricated exhaust system with a tailpipe big enough to stick your head in. I see young guys sinking many thousands into some POS Acura or Honda and just making a mess.
LOL! im glad someone finally said it, when the tuner cars were on hot fire 5 years ago i was always the odd ball asian kid who liked italian sports cars over the skyline, anywho im also considering a 02 coupe or maybe a 04 found a good deal, im just not 100% sure a car is capable of costing 10k a year for maintinence, i mean i recently crashed my boxster into a curb that cost me about 10k.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
If you are telling him to not worry about it and get it, you need to think about this again.

Read over what he said and then think about whether your opinion of "yeah man! cars cost money anyway! do it!" works.

The car isnt 10k a year maintenance, but along with gas, insurance, etc. it is MUCH more than 10k a year. Hell, the clutch + f1 pump replacement is about 4,500 total. Tires are about 1500 ish. Insurance, for a teen no less?

·
Registered
742 Posts
Just my two cents.....

There is no doubt in my mind, that a used Maserati coupe is the BEST bang for your italian car buck on the market today. You get incredible performance, beautiful styling, a back seat, a rare car on the road and the WOW factor. Plus you get to ride the coat tails of all the "New Generation" of Maserati with their advertising and marketing. Additionally, people still associate Maserati with Ferrari. Thats a nice class to be in.... All this for between 40 - 70K out the door....

Simply can't beat it...

That being said, the car is not perfect and has its quirks. As long as you understand them, have budgeted a few grand for the major repairs, clutch and F1 pump you should be just fine.

The 02s have had the most issues. Maserati did not produce as many 03s as 02s and most of the bugs were fixed by the late model 04 year. 05 and 06 added a front and rear facelift. This from a Maserati service tech.

If you are looking for a good entry point, you may want to consider an 04 and beyond. While you will pay more upfront, you may still get a few months of warranty, and you should have less problems than the 02s or 03s. Again, this advice from a Maserati tech.

If you do not want to pump $6,000 or so into an 02 with a new clutch, F1 pump, tires and a service, that is understandable. 15% percent of your puchase price is lost on maintenance in the first year. It may be worth the extra few thousand more to get an 04.

I can only speak from experience and I have listed all my service and maintenence bills on the service thread. I have had my 04 since July 05, and the experience has been nothing but incredible. I am a little bit of a car nut, so I only drive 6,000 a year and I am a detail fanatic.. But the car has been great.

I say this because, you would want to buy a car from an enthusiast like me rather than a Hi Li dealership if possible. All my service is up to date and my car has been pampered. Be careful of listings on ebay and the such. Make sure you do all your research before you buy.

Lastly, I have a local mechanic service my car yearly, he does every single thing the dealer does, and price is about 1,200 less each time. Just some food for thought.

Additionally, the people on this board are great.

Good luck with your purchase. CM

·
Registered
274 Posts
Now we got done with all the technical stuff, the do the donts

The do's should put themselves in his dads position,

And think would i want to pay all that extra £$ dosh/ wedge for my sons ride

On the lads side ( c,mon guys cant you feel it ,he,s getting that italian muster its creeping in there ,the lad needs nurturing , ............. what everyone forgotten to mention, is the grin factor thats worth 10k a year of any currency

You remember it guys dont you that grin that just keeps getting wider and wider everytime you sit in it yet alone play with your right foot

Regards lozcb

1 - 20 of 22 Posts