Maserati Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive found the QP I want, but its about 1000 miles away. Would it be safe to drive the QP back home or should I look into transport companies? I really dont want to transport as ive heard many horror stores from friends about recieving thier vehicle with 500-600 miles over the mileage they bought the car at, on top of having dents, scrapes, and interior damage. Would it be safe to drive the QP long distance on the freeway. This would be about a 16hr trip.

·
Registered
340 Posts
If you have a proper PPI done and are happy with the test drive then there is no reason why you can't drive the car home.

·
Registered
744 Posts
I drove my Spyder home - about 1600 miles when I picked it up. Not a hiccup.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Where's the car at?
As mentioned before, I have the right guy for the job. He delivered my car without a hitch. 1900+ miles, and the car never moved until it got to my door.

Let me know if you want his info.

P.s. he delivers race cars and many cars for Ferrari/Maserati dealers.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Where's the car at?
As mentioned before, I have the right guy for the job. He delivered my car without a hitch. 1900+ miles, and the car never moved until it got to my door.

Let me know if you want his info.

P.s. he delivers race cars and many cars for Ferrari/Maserati dealers.
The car is located in Chicago, IL.

Is there something I need to know before purchasing a car from upnorth? Anything like salt damage from the snow, ..., etc?

·
Registered
439 Posts
The car is located in Chicago, IL.

Is there something I need to know before purchasing a car from upnorth? Anything like salt damage from the snow, ..., etc?
Well I'm from Chicago, and would be more than happy to take a look at it if you'd like. My transporter is also from my area, so I can't imagine it being very expensive to ship 1,000 miles.
And chances are the owner most likely didn't drive it in the snow or the winter at all for that matter.

If you want, you can pm me the link to the car. As mentioned, I had a member from this forum that was nice enough to go look at a car for me up in California. I sent him a list of things to look for and take pictures of. He took over 40 pictures for me and answered every question I had about the car.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Try Reliable Transport. They shipped mine from Portland, Oregon, about 2500 miles away and it was perfect, they take excellent care and have great track record and insurance coverage. Saved wear and tear and reasonable cost.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Yes, I did Orlando to Oklahoma in 18 hours in my 02 Maserati Spyder when I bought it (not a QP but same engine).

You'll be fine!

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
If the weather's good, enjoy the ride. If there's gonna be snow or heavy rain, I'd transport it.

·
Registered
528 Posts
My main concern would be all the winter crap on the roads up north.
The car will get "Sand Blasted" in the Interstate.

·
5,887 Posts
Would it be safe to drive the QP back home
If it isn't safe to drive the car, don't buy it! As long as you get a PPI from a highly qualified mechanic or Maserati dealer, you should be comfortable. With that said, if you are buying sight unseen, it may be cheaper to have it shipped than to fly to Chicago and drive it back.

ive heard many horror stores from friends about recieving thier vehicle with 500-600 miles over the mileage they bought the car at, on top of having dents, scrapes, and interior damage.
This is crazy. Lots of those stories are urban legend driven by movies like Ferris Bueller's Day Off. Any reputable transporter will take care of you fine. A licensed and bonded transporter won't risk damage to a customer's car. However, if you want to go with one of the best... LOTS of people in the exotic car world rely on Horseless Carriage for transport. They have an excellent reputation in the industry.

http://www.horselesscarriage.com/

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
148 Posts
I drove my new purchase from Nashville, TN to the Oregon Coast - NO problems :) (other than 50% of the rear tire life gone)

Just make sure to have a good PPI done and drive that badboy!

HJQP
06 QP Sport/DS

·
Registered
520 Posts
In 2000, we drove a '69 Ghibli and a '75 Bora from Monterey to the East Coast. I think you can do it in a QPV at 1/3 the distance.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
In 2000, we drove a '69 Ghibli and a '75 Bora from Monterey to the East Coast. I think you can do it in a QPV at 1/3 the distance.
That must have been a FUN ride... Especially those 2 cars together on the road! My dream Maserati is a 67 Ghibli (my dream since '67) ;)

·
Registered
518 Posts
Picked up my 05 CC in Scranton PA and drove it back to Des Moines IA...one of my favorite road trips ever.

·
Registered
157 Posts
If you decide to drive, check the oil along with the other items in the PPI. The oil must be checked with the engine running and completely warmed up. I drove mine 250 miles home and then found out the car was about a quart over. Nothing happened but then it wasn't 1000 miles either.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I drove my car home from Ft. Lauderdale to Myrtle Beach, SC.

It was a pleasure, but my nerves were on edge.

Just partly from the thrill of driving it and just not used to the power and the paranoia of it all.

My other car I had put on a transporter from California.

It came on a truck that wasn't covered, and the driver saw the need to parade it around on the front. (multi cars).

So the car had a ton of bugs on the front - which took me forever to removed.

Gene

1 - 20 of 22 Posts