Maserati Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Been a while! Bought a new house, work is CRAZY, etc. But I thought I'd give you a quick Maserati update.....

My '05 coupe developed a loud (embarassingly loud) tapping noise almost 2 years ago (see some of my previous posts). It starts when the engine is hot (oil is thin) but goes away over 1000 RPM. I originally took it to Park Place Maserati in Dallas. All they did was replace the oil with 10W50 Mobil 1 and the noise WAS better for the first 1000 miles or so but came right back. Frustrated, I decided to try Boardwalk Maserati here in Plano.

I needed a new clutch and the engine noise looked at. First, they diagnosed a pilot bearing problem, which is under warranty. This would save me about $2000 since they have to pull the clutch anyway (total clutch cost will be $1300). Then they got serious about the engine noise. LONG story short after 6 weeks in the shop and numerous diagnostic procedures, MNA has decided to replace the entire engine! WOW! Anyone ever heard of this?

Oh well, the car will be like new (literally) when I get it back ;)

Buzz

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wow!! Count your lucky stars! Did they say what exactly the problem is/was?
I believe it was an oil pressure problem of some sort. They had replaced the passenger-side oil pump and the chain tensioner to no avail. Last test was an oil pressure test in the supply line to the tensioner... Then out of the blue, I got the word Friday that the engine's being replaced!

Buzz

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I believe it was an oil pressure problem of some sort. They had replaced the passenger-side oil pump and the chain tensioner to no avail. Last test was an oil pressure test in the supply line to the tensioner... Then out of the blue, I got the word Friday that the engine's being replaced!

Buzz

Buzz, first off welcome back! Your humor and stores have been missed! What you have just described sounds exactly like what Ed was experiencing! I haven't heard from Ed in eternity either, hopefully both of you will check in once in a while and congrats on the new engine!

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
Good to hear from you again Buzz....just yesterday I made a reference to you in a thread as a 'former' ML member. For some reason we thought you had sold the Maser for a Viper.

·
Registered
217 Posts

Buzz
Wow. I can't imagine replacing the entire engine is all that common. How many miles to you have on your coupe? Do you track the car? Just curious if this happened under normal wear and tear or what.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wow. I can't imagine replacing the entire engine is all that common. How many miles to you have on your coupe? Do you track the car? Just curious if this happened under normal wear and tear or what.
WOW! Overwelming heart felt responses but then again, not out of place for you guys! Thank you from the bottom of my heart!

OK.. Now... '05 coupe cc, bought her with 2300 miles from MoM as a lemon law buy-back (like THAT saved me any money..LOL). Pre-cats blew out at 12000 throwing a CEL. There was some finger pointing but ultimately MNA (as always) took care of me. When the pre-cats blew out, I called Tony at MNA, who was the guy who was in charge of the buy-back. He told me the reason the car was returned was because of a loud "ticking" noise in the engine but assured me all was OK because... get this... The engine was replaced! Then after the pre-cats were replaced, the motor started "ticking" WEIRD SCHMIDT!!! Now after almost 2 years.... The engine is being replaced... AGAIN?

Now, whoever bitches these cars are expensive to maintain... BS! 2.5 years... 2 engines and a clutch.... $1400 LOL! Cheaper than a Kia!

Don't get me wrong! I love this car and WILL buy another. MNA has been better than ANY car company I've ever dealt with. I mss my car but look forward getting her back.. It's like a GF in for a boob job ;)

Buzz

·
Registered
478 Posts
Buzz,

I had a similar experience, slightly lesser magnitude - transmission rather than engine. About three months after getting my car I noticed a slight 'rumble' in the rev band at around 4000 rpm. I took it into FMLI, during diagnosis they actually made audio files of the sounds, sent them to Modena. Two weeks later they called to tell me that Modena was shipping a new transmission! No cost to me due to warranty. Car had around 10,000 miles at that point. Works like a charm. They made good on the warranty for an expensive piece of work - without trying to shortchange me - and that got a lot of loyalty from me.

And no, the dealership was never able to tell me what the problem was.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Buzz,

Glad you still rolling the trident :)

One question do you know how much this would have been if not for the warranty.

This puts the fear in me for having a car thats out of warranty and why i switch right before it's up.

But with the market in the crapper I am thinking about keeping the QP even when the warranty up.

Thanks
Paul

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Buzz,

Glad you still rolling the trident :)

One question do you know how much this would have been if not for the warranty.

This puts the fear in me for having a car thats out of warranty and why i switch right before it's up.

But with the market in the crapper I am thinking about keeping the QP even when the warranty up.

Thanks
Paul
The motors MNA use are remanufactured by MNA and have a value of around $10k. Maserati dealers don't have a shop full of grease monkeys equipped to tear down an engine and replace specific parts so it's MNA's policy to replace with reman. However, an experienced independent Ferrari mechanic probably would crack the motor open and find the root cause, which would be cheaper than a whole motor.

Since I'll have a new motor and clutch, I'm keeping mine ;)

·
Registered
84 Posts
Thanks Buzz,

Keeping fingers crossed and having fun...

Paul

·
Registered
242 Posts
Welcome back Buzz! Been missing your edgy posts here (been a little dry and PG rated these days ;))

Did they give you a new dipstick too?? :D

·
Vendor
4,731 Posts
Great story Buzz... too bad it was such a hassle but glad to hear that you faired well in the long run and that Maserati took care of business.

Best Regards,
-- Jeff

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I have replaced an engine in a coupe for the same exact reason. Lifter noise that wouldnt go way. Glad to hear that Maserati stepped up to the plate.
Yeah, it was LOUD at idle. I believe it was a partially blocked oil suppy line because it was fine around 1000 RPM and when the oil was cold and thick, the noise went away completely. Waiting for the engine to come in now.

BTW, what is the value of the reman engine? I was told $10K but I don't know if I believe it.

Buzz

1 - 20 of 23 Posts